Mouse proofing your trailer

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I had the foam etc. trailer undercoated was solid for two years then somehow they started getting in again. Looked and looked could not/have not found hole. Switched to ultrasonic 3 years ago have not had a problem since. It goes without sayin that don't give them a reason to go in there in the first place. Make sure it's clean and free of any food!! Did use dial soap in the boat when it was stored outside the first year and that seemed to work too.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I hate to be the bad guy here but this is a touchy subject for me as I have been living in my trailer down at the ol mans for the past couple of months and have been trying to battle the mice. I have tried bounce sheets and all they do is keep the mouse crap from hitting the floor, they dont work. I have spent HOURS puting steel wool in every crack or crevice I can find as well as foaming ares that I can. I then put mouse poison around the wheels, in compartments etc and my dog ate the poison, $600 later I still had a dog but reviewed my situation. I also heard that they dont like the smell of cedar or Irish spring, tried that and it doesnt work, again they were crapping around it! I have not tried this ultrasonic but I feel that I have put in a great effort and have decided that if they want to get in you are screwed, there are just too many little holes in your trailer that you cant even see or get to. The mice were really bad this year and I have moved my trailer into a heated shop and havent seen one since. Its a tough battle and I think that most of these remedies are old wives tales as I have seen daily that they dont work. Just my opinion, next year i will try the ultrasonic!:confused:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bad guy here but this is a touchy subject for me as I have been living in my trailer down at the ol mans for the past couple of months and have been trying to battle the mice. I have tried bounce sheets and all they do is keep the mouse crap from hitting the floor, they dont work. I have spent HOURS puting steel wool in every crack or crevice I can find as well as foaming ares that I can. I then put mouse poison around the wheels, in compartments etc and my dog ate the poison, $600 later I still had a dog but reviewed my situation. I also heard that they dont like the smell of cedar or Irish spring, tried that and it doesnt work, again they were crapping around it! I have not tried this ultrasonic but I feel that I have put in a great effort and have decided that if they want to get in you are screwed, there are just too many little holes in your trailer that you cant even see or get to. The mice were really bad this year and I have moved my trailer into a heated shop and havent seen one since. Its a tough battle and I think that most of these remedies are old wives tales as I have seen daily that they dont work. Just my opinion, next year i will try the ultrasonic!:confused:
you have to plug every crack and crevice man, or they will continue to get in. take a trouble light and go over your trialer inside and out with one guy holding the light inside while you look outside. got any slides on your trailer? check the weather stripping around your slides, also check where your plumbing exits the trailer, sometimes there is a pretty good gap around the pipes they can get into. if you can stick your finger in the hole, they will get in.

I hear you on the touchy subject deal, before I got mine sealed up the ol' lady would freak out if she saw a turd anywhere, and completely strip the trailer and bleach everything. made it so that she hated camping. she went out once and had a friend help her set up the trailer at the campsite, they didn't close the little flap over the power cord....in a matter of 8 hrs 10 mice had migrated up the cord and into our trailer. I had everything inside sealed up so they could only get under the tub in the bathroom, the fellas were calling me the "mouse whisperer" after catching mice all weekend until they were gone. brutal

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
You won't be dissappointed with the ultrasonic. Buddy has a garage out at the lake with a dirt floor! Has had an ultrasonic in there for years and NO mice problems. I think that is what sold me but 4 years now and no mice in the holiday trailer. Actually I use them everywhere, shop, garage, hot tub. Just make sure you read directions regarding coverage area. They differ between manufacturers.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ultrasonic work well thats what we use in our work camp, just move them to a different outlet every month or so and really cuts the population down.

Also try to park on large rough gravel if possible they hate crossing that terrain.
sprinkle perimeter with mouse poison. And supposedly they hate minty type smells?

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like teeroy said above steel wool in every crack and crevices you can find will usually keep them out but you have to make sure you go over the trailer pretty good cause if there is anything you forget to plug they will be in. I use the ultrasonic in the garage and it works awesome but usually not an option for most of us on the trailers when in storage all winter without power

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
soooo....with the rolleyes i assume you are being sarcastic about the good advice part? explain please....

It shouldn't be a :rolleyes: icon. More like I agree Icon.
My ex wife, and I forgot to pull out the steel wool one winter, from her trailer. And couldn't figure out why our eyes were burning so much, and getting headaches.

We plugged the hole to the exhaust outlet, and didn't unplug it, when we used it for sledding one Long weekend. We ended up going to the nearest town (Cranbrook) and getting a room. The next day I walked the trailer and found the problem.

