Time to confess... I hurt my XM....... at the 40km mark on the odomter

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up sled on Thursday night (thanks Martin Motorsports)... Put first tank of fuel in Saturday morning, headed out to make a few miles with my brother (Young-Gun) in the fields around my old stomping grounds..... WOW are these sleds wicked!!!!!!!! TOTALLY different animal than what I was expecting!!!! Coming off of a 2006 REV I had no real expectations but wow!!!!! Amazing power throughout the whole rpm range, smooth ride, excellent maneuvering and reaction to body movement... All in all a great ride..... Until the end where we were coming home.....

We decided to head back a little early, had a birthday to attend anyway, was ditch-banging like us prairie folk like to do... I lined up a few drifts (or what i thought was a drift) do get some decent wheelie action... Came up off of one, about a 4 or 5ft wheelie.... Upon coming down, what I thought was my second drift to hit ended up being a HUGE rock!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even know what happened until i quit rolling on the ground and got on my feet to see where my sled ended up.....

So it happened, I crashed..... The right ski ended up hitting DIRECTLY ahead of the pivot point of the ski, completely directing all of the pressure into the shock.....The shock bottomed out HARD, bending the Shock rod.... The ski then went completely vertical, and smashed into lower A-arm, which completely severed front section of A-arm from the mount on sled..... Completely collapsed Backside of Lower A-Arm, bent up top structure of ski, and turned my Upper A-arm into a boomerang.....

My brother didn't believe me when I yelled "SNAPPED AN A-ARM"!!!! HE called Bu**-Sh*t... Then he walked up and saw the carnage..... I swear he turned whiter than the snow we were riding.....

Lesson of the day.... Its early in the season, watch out for rocks ( not only in mountains, in the ditches too) and take care of your brand new sled.... It hurt my pride a little, but Im sure the guys at Martin Motorsports will take good care of her and let me know if there's anything else wrong other than the obvious....

NOW........:popcorn: PICTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cutting the bad pieces out to see the main structure on the sled revealed that there LOOKS like no other damage other than the A-Arm, Shock and Ski Carnage..... But time will tell......

HOPEFULLY THE WEAK LINK IN THE SLED WAS THE A-ARMS!!!!!!!!!!! Would be a crying BABY if there is worse damage that I can see...

Attachments

• 20121208_161308 (480x640).jpg
    20121208_161308 (480x640).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 20121208_161319 (480x640).jpg
    20121208_161319 (480x640).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 20121208_161407 (480x640).jpg
    20121208_161407 (480x640).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20121208_161419 (480x640).jpg
    20121208_161419 (480x640).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 20121208_161424 (480x640).jpg
    20121208_161424 (480x640).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN2242 (800x598).jpg
    DSCN2242 (800x598).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN2243 (800x598).jpg
    DSCN2243 (800x598).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN2244 (800x598).jpg
    DSCN2244 (800x598).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 230

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Picked up sled on Thursday night (thanks Martin Motorsports)... Put first tank of fuel in Saturday morning, headed out to make a few miles with my brother (Young-Gun) in the fields around my old stomping grounds..... WOW are these sleds wicked!!!!!!!! TOTALLY different animal than what I was expecting!!!! Coming off of a 2006 REV I had no real expectations but wow!!!!! Amazing power throughout the whole rpm range, smooth ride, excellent maneuvering and reaction to body movement... All in all a great ride..... Until the end where we were coming home.....

We decided to head back a little early, had a birthday to attend anyway, was ditch-banging like us prairie folk like to do... I lined up a few drifts (or what i thought was a drift) do get some decent wheelie action... Came up off of one, about a 4 or 5ft wheelie.... Upon coming down, what I thought was my second drift to hit ended up being a HUGE rock!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even know what happened until i quit rolling on the ground and got on my feet to see where my sled ended up.....

So it happened, I crashed..... The right ski ended up hitting DIRECTLY ahead of the pivot point of the ski, completely directing all of the pressure into the shock.....The shock bottomed out HARD, bending the Shock rod.... The ski then went completely vertical, and smashed into lower A-arm, which completely severed front section of A-arm from the mount on sled..... Completely collapsed Backside of Lower A-Arm, bent up top structure of ski, and turned my Upper A-arm into a boomerang.....

My brother didn't believe me when I yelled "SNAPPED AN A-ARM"!!!! HE called Bu**-Sh*t... Then he walked up and saw the carnage..... I swear he turned whiter than the snow we were riding.....

Lesson of the day.... Its early in the season, watch out for rocks ( not only in mountains, in the ditches too) and take care of your brand new sled.... It hurt my pride a little, but Im sure the guys at Martin Motorsports will take good care of her and let me know if there's anything else wrong other than the obvious....

NOW........:popcorn: PICTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cutting the bad pieces out to see the main structure on the sled revealed that there LOOKS like no other damage other than the A-Arm, Shock and Ski Carnage..... But time will tell......

HOPEFULLY THE WEAK LINK IN THE SLED WAS THE A-ARMS!!!!!!!!!!! Would be a crying BABY if there is worse damage that I can see...

That sucks but I know how you feel.....And good thing your not hurt....I wrote off a brand new 1997 RMK when I smoked a huge rock in Revy at christmas time.....no lump or anything, just a sudden stop. Can happen to anybody..... Hopefully its not bent too bad.

Good luck!!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch!!! sorry bout yer wreck!! hope thats the extent of your damage..... been there and it's deffinately hard on ones pride!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like you may have gotten out of this one extremely lucky. Even if it is out a a bit just slap some new a arms on and ride it.

I totally agree that I may have came out of this extremely lucky..... Seems the a arms and shock took all the force..... Oh and still waiting for you to pm me your A-arm fatigue hole locations!!! LOL

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats all at least its only an few hours to swap everything out and be back on the snow. Hope the e and s modules are still straight!
(When I was reading this I had a chisel plow in my mind hiding under a drift till you said rock)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your chaincase upper mounting points. The casting on the chaincases seem to be another weak point.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats all at least its only an few hours to swap everything out and be back on the snow. Hope the e and s modules are still straight!
(When I was reading this I had a chisel plow in my mind hiding under a drift till you said rock)

Had u goin for a minute LOL!!!

check your chaincase upper mounting points. The casting on the chaincases seem to be another weak point.

Are you talking the actual mounting points for the case???? will look into that for sure!!!

not sure if you looked into cost but it may be less $$ to get the S-36 kit and use what you need and keep the rest for spare's .

Already got my name on a kit LOL (pending nothing else is wrong)!!!!!!!!!!!!! 80 bucks for a new shock rod, and 300 for right side A-arms.... Ill have a whole front end spare in case any of the 3 X's in our group take the same DARK path!!

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That confirms it, any brand can self destruct at 40km..............:d
That's a hell of a first scratch !

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you get it all back together and the shocks are no longer in matching locations in the arms, don't worry about it unless they are actually making contact with the arm. I will find it very hard to believe that the s-module isn't tweaked. And if it is, ride it. Replace it next summer. Or don't. I never replace mine unless it is really bad.

Top Bottom