Mouse problem

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any hints on how to keep mice out of a fifth wheel over the winter? We store it inside a shed, use mothballs and Irish spring soap around the tires and jacks, have spray foamed all the holes etc. thought for sure this would be the year to be mouse free but once again there is crap everywhere. Multiple traps set inside and they are all tripped but no dead ones. Wife's getting a little pissy now.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's really weird, it must be the area your storing it being bad for attracting them. In 5 years I think now, never ever a issue. Just parked in the open, no mothballs no traps no nothing. But park it on gravel no grass or anything nearby. Might make a difference?

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might try that in the fall. The whole reason for parking inside was to keep it out of the weather. Had it for 6 years now and it still looks new but the whole mouse thing is disgusting.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Freaken pecker head mice. I killed 6 in my truck??? Not sure how they were getting in but pissed me off. I've heard like metal SOS scrub pads work for plugging holes. Maybe get a cat or two for your shop next yr.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 10 barn cats and I rarely even see mice let alone have them in any parked vehicles

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mice will on hang around for 2 reasons food and shelter and they need BOTH 2 stay you are offering them shelter now you have to find the food source whether can be household food or not it can lawn seed, grain, flower bulbs, eco friendly fertilizer made with corn gluten ( yeah learned the hard way on the corn gluten) get rid of food source if that don't work move trailer into an empty field. Mice are always on the move they may prospect things but if it doesn't meet both criteria they will move on

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Mice will on hang around for 2 reasons food and shelter and they need BOTH 2 stay you are offering them shelter now you have to find the food source whether can be household food or not it can lawn seed, grain, flower bulbs, eco friendly fertilizer made with corn gluten ( yeah learned the hard way on the corn gluten) get rid of food source if that don't work move trailer into an empty field. Mice are always on the move they may prospect things but if it doesn't meet both criteria they will move on

The mouse whisperer...

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife takes every little bit of food out every fall. Only thing in there was one box of Kleenex and some towels. Nothing really to appealing in my mind.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My ex wife puts Bounce (and they have to be Bounce) sheet's all over the floor of her trailer, as well as using steel wool at any opening she can find. The trailer sit's out at Moyie Lake BC all year and hasn't moved since new in 04. She has never had a problem, my trailer sits on my gravel drive way and I do nothing. But I do have 2 resident hawks here, and have seen yotee's in my yard summer and winter

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard mice don't like to run on sharp gravel. Parking on gravel may be the key. I've given this mouse/trailer thing some thought over the years. There are only 3 spots a mouse can access a trailer and 4 for a fifth wheel. The wheels, the jack and or jack stands. If someone invented something to go around your wheels and jacks that is flat to the ground and to slippery to climb vertically there is no way they should be able to get into the trailer. Anybody heard of something like this on the market?

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We put bounce sheet every where in the trailer and have never had a mouse in 8 years. We have parked on grass and gravel. We put the sheets in every opening on the outside, all vent and storage compartments and all over the inside. Also the trailer always smells spring fresh. Lol

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about those electronic mouse buzzer things? Anyone tried them to see if they work. I could leave the unit plugged in all winter.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup nothing seems to work we have trid everything out there cabfresh and irish spring soap and all the other solutions havnt had no luck

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very simple solution...Put rat poison in a can or dish on the floor and you won't even see any mouse sh*t. Used this for years and it works, those traps are junk.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We put new Bounce sheets in all the heater vents when I winterize. They stay in all summer. Makes the trailer smell nice and they catch any crap that might fall in the vent. I also keep my trailer at my parents acreage. It's in the open near their house away from the bush line. I've owned the trailer since '05 and not one single mouse. My dad has never had a problem either with his motorhome.

Top Bottom