So there is no sarcasim intented in my previous post. Just agreeing with you, and making sure ppl pull it out, and don't forget.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go under trailer at night with a flash light, find any holes pug them with silicone and stee wool, we spent about 4 nights until we couldnt find anymore. once you do this never have to put a trap in your trailer

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a :rolleyes: icon. More like I agree Icon.
My ex wife, and I forgot to pull out the steel wool one winter, from her trailer. And couldn't figure out why our eyes were burning so much, and getting headaches.

We plugged the hole to the exhaust outlet, and didn't unplug it, when we used it for sledding one Long weekend. We ended up going to the nearest town (Cranbrook) and getting a room. The next day I walked the trailer and found the problem.

So there is no sarcasim intented in my previous post. Just agreeing with you, and making sure ppl pull it out, and don't forget.
my bad.....:beer:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Hey Teeroy it sounds like you and I should camp together because I laughed out loud when you described your wife cleaning and bleaching everything cuz my wife did the exact same thing 3 times this year! I have an older trailer (1988) and we are going to upgrade next year and I am going to put all my effort into mouseproofing the new one, this one has done the job for 5 years and it is time to move on. I like the flashlight idea, i never tried that and I will be trying ultrasonic for sure. There is alot of good ideas here boys, good thread.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Teeroy it sounds like you and I should camp together because I laughed out loud when you described your wife cleaning and bleaching everything cuz my wife did the exact same thing 3 times this year! I have an older trailer (1988) and we are going to upgrade next year and I am going to put all my effort into mouseproofing the new one, this one has done the job for 5 years and it is time to move on. I like the flashlight idea, i never tried that and I will be trying ultrasonic for sure. There is alot of good ideas here boys, good thread.
lol....she hates mice! I told her man has been surviving for thousands of years with mice everywhere, she said I'm welcome to go back there....lol. she sees one turd and it's the end of the world....

BogDog2

Reaction score
yeh i go along with the steel wool and the irish spring for a couple bucks you get about 5 bars steel wool is cheap plug any hole you see if you miss one the bars will stop e'm. i have done this with my trailer every year and leave it at the lake. only problem is the 2 legged kind that can't leave other peoples ch!t alone. don't waste your money on those sonic pieces of crap their costly and when there's no power useless. Cheers:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I lost count how many times the trailer has been stripped and bleached after mice got in!! lol Glad thats over, I started running power to my trailer three years ago for storage. Does two things, one ultrasonic keeps mice out and two I leave the batteries in year round. Used to pull them every year now don't have to as the trailer keeps them charged just right and a charged bat won't freeze. I just check the fluid levels in the spring and shes ready to go. Also if I have lots of company and need to put someone up in the trailer I'm pretty much ready to go.

When I wired the shop in the back of our property I wired in a 30 amp plug right where I park the trailer for this very purpose. :beer::d:beer:

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, we use 50 or so bounce sheets inside, a few boxes of mothballs around the wheels and perimeter outside, and about 30 little bags of poison scattered all over the area and nearby trees. I've been considering a long cord for a few ultrasonics.

hate those little fuc$rs

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Cab fresh They are basically large air freshner pouches and mice don't like them been using them in our Tractors and Combines for years Started using them in my trailer three years mouse free.

ajay

Reaction score
Agree with Catman and Rider, tried the irish spring in my combine and the mice ate half bar by spring. Tried cab fresh and seems to work better. Put moth balls all over cab and even in the vents and it didnt slow them down. Going to try the sonic unit this year.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
fuggin mice! nasty little creatures. We had mice in our last one after we parked in some long grass in September when it was starting to get cold. NASTY. I stripped everything down, bleached it, threw all the food away, took all the dishes and cutlery in and sanitized it. Thought i cleaned it all good and everytime that darn trailer went down the road little mouse turds would come out of nowhere:rant::rant:

So then i bought 2 boxes of bounce, littered the trailer with them and it seemed to work (knock on wood)

but note to self: dont forget any lying around, the taste/smell of bounce will get into your food :eek::eek:

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like everyone, we have had mouse problems in our trailer. Our trailer is stored at a trailer lot. I put 3 mouse traps in different places and check them at least once a month through the winter. Also have stuffed steel wool in every hole I can find in the walls , unside cupboards , etc and used spray foam. Seems to have stopped them last year so hopefully again this winter.

Found these screens this summer so had to put them on. Here is a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00059.jpg
    IMG00059.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom