M8 pump gas turbo vs 925BB

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
I dont have an m8 but my next sled would probably be 2010+ but im curious at how they are with a pump gas turbo on them, i ride at 5000ft+. My main issue is reliability of the motor, how long do they last, iv heard of ppl blowing them up right away once turboed. If they last for a whole season and id just have to put in a new top end before the next that would be fine but i dont know about the bottom end. I know the power is unbelievable and it would be a blast to ride.

Otherwise i was thinking of doing a 925 bigbore, does anyone have any info on reliabilty aswell?

Thanks alot guys for any info

INSTGUY

Reaction score
I have 2 friends with turbo'd m8's....50-50 premium/c12, 2 seasons so far..pull the chord and go...they eat my 1000....very best turbo combo i've seen

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont have an m8 but my next sled would probably be 2010+ but im curious at how they are with a pump gas turbo on them, i ride at 5000ft+. My main issue is reliability of the motor, how long do they last, iv heard of ppl blowing them up right away once turboed. If they last for a whole season and id just have to put in a new top end before the next that would be fine but i dont know about the bottom end. I know the power is unbelievable and it would be a blast to ride.

Otherwise i was thinking of doing a 925 bigbore, does anyone have any info on reliabilty aswell?

Thanks alot guys for any info
there is no comparison!this is the second season on my 09 m8 with boost,8lbs 0n 100ll and 0 issues.actually there r 4 turbo'd m8's in our group this year and they all run great.last week in revy ran against 2 09 m1000's with full slp pipe setup,and it was not a fair fight.the difference was the turbo going over the top on the first pull and the m1000 just making it on their 3 or 4 attempt in the same track.even dropped down to low elevation and did some drag racing,but same result.turbo,8 sled lengths or more ahead at the finish.so i let them have a little fur on the m8.think they'll be riding turbo's next year,well that's what they said anyways.
go for it man,u won't regret it.do expect a little bit of tuning,but once it's dialed there's nothing like it.:beer::d

just make sure your running the right octane for your boost and elevation or else "BANG"

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the cash to buy a new M8 and put a turbo on, you should have enough cash to run good gas and get the most out of it. Just my opinion of course.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just make sure your running the right octane for your boost and elevation or else "BANG"

Yep - don't cheap out on fuel and you'll probably have a great running sled. Go cheap and get some deto - you'll probably have an expensive paperweight

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm riding my first m8t this year and have 600 miles on it so far. I am really paranoid about reliability so i have been looking down the exhaust after each weekend. So far she looks like new inside with great piston wash. Had a few issues at first but seem to have them ironed out now. Mixing a little 100ll with pump and running about 8 lbs at 6000 ft. Not as cool as 14 lbs with straight race but who can afford $150.00 a ride.(a 45 gal drum Up here is about $750.00) My buddies are drooling:)

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
how much boost can you run with av gas(100octane)?

I usually try and run 50/50 av. or sometimes a bit more av. I run 10 to 12 lbs. boost. Running pure av is hard on the a/f censer. I wouldn't think twice to go against a bb, no comparison. I would suggest riding with someone with a tm8 and trying it out, or maybe you all ready have. good luck.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Sweet. I am going boondocker next season. I pick up the new M8 on Friday from Shuswap Xtreme and then I'm just gonna break it in and get used to it stock for the last half of this season and then do all the turbo wrenchin this fall.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Sweet. I am going boondocker next season. I pick up the new M8 on Friday from Shuswap Xtreme and then I'm just gonna break it in and get used to it stock for the last half of this season and then do all the turbo wrenchin this fall.

New sled! nice... Is that a 2010? I think they have a used kit off a 1000 at the dealership, (synergy kit) and I know it was hardly used.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
No it's the 09 m8 162 snopro. They found one that was still in the crate so I jumped on it:) Getting the new seat and all that of course. I'm gonna wait for the boondocker kit in the fall I think. I'm just joining all you cat guys from doo so i'm gonna get used to the new balance points on the sled before I get the turbo and get myself into some real trouble lol!!! So 50/50 or 75/25 100ll should be alright at about 8-10 lbs boost eh? I'm normaly around the lake at crowfoot, lichen and pokey. And also out at eagles and around sicamous.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You wont be disapointed! The 2010 needs a different head but otherwise she is a bolt on application. If you dont have one you will probably wanna ride one! God, listen to me...last year i was all Doo guy and was bashing cat, until the M8T was proven to be as good as they say.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
You wont be disapointed! The 2010 needs a different head but otherwise she is a bolt on application. If you dont have one you will probably wanna ride one! God, listen to me...last year i was all Doo guy and was bashing cat, until the M8T was proven to be as good as they say.

Ha ha!! I was the same, I even called em ditch pickles all the time. My buddy brought his new HCR out and I took it for a burn for about 5 minutes and I didn't want to give it back, was I ever wrong!! So I sold the doo and I pick up the ditch pickle on Friday, woo hoo!!! I'm even getting a pickle sticker made up for it:) and when the turbo goes on it's gonna be dubbed the "Turbo Pickle" screw doo I'm a cat guy now!! Not that I didn't love my doo, it was awesome but the M8 feels a lot nicer for me.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Sorry to get off topic guys. Go with the turbo and don't waste your money on the big bore. I completely did my doo and after all was said and done it ripped, hard, and it was awesome but hopping on my buddies turbo 2 stroke was so much sweeter than natural asperation!! GO TURBO and do it right the first time:)

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Ha ha!! I was the same, I even called em ditch pickles all the time. My buddy brought his new HCR out and I took it for a burn for about 5 minutes and I didn't want to give it back, was I ever wrong!! So I sold the doo and I pick up the ditch pickle on Friday, woo hoo!!! I'm even getting a pickle sticker made up for it:) and when the turbo goes on it's gonna be dubbed the "Turbo Pickle" screw doo I'm a cat guy now!! Not that I didn't love my doo, it was awesome but the M8 feels a lot nicer for me.

"Turbo pickle" that's funny! I could paint a boosted pickle on your hood if you wish! lol. Sorry for highjacking this tread again.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a 08 M8 with a OVS turbo system with at Purelogic tuner, OVS clutch. it is running 10.5 psi. is this a good set up? I m a polaris guy and thinking of swapping over to the M8

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
high jack it all you want, im convinced now that im going to go with turbo, i think ill port and polish the motor, put on the RTK head and and RTK seconday kit the first season then turbo it the next then if im not broke spend some money on some light weight parts

thanks for all the info:d

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last 2 sleds have had bigbores and wouldnt hold a candle to the turbo at elevation. At sea level maybe, but when you loose air at elevation you lose power, hence the need for an air pump.

Top Bottom