08 M8 crack noise---weird

sheebansavage

Reaction score
Hey guys, Tuesday I was out riding in 1-3 feet of fresh really wet snow. It was fun for the last day in April. While I was playing around, I came off a smaller drift and landed on a hard wind blown surface. Not a big drop..maybe 5 feet. As I landed (100% flat and a great landing) I heard this snap/crack noise. After that everytime I would hit a bump while under acceleration, the suspension was making a wierd noise. I cleaned all of the wet snow out and had a quick look and nothing was broken. It happened again and then after the snow was cleared out of the track it was clear that my track was racheting. I tightened it up a bit and it was fine for the rest of the day.

I know this is a weird question but has anyone had this noise I heard and then have a ratcheting track?

I looked over the sled tonight when I got home and nothing looked odd, except for a bushing in the front a arm that is split in half. It was cracked before. This may have been my crack noise. No bulkhead crack unless its under the wild child steering brace, rear boogie and track adjusters seem good, rails are not bent..,,

I have never had to tighten this track before until today but haven't rode in this kinda wet clammy snow ball snow for a long period of time either..Also the tunnel was completly full of snow caked on...

What do you guys think...

This summer I will be taking it all part to complete a 09 tunnel conversion and stretch it to a 162 and installing the 2.5 camo extreme or 2.6 pc so everything will be inspected then

also how hard should it be to rotate the track by hand while its on a stand with belt on?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could of been the bushing on the rear axles that the tensioner goes into. That could of broke and would explain tho retching.

sheebansavage

Reaction score
I looked at that as well and nothing obvious with out taking it apart. Everything will get a once over when I take it apart this summer. I am just looking for some ideas for when I take it apart.

Thx again

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think it would have to be something with there rear axle that shifted. It is about the only thing that can move without completely falling off to make the track loose. I would check your a-arms and see if they are bent too. I noticed a cracked bushing on mine and it was caused by twisted a-arms. I have never tryed to roll my track by hand with the belt on but it shouldn't drag too much. When you do your tunnel conversion make sure you buy or borrow an air riveter, there are too many rivets to do by hand. And don't make the mistake I made and cut your board edges too short added a bit to the cost of the project for me.

sheebansavage

Reaction score
I would think it would have to be something with there rear axle that shifted. It is about the only thing that can move without completely falling off to make the track loose. I would check your a-arms and see if they are bent too. I noticed a cracked bushing on mine and it was caused by twisted a-arms. I have never tryed to roll my track by hand with the belt on but it shouldn't drag too much. When you do your tunnel conversion make sure you buy or borrow an air riveter, there are too many rivets to do by hand. And don't make the mistake I made and cut your board edges too short added a bit to the cost of the project for me.

Hey thx and for tips and the tunnel conversion. For the conversion, I bought the 09 rail edges and gussets so I should not run into any issue.

As for my present problem, I have a BDX light weight 2 wheel axle kit on there now and nothing looks odd right now but I do not have the room to give it a good look over especially when I will be taking it all apart this summer. Nothing seems wrong in the rear..when I take things apart, it may tell a different story. As for the track rotating, mine takes quite a bit of pulling/pushing to get it to move but when its idling and on a stand the belt deflection is right because the track just starts to rotate on its own. My track is a little off from being aligned perfect but that could be because I adjusted it while on the hill on its side. I kinda aligned it by counting threads on the adjuster bolts...

Is it possible that something in the DD could have cause the noise I heard...It will be taken apart this summer as well for a oil change/inspection and bearing replacement.

On the brake rotor side, is there anything there that could have caused the track to possibly loosen up

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some bearings on the calliper side but if they went and caused slop in the driver shaft I would think it would make a terrible noise. Not sure about noise from the diamond drive maybe a grinding noise if it had issues. I have to tear mine apart this summer last time I was out it felt like I have a bearing going. Hard to explain the noise it was kind of a harmonic sound similar to driving a truck in 4x4 on dry pavement if that makes sense. Hard to pin point especially with the noise from my exhaust. Never had mine apart so it will be a learning experience for me.

sheebansavage

Reaction score
There are some bearings on the calliper side but if they went and caused slop in the driver shaft I would think it would make a terrible noise. Not sure about noise from the diamond drive maybe a grinding noise if it had issues. I have to tear mine apart this summer last time I was out it felt like I have a bearing going. Hard to explain the noise it was kind of a harmonic sound similar to driving a truck in 4x4 on dry pavement if that makes sense. Hard to pin point especially with the noise from my exhaust. Never had mine apart so it will be a learning experience for me.

The DD to take apart is fairly simple..Just do a search and you will find everything you need. I agree with you on the driver bearings. If they were shot I would hear it for sure. I was wondering if you or someone else could try moving their track by hand and see how hard it it to move and let me know. If you can't, thats cool

Cheers

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you jumped a fair bit with it? pop your hood and look down where the steering post goes thru the bulk head, you may have cracked your bulkhead around the small bracket with three bolts thru it. If you did, there's an aftermarket piece you can order to fix the problem like I had to.Here's where to get the part if you need it.

Last edited:

sheebansavage

Reaction score
Have you jumped a fair bit with it? pop your hood and look down where the steering post goes thru the bulk head, you may have cracked your bulkhead around the small bracket with three bolts thru it. If you did, there's an aftermarket piece you can order to fix the problem like I had to.Here's where to get the part if you need it.

Thx for the reply. I am not a jumper and I have that wild child brace already installed. There are no signs of cracking unless its under that brace. From the bottom there are no cracks either

cheers

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx for the reply. I am not a jumper and I have that wild child brace already installed. There are no signs of cracking unless its under that brace. From the bottom there are no cracks either

cheers

You sure it wasn't something simple like something came loose in the back of the seat (tool kit, bottle of water etc) and was bouncing around causing the noise? Could it have been the track hittin the tunnel if it was too loose?

Otherwise I would pull the skid like you are going to and have a look, you are going to convert it anyway so its gotta come out.

Top Bottom