Morrisey staging area Fernie

hosmersled

Reaction score
tembec/canfor has indicated they will be logging for the next 2 year ...so it looks like Morrisey is closed for now.

FSA will be grooming the Coal Creek trail up past the new Rolling Hills cabin and through to the Wranglers cabin

Derek,Bundy and some of the other guys have rebuilt and expanded the Wranglers cabin

turbofarmer

Reaction score
Thanks for info. I've seen pics of new cabin. Great work to all involved, can't wait to get out and see it.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is going to be that Coal Creek staging area will get to be too busy this year.
Having an alternate access to the pipeline to the west of Fernie would be better for myself and several others I know who ride the area.

Anyone know if you can stage around the Grasmere area and get over the MacDonald range (east of highway 93) and drop down into the Ram Creek riding area?

turbofarmer

Reaction score
can stage down lodgepole at the gas valve station. also last year could go half way into ram creek with truck. massive riding area, and virtually no traffic. Rode three days in there last year we were only ones in there. rolling hills/pipeline can get very busy. Easy access means many people!

clintonk

Reaction score
A bit too much info disclosed guys.... Some stuff is best left not mentioned. Thx.

turbofarmer

Reaction score
most people wont know where to go back there anyhow! point taken though. cheers

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hopefully get it built this week Doug. Got a trip planned pretty soon. Looks like yours is coming along nicely!

If I had to go for a ride today……..hahahaha…….I could have some garlic shrimp.

I want to install a unique wrap this year but the boys are soooo busy getting sleds ready and the paper work done that I'm respecting their space for awhile.

I should have a few more LinQ's in the mail today (special ones in the ATV catalogue) so I can build a snowshoe rack. That will be exciting as they have always sat on the tunnel and I don't like the scratches they leave.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly…..:D

thats too bad, I rode Golden for probably 10 years now, and never had a problem with them guys showing us some good areas to play in, which is why I kept going back. Fernie is a lot closer for me too ride but if you guys don't want us there I can continue going to Golden haha. Just saying!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last time we went to a "off the grid" area (not in Fernie), some guys from "east" parked across the entire parking lot with their 2 4-places like they owned the place (where they were from has to do with the next sentence - i'm not bagging on the flatlanders). They asked us about the area and said it was their first time in this area in the mountains, but they'd read about it on the internet. Thank god the staging area was plowed or they would have had a long ways to back out. Someone on the internet forgot to tell them about the lack of parking and that it was a high avy risk area. None had avy gear. They didn't want to ride with us directly, they just wanted us to go first so that they could follow our tracks to know where to go across the avy chutes... Our group was torn between leaving the area entirely in case there was any incidents, someone's else's "information" off the internet could have put us in a situation we didn't want to be (leading a group of newcomers into terrain they were not prepared for).

Just something to keep in mind before posting locations/directions.......there are more people reading this than you think and you may be involving more people than you know. The internet can be a great friend or a cruel mistress. The forums make it very easy to put in very little effort into finding riding areas, and where's the adventure in that? Some things should just be left for people to explore on their own. Just my opinion.

turbofarmer

Reaction score
I was actually replying to the previous post in which someone was asking an alternate route into an area he was already well aware of. The areas I mentioned aren't really "off the grid", as they are both posted on fernies well available trail map. The area I was talking about was only staging areas. If not aware of where to go from there then it would be a long day of riding forest service roads. I know this area very well and in no way was I endangering newbie sledders. I am from 'east' and have been sledding in the mountains for many years, so I do believe in trying to find different areas and ways in as an adventure. Just my opinion.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was actually replying to the previous post in which someone was asking an alternate route into an area he was already well aware of. The areas I mentioned aren't really "off the grid", as they are both posted on fernies well available trail map. The area I was talking about was only staging areas. If not aware of where to go from there then it would be a long day of riding forest service roads. I know this area very well and in no way was I endangering newbie sledders. I am from 'east' and have been sledding in the mountains for many years, so I do believe in trying to find different areas and ways in as an adventure. Just my opinion.

My post was about how easy the internet can make it look, not a personal attack on what you said. You seem like you know what's going on, lots of others don't though and they aren't prepared like you. Mother nature don't suffer no fools. The internet cannot convey all the information sometimes, or the difficulty.

Recently someone told me they got their information off the internet and followed our tracks from the staging area (this was another "off the grid" area). The internet made it seem easy, "You just drive here and go, follow the tracks." They were telling me this as I was helping them turn their wife's sleds around on a big slope, known to slide, 37 kms back from the trucks, which were 25 kms off the highway, at 4 pm in the afternoon. Like wtf? They followed our tracks right up the slope and didn't have the power to make it (one of those slopes you are committed to until you make the top). We were low on fuel and daylight and our group put ourselves in an uncomfortable spot to get them squared away, all because of bad intel from the www. Sorry if I'm jaded but seen this far too many times now, got a wife and 2 great little girls at home to think about and getting tired of sticking my neck out for peeps in over their heads because the internet made it look easy.

Last edited:

turbofarmer

Reaction score
Yes very true people don't understand what the backcountry actually is. Not a fully accessible resort. Thats why I keep detailed directions and comments to private messages, and to people capable of the area. My comments on this post were very broad and vague and I would not lead anyone into areas that they aren't prepared for.

Top Bottom