mpi stage 1 problems

mxguy339

Reaction score
i just installed a mpi stage one supercharger and am have problems.....the sled will barely start and then i have to use the throttle to keep it running it will run for about 30 seconds and then die....anybody else had this problem?? Note set up fuel controller as per mpi's instructions

mxguy339

Reaction score
thats another thing i don't understand it will read 13.5 to 14 and then it will go off the charts and my guage wont read it anymore

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read up quite a bit as I'm going to be installing a kit as soon as I have time. I can't offer any real world expereince but if you post up some detail on the TotallYamaha site there is a lot of tuning expereince thier, I'm sure someone will have seen what your experiencing. The more detail the better as thier is a lot going on...

mxguy339

Reaction score
thanks shawnmcgr i ended up giving the throttle return spring another wrap cause the boost goin through would hold the throttle blades open for a second that solved my problem and tuned my fuel controller and it runs great...i think i seen that u were only gonna run 5lbs?? you might not have that problem but keep it in mind.....i should add that i got it to idle after finding that one of the vent lines was plugged but ran into another problem where when i hit half throttle it took of and kept goin even if i let off the throttle....that is y i had to tighten the throttle return spring

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, sounds like you by-passed the tors? Is this standard for installing these chargers?

Good to hear you got it running with the GEMS....I hear a lot of negative comments bout the GEMS. I was going to try a boondocker box as it lets you save 5 maps.

Which vent line was plugged?

Ya, I'm planning on 5lbs to start so I don't have to run race gas. I'll run 50/50 while I'm tuning just to be safe. A BOV might help with boost holding your throttle bodies open as well. I'd like to run a BOV just to hear the boost dump!

If I feel the need for more boost I'll install a head shim to run 11lbs.

l8r Shawn.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, sounds like you by-passed the tors? Is this standard for installing these chargers?

Good to hear you got it running with the GEMS....I hear a lot of negative comments bout the GEMS. I was going to try a boondocker box as it lets you save 5 maps.

Which vent line was plugged?

Ya, I'm planning on 5lbs to start so I don't have to run race gas. I'll run 50/50 while I'm tuning just to be safe. A BOV might help with boost holding your throttle bodies open as well. I'd like to run a BOV just to hear the boost dump!

If I feel the need for more boost I'll install a head shim to run 11lbs.

l8r Shawn.

So should I just start picking you up some race fuel now then? :D I'm good for either C12 or C14 in my motor, just tell me what you want to go halfers on a barrel of and I'll order it....:D

Top Bottom