Modern Diesel Engines

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
So I shall start with saying that I have never owned a diesel pickup. Been looking at new one ton Fords, and Rams, considering the diesel option. If they sit parked a few days, outdoors in -25C, will they start?
Is one more reliable than the other engine, Ram vs Ford?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I shall start with saying that I have never owned a diesel pickup. Been looking at new one ton Fords, and Rams, considering the diesel option. If they sit parked a few days, outdoors in -25C, will they start?

HD truck or half tons??

-25c no problem at all without being plugged in.
IMO all three HD diesels are pretty good.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get one of those booster packs for 179 from canadian tire and leave it in the truck just incase

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesels come with 2 batteries, they will still crank in the cold. The real issue is if there is enough heat to ignite the fuel, but you should be good with any of the new diesels down to -30, after that I'd be plugging it in to ensure it starts.

That being said I'd take the Ford Powerstroke over the Ram Cummins any day of the week. Ford has 450hp and a 10 speed transmission, Ram is still stuck at 400hp if you get the HO option with a 6 speed tranny (Ford had 400hp with a 6 speed back in 2012).

The 6.7 powerstroke is a proven design, and Ford has raised the bar again for 2021 by being the first light diesel with steel pistons.

BTW I'd also have a look at the GM's, the Duramax is also a proven motor, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those either.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesels come with 2 batteries, they will still crank in the cold. The real issue is if there is enough heat to ignite the fuel, but you should be good with any of the new diesels down to -30, after that I'd be plugging it in to ensure it starts.

That being said I'd take the Ford Powerstroke over the Ram Cummins any day of the week. Ford has 450hp and a 10 speed transmission, Ram is still stuck at 400hp if you get the HO option with a 6 speed tranny (Ford had 400hp with a 6 speed back in 2012).

The 6.7 powerstroke is a proven design, and Ford has raised the bar again for 2021 by being the first light diesel with steel pistons.

BTW I'd also have a look at the GM's, the Duramax is also a proven motor, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those either.

You cannot seriously be comparing diesel engines purely based on HP? HP in the diesel world means virtually nothing, it's all about the torque numbers. The Powerstroke is a proven design for what a few years at most? If that, I don't follow them but pretty sure they are still having tons of issues. Cummins has been proven in the Rams for 30 years. Ford might have a good truck, but still don't hold up in the engine department to Ram. It's also funny how you say proven, then right after how it's the first light diesel with steel pistons, so clearly that part is not proven if it's new.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care what you buy, if it's going to be outside regularly without being plugged in in the winter get a coolant heater if you actually care about the truck and will keep it for awhile, compared to the truck price it's nothing and it will pay for itself in fuel and engine hours/wear savings. I am amazed how many here say just go crank it not plugged in at -25c, yea it will start, but it's not good for it on a regular basis.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You cannot seriously be comparing diesel engines purely based on HP? HP in the diesel world means virtually nothing, it's all about the torque numbers. The Powerstroke is a proven design for what a few years at most? If that, I don't follow them but pretty sure they are still having tons of issues. Cummins has been proven in the Rams for 30 years. Ford might have a good truck, but still don't hold up in the engine department to Ram. It's also funny how you say proven, then right after how it's the first light diesel with steel pistons, so clearly that part is not proven if it's new.

The 6.7 Cummins of today and the 12 valve 5.9 Cummins of 20+ years ago have so little in common they might as well not even have the same name. The 6.7 powerstroke has had the same architecture since 2011.

I like how you don't follow them but "know they are having tons of issues". Dodge/Ram/Fiat engines department is so great they outsource it to Cummins, they know they suck that bad.

Unlike most people I have dealt with servicing fleets of work trucks with these engines, we don't buy the Rams at all anymore, we simply can't afford to keep them on the road. If deleted maybe they're half decent, but running emissions intact isn't a profitable scenario in my experience.

Since you think torque wins Ford makes 1050, Cummins makes 1000, Ford is better there too. But torque doesn't matter as much as everyone thinks.

Power is what does work, period. A motor with lots of torque at low rpm also creates lots of power at low rpm. It is then the purpose of the drive train to take this power and create tractive force at the tires. Assuming inefficiencies in the drive train are the same more power equals more tractive force, always.

Power is the fundamental measurement of energy output for any mechanical device. There is no other way to measure how much work an engine can do.

Comparing high revving pickup diesels to semis proves nothing. Semi's need to create more torque as a function of the lower rpm to make the same power. Halving the rpm requires a doubling of torque to make the same power.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes will start, brand doesn’t matter,

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had many Dodge/Ram trucks. They get better each time I have upgraded years. I know them and trust them. I rode in a ford and was impressed with how it handled a big load and was very quiet and smooth but I can buy an equally equipped Ram for about $15000 less. Fiat/Chrysler is much easier to work with their fleet department for a small company owner. I also was turned away by GM's fleet department in 2008 when I tried one of them. As far as a 6 speed transmission over 10 speed, I would need to see the big advantage as I can see the cost disadvantage, especially if it needs repair/replacement out of warranty. I believe the Ram also gets better fuel economy than the Ford but that may be a function of load and driving habits.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drive them both buy the one you like or that you can get the best deal on. Any of them will be fine. Ive started mine at -30 2015 ram 6.7 Cummins. It didn’t like it but started. I’ve had 3 ram diesels and never had issues with any of them. The one had 320kms(deleted) on it.

For sure you can get a bad one with any brand. My brothers 12 6.7 powerstroke decided to pile up at 40000kms. Complete short block replacement under warranty. It happens.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duramax is the best Diesel engine. Only down side, it’s a complicated engine.

the power delivery is much better than Cummins.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of electrical issues with the dodges, do some reading there.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of electrical issues with the dodges, do some reading there.

And brakes....and transmissions, and pay attention to the build quality.....things like the construction of the wiring harnesses, how things are mounted under the hood and connected together.....the fiats are built very cheaply in most ways.....the engine block and major engine assemblies are made in China and built in Mexico on the fiats....the ford diesel engines are built in Mexico as well I believe, but from parts made in America....the ford truck itself is also built in America....if you plan on selling the truck before the warranty is over, it doesn’t matter what you buy as even a fiat should last for 3 years. If you’re gonna keep the truck long term, the fiat is the worst choice you could make.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy ordered his eco diesel with the air ride and had nothing but problems in cold weather. 2 compressor replacements under warranty. I talked to my local dealer about it and he said they won't order them in unless the customer wants a truck with it. Big problem for Dodge I guess. Back ordered compressors don't make it any better either. Lots of hurt feelers.

Top Bottom