My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My apologies, it was mandated by Harper in 2012. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...l-fired-plant-emissions-rules/article4522237/

Lol, not once did I say anyone should go out and buy one. My responses have been based solely on the emissions an electric car produces and the cost to power one compared to gasoline, don't try to read further into it.

you do realize that gas powered cars get the first $30,000 plus in fuel free based upon the extra costs to purchase the awe inspiring Tesla 3. Actually that is 30,000 plus interest in free fuel. That is a lot of miles head start.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do realize that gas powered cars get the first $30,000 plus in fuel free based upon the extra costs to purchase the awe inspiring Tesla 3. Actually that is 30,000 plus interest in free fuel. That is a lot of miles head start.

Depends on what you compare it to, Tesla tries to market their cars against higher end cars, but compared to something like a Honda Civic yes there is a huge cost difference.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you compare it to, Tesla tries to market their cars against higher end cars, but compared to something like a Honda Civic yes there is a huge cost difference.

Tesla 3 compared to higher end cars? Certainly not with looks!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My apologies, it was mandated by Harper in 2012. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...l-fired-plant-emissions-rules/article4522237/

Lol, not once did I say anyone should go out and buy one. My responses have been based solely on the emissions an electric car produces and the cost to power one compared to gasoline, don't try to read further into it.

Ok, some please explain why you DONT own one, if, in fact, it makes so much sense both financially, performance wise, and operationally?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, the only reason I do not have one is that I have five fully functional ICE vehicles that are a long way from being worn out. The next vehicle I purchase is very likely to be an EV. From that purchase on likely for the balance of my life, I will probably continue to own both ICE and EV vehicles.

Something I notice is that it seems like some feel if an EV doesn't satisfy every one of their needs then it is useless. Four of my five ICE vehicles are substantially different than the rest because I do not see ANY single vehicle as suiting all my needs. I guess if you are limited to only one, then you are stuck with buying what suits most of your needs.

Ok, some please explain why you DONT own one, if, in fact, it makes so much sense both financially, performance wise, and operationally?

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.

But not everyone has the money to own 5 or 6 vehicles which they can pick and choose when/how they use them.

right now, EV in Vancouver or Toronto, you will be able to use most of the year and easily find refuelling stations. Using as a commuter makes sense 80% of the time in these locations.

i don't live in either places, cannot afford multiple vehicles that I can use when conditions are "just right".

if you want to spend more on an EV up front, are ok with dropping 6 grand into new batteries in 10 years, can handle reduced battery capacity in cold weather, have 6 hours to recharge it when required, and are ok with not using it 100% of the time, fill your boots.

Just don't preach why EV's are so much better than conventional fuel efficient ice vehicles. Right now they are not. Maybe in 10 years. Not right now.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EV is one conversation and nobody really cares a whole bunch at this time.. Not affordable for most people is the issue i see - if affordable not practical as many of our situation i'm sure..

If you are into Tech - TESLA is for you - those cars are next level in every way, Tesla is driving the future of vehicles IMO.. From the highest of Tech like there EV and battery system, self driving and over the air service and updates so all cars are kept up to date and then the simplest of Tech such as tilt the car for tire changes, heated wipers and nozzles, power gull wings.. Doesn't fit my style right now, maybe someday..

Rogers Pass charging station is sweet, be pulled in there with my 350 in the not to distant future i'd be willing to bet..

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
47km drive in -22 degrees and wind. Used 9 kWh.
47km drive in -31 degrees. Used 11 kWh.
Total trip cost about $2.00

In warmer temps my total kWh used is more like 14-16.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
47km drive in -22 degrees and wind. Used 9 kWh.
47km drive in -31 degrees. Used 11 kWh.
Total trip cost about $2.00

In warmer temps my total kWh used is more like 14-16.

not sure where you are getting your power, but the 2$ sounds like just the usage charge(0.10 cents/Kw, 20 KW used)

that translates into $ 6 after you add in all transmission and extra extra cost. that is what you are out of pocket.

chevy cobalt(not sure what you drive, maybe comparable car????) gets 10 l/100 k. your trip was 94 K. Thats 9.4 litres.

so at 98 cents a litre, thats $ 9.21 for that trip with a ICE and comparable??? car.(out of pocket)

So your EV is about 34% more efficient in operating costs vs an ICE. (winter driving)

im not an expert on initial cost comparison or maintenance cost comparison. i do know a bit about the limitations, but you can chalk that into the PITA category vs financial comparison

right now(personally), the numbers are not there to justify an EV.

just saying.

seems like those who own/support EV's right now try to make the facts appear better than what the critics point out.

EV.jpg

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
"seems like those who own/support EV's right now try to make the facts appear better than what the critics point out."

This is simple human nature, we see it in brand loyalty with sleds every day.

I'm intrigued by the idea of EV's but see real issues in the future with the environmental impacts of battery production & disposal and demand on the power grid inflating consumer costs.

Those batteries are produced in 3rd world countries with zero environmental regulation nor regard for the land/people - we get shamed over the oilsands, look at nickel, lithium and cobalt mining.

All over north America we have rolling black-outs during heat waves when everyone is taxing the system with AC - how are 270 million vehicles going to impact capacity?

