Man, they build those Cats tough.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got some snow around the house and decided to do a ditch ride. Not something I do a lot of. Headed east out of town towards Calahoo and had a great time busting through the drifts and climbing the little hills. On the way back home after a couple of hours, I come to what looks like a culvert on a fairly steep bank of the Sturgeon river. So i sidehill up and hit an Armco barrier hidden under the snowplow windrow. Instant stop. I go over the bars, hit the hood and then hit the steel barrier with my ribs. This is at about 40 km. The impact bent the A-arm back and snapped the lower suspension at the rear of the arm. I had to ride it back with the ski at about a 30 degree angle. Just goes to show that even old guys get caught ever once in a while. Sure glad I had my shovel with me.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got some snow around the house and decided to do a ditch ride. Not something I do a lot of. Headed east out of town towards Calahoo and had a great time busting through the drifts and climbing the little hills. On the way back home after a couple of hours, I come to what looks like a culvert on a fairly steep bank of the Sturgeon river. So i sidehill up and hit an Armco barrier hidden under the snowplow windrow. Instant stop. I go over the bars, hit the hood and then hit the steel barrier with my ribs. This is at about 40 km. The impact bent the A-arm back and snapped the lower suspension at the rear of the arm. I had to ride it back with the ski at about a 30 degree angle. Just goes to show that even old guys get caught ever once in a while. Sure glad I had my shovel with me.

Ooouch...

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad yer okay :) Gotta hate it when that happens:eek:
Sounds like you're as tough as that 'Cat you're riding. Ya the worst part is knowing what you're gonna feel like in the morning. Sometimes it makes an old feller scared to go to sleep:d

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya man, last ride of the year, last year ( not by choice), I came out of a creek bed doing a tail walk, and came down on a stump. Tore my right peck off the breatbone with the hadle bar hook, 4 cracks in the breast bone, and 3 breaks in 2 ribs.........still feel it, although it's much better now....lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditch riding can be dangerous, nailed a culvert with a ski a few years back, instant stop for sled, feeling your pain, hope nothing broken. always wondered about the telus boxes and sign posts just under the snow pointing in every direction, a deadly spear waiting to happen.

friggin ditches

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Feeling a lot better now. Have not had a chance to check out the damage to the sled. No garage and it's really cold here now. Might only be a broken lower A-arm bolt if I'm really lucky.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had it when i was about 12, riding around the ditch on my 77 olypique 300, dropped of a drift to the bottom of the ditch, right on top of some loose barbed wire just under the snow. it wrapped up in the track and stopped me dead. there i was, kissing the bumper wondering what the smack had happened.
must have looked pretty funny tho. :rolleyes:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being an old guy myself I won't ride anymore without protection. Already needed it this year in Blue River when an instant stop put me into the bars. Hope your OK, sleds are easier to fix than broken bones!!

Trench

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being an old guy myself I won't ride anymore without protection. Already needed it this year in Blue River when an instant stop put me into the bars. Hope your OK, sleds are easier to fix than broken bones!!

Trench

x2 Bones don't heal like they used to. I a moment of weakness last year I laid out cash for a chest protector. Not three weeks later I rolled my sled on the river in a freakish accident and ended up bouncing through a pile of head sized rocks. Broke my pelvis in 2 places but I swear to god that tekvest (and helmet) saved my life. Probably would have broken my back as well.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going to invest in a vest. I had one save my ribs about 15 years ago on a dirt bike when I nailed a broken off tree trunk coming around a corner. That cleaned me right off the old Kawi.

Top Bottom