Modern Diesel Engines

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow we need snow in a bad way. I was impressed as the brand battling here had kind of subsided but here we are back into it with a vengeance LOL.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run 5W40 or 0W40 synthetic, use fuel conditioner, plug in during extreme cold if you can, let the glow plugs do their thing, let it warm up for 5-10 mins and drive it.

This isn't 1994 anymore, all 3 modern diesels start just fine in the cold.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did notice my 2016 Ram starts better than my 2008 in minus 10

Since that is all the cold it has been in since I got it.

Buy what you like and enjoy.

Once it’s running it’s all about the cab comforts.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From 2019 F350 manual:

Your vehicle may have a cold weather starting strategy that prevents severe engine damage by assisting in engine lubrication warm-up. In extremely cold ambient temperatures, this strategy activates and prevents the accelerator pedal from being used for 30 seconds after you start your vehicle. A message appears in the information display as your vehicle warms up. By not allowing the accelerator pedal to be used, the engine oil is allowed to properly lubricate the bearings preventing engine damage due to lack of proper lubrication. After the 30 second warm-up period, the accelerator pedal willbe operational again and a messageappears informing you the vehicle is ok to drive.

Cold Weather Operation Note: Idling in cold weather does not heat the engine to its normal operating temperature. Long periods of idling, especially in cold weather, can cause a buildup of deposits which can cause engine damage. Change to a lighter grade engine oil to make starting easier under these conditions. Refer to engine oil specifications.

Way I read the part about the block heater is it sounds like it is a "recommendation" to heat the coolant so that the climate control responds more quickly. Does state that below -29 "The use of the factory engine block heater assists in engine starting in extreme cold ambient temperatures". Nothing about it being a "must use" for engine protection. Seems the Ford has a strategy built in to help prevent the damage as quoted above.

\Old timer neighbour across the road has had many a diesel truck and drive out to his farm every single day. Puts on a lot of KM every year. In winter he starts, sits for about a minute and goes, not matter the temp. Never has a starting issue despite the temp and very rarely has he had engine issues. Anecdotal evidence, but speaks volumes to me. We both have never ever understood starting the diesel and letting idle for 10, 15, 20 minutes. He has some pretty funny jokes about "those guys". Lol

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Block heater aids engine warmup, and engine cranking in cold conditions, one thing I hate about my ram is if I dont plug it in, it goes right to high idle, I hate that! and avoid using the remote start in extreme cold startups because of it.

During warmup idle, your warming up the oils, so proper engine oils selection is critical.
There is an extremely high risk of too high of a oil pressure that could put the oil system into bypass resulting in a loss of oil pressure.

Last edited:

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
My last 4 pickups (all gas) haven't had a block heater in them. Once I moved north to PG, I bought a stick on oil pan heater for my GMC 1500, and did the same now for my 2018 Ford 150. If colder than -20C and I think about it, I plug the pan heater in for a while before starting it up.
My theory is that warming it from the bottom up, is also a good idea since heat rises, and warm oil flows quicker. Even at -44C last winter, it started well and the pan heater was only plugged in for 2 hours. I want to build a larger shop, so i to can park inside, but for now my truck is only in the carport, girlfriend has her ridgeline in the heated garage, and the other side of the garage has our toys in it. Looking into a 36 by 36 shop in the backyard, hopefully built in 2021.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last 4 pickups (all gas) haven't had a block heater in them. Once I moved north to PG, I bought a stick on oil pan heater for my GMC 1500, and did the same now for my 2018 Ford 150. If colder than -20C and I think about it, I plug the pan heater in for a while before starting it up.
My theory is that warming it from the bottom up, is also a good idea since heat rises, and warm oil flows quicker. Even at -44C last winter, it started well and the pan heater was only plugged in for 2 hours. I want to build a larger shop, so i to can park inside, but for now my truck is only in the carport, girlfriend has her ridgeline in the heated garage, and the other side of the garage has our toys in it. Looking into a 36 by 36 shop in the backyard, hopefully built in 2021.
Wait for lumber to go down lol

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Block heater aids engine warmup, and engine cranking in cold conditions, one thing I hate about my ram is if I dont plug it in, it goes right to high idle, I hate that! and avoid using the remote start in extreme cold startups because of it.

During warmup idle, your warming up the oils, so proper engine oils selection is critical.
There is an extremely high risk of too high of a oil pressure that could put the oil system into bypass resulting in a loss of oil pressure.

At least the Ram's slowly ramp up to high idle (or at least my 2012 did). My 6.7 PSD work truck goes straight to 1000-1100rpm if its cold

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I watched a video on this, research indicates as long as you use the proper weight oil for climate, rpm increases oil flow faster because oil pump is direct drive. Slower idle longer to get oil pressure to the top. I would have to assume that the engineering teams researched which was better for longevity as it would be a pretty significant factor in engine life.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Unless you physically can't, it is just laziness to not plug it in.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah, the video is about Ford's cold weather testing on the Powerstroke. Near the end he mentions -40 starts being a goal.

Funny how they needed to try and prove they can now start the Powerstroke in the cold. I still remember coming back after a weekend of sledding, one guy plugged in the PS for about an hour, still couldn't get it going. Cummins that had been sitting even longer and not plugged in at all, starts absolutely no problem. It was probably only -20. Since 2003, you could start a Cummins not plugged in at -30, it's not an achievement for Ford to say so recently, it's an embarrassment it took so long.

Top Bottom