My experience with the Tesla Model 3

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tesla had a sale on their auto pilot for 6000 dollars, it comes with a computer upgrade that increase the hp by a 100.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tesla had a sale on their auto pilot for 6000 dollars, it comes with a computer upgrade that increase the hp by a 100.

This is not true at all. It was on sale for 2600$ briefly. It’s now $6600. This is the hardware 3 upgrade also known as Full self driving computer. This new computer has 10 times the graphics processing (designed in house by Tesla) power of the current Nvidia hardware. This will enable all the cameras to run at full resolution. Right now they are using lower resolutions because they are tapped out for processing power. The full self driving has absolutely nothing to do with horsepower.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, they charge extra for auto pilot?

Autopilot is a software upgrade. Autopilot is a combination of traffic aware cruise control and auto steering lane keeping. Autopilot does not change lanes for you.

Enhanced autopilot is what I have on my car. So this has all the things that standard autopilot has as well as a feature called navigate on autopilot. This just updated today and now does lane changes without confirmation. Very cool. It also includes summon which allows you to move your car with your phone and park it in a garage.

Full self driving will be inputting a destination and the car doing everything else. Recognizing traffic lights, stop signs, turning left at an intersection in traffic, etc. Will still have to supervise it until it gets to the point where they are comfortable saying no driver input at all.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son bought that upgrade that was on sale briefly. Not sure who will be installing the computer though. He said it comes with a hp increase from 60 -70 mph. I am not sure how you have this, as i thought it's release date was not until 2019.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Autopilot is a software upgrade. Autopilot is a combination of traffic aware cruise control and auto steering lane keeping. Autopilot does not change lanes for you.

Enhanced autopilot is what I have on my car. So this has all the things that standard autopilot has as well as a feature called navigate on autopilot. This just updated today and now does lane changes without confirmation. Very cool. It also includes summon which allows you to move your car with your phone and park it in a garage.

Full self driving will be inputting a destination and the car doing everything else. Recognizing traffic lights, stop signs, turning left at an intersection in traffic, etc. Will still have to supervise it until it gets to the point where they are comfortable saying no driver input at all.

Johnny, let me know when you can just tell it to wake you up when you get to Revelstoke.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you like it? How smooth is it at holding a corner, changing lanes, etc...?

Our Explorer does fairly decent with lane assist and adaptive cruise control, I can only imagine that the Tesla is substantially better.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadas lines are usually not well defined and in the winter they are not visible at all. Auto pilot works best with good lines and even better with the updated computer.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadas lines are usually not well defined and in the winter they are not visible at all. Auto pilot works best with good lines and even better with the updated computer.

No one has an updated computer yet. Unless you purchased in March (model s/x) or April (model 3).

FSD computer has 21x the processing power as the Nvidia card that was used in prior built models.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot don’t know how to. Not sure how a owner/manager can send a guy through the hills without knowing how to slap some chains on

It's easy when they have no clue themselves. Transport is just a list of destinations for most dispatchers and fleet managers. The sh!t you gotta drive through isn't on their radar until after product is late. :/

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much fun being an investor at Tesla....no profit made in over 12 years......maybe that will turn around soon.....

Tesla Net Income, Millions...
2019 Q1:-702
2018: -976
2017: -1,961
2016: -675
2015: -889
2014: -294
2013: -74
2012: -396
2011: -254
2010: -154
2009: -56
2008: -82
2007: -78

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a mercedes diesel capable of running off the power of the sun?
Does it have any self driving or autonomy features?
170 engine HP LOL
I'm sure it never needs any maintenance and parts from your local benz dealer are very reasonably priced.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a mercedes diesel capable of running off the power of the sun?
Does it have any self driving or autonomy features?
170 engine HP LOL
I'm sure it never needs any maintenance and parts from your local benz dealer are very reasonably priced.

Is Tesla loosing billions of dollars? Where is your resale value if they pull the plug (pardon the pun) Where is your service and support?

His point was emmisions, supposedly the big calling card for Tesla.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Tesla loosing billions of dollars? Where is your resale value if they pull the plug (pardon the pun) Where is your service and support?

His point was emmisions, supposedly the big calling card for Tesla.

I’’m more worried about Daimler going bankrupt than Tesla right now.

Supposedly, according to an in depth study by oilprice.com. Why isn’t the coal industry pushing the electric car if it’s so healthy for their profit?

Top Bottom