I'm not against EV's I think the idea is cool and newer technologies will make them more convenient - longer range, quicker charging etc. but I do not buy into the idea that ICE's are destroying the climate.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A. If the price of electricity quadruples it'll be because of a huge carbon tax or a sharp increase in the price of fossil fuels, the price of gasoline or diesel would also go up accordingly.

B. It is not naive to think that businesses in a free market economy would invest money into an industry where a return on investment would be realized. Have you ever wondered why huge sums of money are invested in oil companies and numerous oil production facilities are built when the price of oil goes up? Did you also notice that in 2014 the price of oil dropped because so many oil production facilities were built that supply outstripped demand?

C. It's also an invalid argument. Over the average lifetime of a car the electric version still produces less emissions than a gasoline version, even if the electric was powered by electricity sourced solely from coal power plants.

I play the power game every day at work, we control an 80MW / hr block of power that we either use or sell back to the grid plus we produce 6mw / hr. This province has so little power available in times of need that we are utilizing tie lines from BC, Sask and Montana at the same time pretty much steady when it’s either really cold or hot out. And at those times the power goes from $30-$40 a MW to $999 / mw. To say small companies will step up and build little power plants when prices are high is like pissing in the ocean, it won’t help, we need thousands of MW’s more of power just to supply us during extreme usage times . Currently more MW worth of power plants are being phased out than being built, been so every year since NDP life started. I’m sure not many people know but last week the province was in a Level 1 energy emergency alert for a couple days straight, we only had 84 MW of power in reserve for an entire province, at the time Alberta was using over 10,000 MW / hr, with over 3000 of that being supplied from other provinces and state. Without some major producers being built, like 1000MW size plants, we are in for a world of trouble when it comes to power prices, and those size of plants don’t just pop up in a Years time lol, they are massive projects that could take a couple years to complete or more.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a monthly bill right now. 1300kWh used and the total bill is $259. So lets say $0.20/kWh all in. Trip cost $4.00 (my mistake). This is in the absolute worst conditions for an EV as well. I'm not sure that a chevy cobalt would get its rated fuel economy in -30 either.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Nice 2000th post.....

I play the power game every day at work, we control an 80MW / hr block of power that we either use or sell back to the grid plus we produce 6mw / hr. This province has so little power available in times of need that we are utilizing tie lines from BC, Sask and Montana at the same time pretty much steady when it’s either really cold or hot out. And at those times the power goes from $30-$40 a MW to $999 / mw. To say small companies will step up and build little power plants when prices are high is like pissing in the ocean, it won’t help, we need thousands of MW’s more of power just to supply us during extreme usage times . Currently more MW worth of power plants are being phased out than being built, been so every year since NDP life started. I’m sure not many people know but last week the province was in a Level 1 energy emergency alert for a couple days straight, we only had 84 MW of power in reserve for an entire province, at the time Alberta was using over 10,000 MW / hr, with over 3000 of that being supplied from other provinces and state. Without some major producers being built, like 1000MW size plants, we are in for a world of trouble when it comes to power prices, and those size of plants don’t just pop up in a Years time lol, they are massive projects that could take a couple years to complete or more.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That argument doesn’t make sense. That’s like saying what happens if you get stuck on Rogers pass in -20 with less than a quarter tank of fuel. At least there is a charger at the pass. Don’t think there are any gas stations however.

They will give you some fuel if you ask nice lol, they filled a 20l jerry can up there for me back in 2004 when I was waiting 7 hours for the highway to open and didn’t think I had enough fuel in my Jeep to make it to revy. They wouldnt even take money, nice fellow

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't increase, it will increase at the same rate as the fuel it is generated from or at least very close to the same rate. thanks This won't really apply to BC, those rates are set by your communist government.

Price of fuel has been pretty steady on average for the last 10 years at least, price of power is on a steady incline the last 10 years, proof is in the pudding, I burn lots of fuel and use lots of power at work, in 08 I was paying about $1 / litre of gas, paying under that now. At work our average power price is up almost double since 2008, this bad boy is a 10,000 hp electric motor drawing 8MW /hr at the moment, capable of over 10mw, we have 7 of them running almost 24 hours a day, I think I have an idea where I’m coming from

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure where you are getting your power, but the 2$ sounds like just the usage charge(0.10 cents/Kw, 20 KW used)

that translates into $ 6 after you add in all transmission and extra extra cost. that is what you are out of pocket.

chevy cobalt(not sure what you drive, maybe comparable car????) gets 10 l/100 k. your trip was 94 K. Thats 9.4 litres.

so at 98 cents a litre, thats $ 9.21 for that trip with a ICE and comparable??? car.(out of pocket)

So your EV is about 34% more efficient in operating costs vs an ICE. (winter driving)

im not an expert on initial cost comparison or maintenance cost comparison. i do know a bit about the limitations, but you can chalk that into the PITA category vs financial comparison

right now(personally), the numbers are not there to justify an EV.

just saying.

seems like those who own/support EV's right now try to make the facts appear better than what the critics point out.

View attachment 215692

My Chrysler 200 C with a 3.6 v6 and 9 speed gets about 6-6.5L 100km in summer and 7-7.5 L / 100km in winter due to different tires and colder temps, sounds like that Tesla isn’t a whole lot better than it is efficiency wise

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo the quality and style of a cobalt vs tesla isnt even close
thats like comparing your ranger to a platinum f350

Top Bottom