Make a summit xm handle the trails better

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I know you don't buy a summit for "trail riding" but you inevitably have to do quite of bit of trail riding no matter where you ride.

I have money down on a 146 inch track summit (I am just about to pull the trigger on it but wow its hard to part with that kind of cash) anyway. I went with the 146 because while I am coming off a 151 I grew up riding short tracks in the mountains. I always did fine and its not like I ever got left. Is a 146 the greatest in the deep stuff? No but I think it will do ok. The hopes is that the 146 acts better on the trails.

I rented a sled last year a xp sport summit and it was the least fun sled I have ever ridden. I know it wasn't set up for me but the thing was all over the trails. In the deep is was good but sucked on the trails. I am coming off a 04 summit rev and while it wasn't as great in the mountains as the new ones probably are it handled the trails 10 times better.

I was thinking of going with simmons skis again as that is what I used to have. Probably try out the stock ones first unless I can find someone who wants to buy them.

This might be asking too much out of a mountain sled but what have you guys done?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if its an sp then i would say get new from shocks!maybe wider front end,i don't know if different skis help in handling.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stand up and Pin it!! Haven't had any ill mannered trail experiences myself.If you sit with your ass at the back of the seat and try and trail ride its gonna be all over the place,Its just not built for that. Feet as far forward as you can get them and ride it in the attack position and it will respond to every body input you give it no matter how fast you want to ride it. Now that is what this chassis likes. If you buy it wanting something else your wasting your money trying to change it back to a traditional handling sled. Learn to ride it how it is in one day and save your coins for gas and oil because you will love it after one weekend. If its not the ride you are looking for then look at a Pro RMK or a Cat. Easier to flatass on the trail but harder to manoeuvre in the steep and deep. All great machines they just ride different. Oh and by the way the stock skis work great but if you don't want them I would buy them off you for a fair price.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stand up and Pin it!! Haven't had any ill mannered trail experiences myself.If you sit with your ass at the back of the seat and try and trail ride its gonna be all over the place,Its just not built for that. Feet as far forward as you can get them and ride it in the attack position and it will respond to every body input you give it no matter how fast you want to ride it. Now that is what this chassis likes. If you buy it wanting something else your wasting your money trying to change it back to a traditional handling sled. Learn to ride it how it is in one day and save your coins for gas and oil because you will love it after one weekend. If its not the ride you are looking for then look at a Pro RMK or a Cat. Easier to flatass on the trail but harder to manoeuvre in the steep and deep. All great machines they just ride different. Oh and by the way the stock skis work great but if you don't want them I would buy them off you for a fair price.
X2!!!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you buy one from martins they will throw on the x shocks they took off. Leave your sway in and run your front springs a little on the stiff side will help on the trail.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah its where I would be buying from and the x shocks are supposed to be on it. Where did they take the x shocks off of though thats what I was wondering.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I was wondering why they would do a deal to upgrade shocks like that.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Martins quoted my buddy today $350 to put takeoff x shocks on a new XM SP if he bought from them

Not if he snowchecked. Either way if any of the new sleds are too unstable for you on the trail you need to slow down. You can get up plenty fast and in control on a new xm without hurting your self or someone else. It's not a race. I just don't get it....my xm tracked straight on the trail all year and if I kept the sway bar in it actually did fairly well on the corners. with the sway bar out it wanted to go straight through all the corners on its side. perhaps the sled you rode was like that. the other thing is ski pressure.....with a 146 you can afford to have a little more ski pressure than a 154 or 163 and it will turn better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not snowchecked maxwell. They have a non snowchecked XM SP 154. And that's what they quoted to update to the X takeoff shocks.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it to Enzo suspensions. He will set it up to your weight and riding style. It's not cheap but neither is being laid up from work with a busted up back.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was the show special so its a non x model with front x shocks. If I go with just the stockers it saves me $200.

I don't need the sled to go down the trail at a hundred miles an hour and have me plow into someone. With the last one I rented it was like it would not corner at all. I was getting insane ski lift and it just made for a workout on the trail. I tend to sit while on the trail (which i know is not the best I am just used to it) but I would shift my weight from side to side and move around alot. I have never had the troubles I had with that rental though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was the show special so its a non x model with front x shocks. If I go with just the stockers it saves me $200.

I don't need the sled to go down the trail at a hundred miles an hour and have me plow into someone. With the last one I rented it was like it would not corner at all. I was getting insane ski lift and it just made for a workout on the trail. I tend to sit while on the trail (which i know is not the best I am just used to it) but I would shift my weight from side to side and move around alot. I have never had the troubles I had with that rental though.

If you would of tightened up the springs in the front that would of made a big difference.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old XP was troublesome as well but i think the new models xp or xm have much better designs in the suspension all the way around. Ski lift issues I would might consider altering the pretension on the skis as noted above and also the front skid shock. That said I have a set of Gen 3 simmons that I ordered for my old unit before deciding to upgrade the whole sled. Going to get a few good km's on the stockers then give them a try to see if they are worth keeping. I suspect that they will be with a the dual runners and wider foot print but we shall see.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my Xp adjusting the limiter strap makes a huge difference . With it right loose my sled is all over the place . Tighten it up and it's way easier to handle!

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom