Lots of RPM... Not enough top speed

jaredvh

Reaction score
I took my new to me 08 summit for its first ride this afternoon. Its revving to about 8000-8500rpm (I assume this is the limiter) but only hits 90kmh and wont go any faster. It has quick clickers, dynamo joe helix and a clutch kit. Clickers are set on 3. 90kmh seems a little slow to me, can anybody offer any insight. My last sled was a 1994 summit so I'm kinda behind on this newer stuff.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my new to me 08 summit for its first ride this afternoon. Its revving to about 8000-8500rpm (I assume this is the limiter) but only hits 90kmh and wont go any faster. It has quick clickers, dynamo joe helix and a clutch kit. Clickers are set on 3. 90kmh seems a little slow to me, can anybody offer any insight. My last sled was a 1994 summit so I'm kinda behind on this newer stuff.
Change to clicker 1 for starters. If it still over revs you will need to add more pin weight.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned go to clicker 1 and if still not shifting then I would verify secondary spring load and or go to a shallower helix and then look at more weight in the primary. Also maybe someone really geared it low for some reason and the clutching is fine, not for low snow load conditions. Always the joy of some else's mods is figuring it out. My wifes has the same issue but is clutched for an 880, but theres not enough snow here to pee your name in the driveway yet

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull both clutch's and inspect for worn parts. Replace any worn parts.
It's new to you so you want to do this anyway.
Check the part # on Joeys helix and then adjust pin weight for elevation you want to run.
He will have that info for pin weight and springs.
You want to know what ramps are in primary also.

jaredvh

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I'll try dropping the clickers to 1 tomorrow and going for another tear after work.

brewster

Reaction score
IMO that's a mountain sled and isn't geared to go any faster. Get it in some deep powder and you'll see what it was built for. 8200 rpm is Max, wouldn't spend to much time above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO that's a mountain sled and isn't geared to go any faster. Get it in some deep powder and you'll see what it was built for. 8200 rpm is Max, wouldn't spend to much time above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

They definetly aren't built for speed but a factory summit should do 120-140kmh top speed at this elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

switchman8

Reaction score
90km/h is really slow for a sled, this thing should be able to get at least 140-160 depending how its geared, Ive only had a skidoo for one season so not real sure about the tra but like ppl say, set the clickers down, you dont want too much rpm that your outta your peak power output, not sure where pteks make this at but my etec wanted 7900 rpm, if i remember correctly. If it was a popo, id just say throw more weight at it. Check for broken springs too maybe, maybe belt defection, worn belt, 90kmh is way too slow for nothing to be wrong, now 90mph, then that would be different. Did it feel like it had power at those rpms, small chance its fuel filter if not, or spark plugs.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get it working? Last year my 09 CF1000 was all RPM no speed. Couldn't hit 50kms. Rebuilt the clutch same issue. Took it to cat, $800 later same issue. Turns out my belly pan had a hole under the clutch and I was getting snow on my belt causing it to slip. Was a frustrating issue cost a lot of cash. and in the end 8 rivets and a chunk of crazy carpet was the fix. Hopefully you get yours figured.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely has 19/45 gearing in it. Runs out of legs clutches unload sled quits pulling hits a brick wall and revs but goes no where. Give me a shout 780 986 6370 and I will do my best to help you.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Deano, sled is geared way low. Pull the chaincase cover and count teeth. It's a good opportunity to check the condition of things in there and change the oil as well.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely has 19/45 gearing in it. Runs out of legs clutches unload sled quits pulling hits a brick wall and revs but goes no where. Give me a shout 780 986 6370 and I will do my best to help you.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS
You are right dean, his sled is geared down from the previous owner. I sent Jared a text to call you.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run 19/45 in my xrs 159 track and can run 140k all day long. Tra clutch is a phenomenal clutch if you know how to set it up. It's not just pin weight, you need proper spring rates to match the pin wrights, also match the helix and also ramps. You most likely have a clutch someone never knew what the hell they were doing and was tinkering around or a stuck arm.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have seen this behavior from TRA's when the ramps get a divet worn in them mid ramp. The area they spend the most time under load. It can be so subtle that you can't see it unless you hold the ramp up against a new one. Nothing wrong with 19/45 gearing if the mountains are your focus.

If my theory is correct going to '1' may help you get through the ramp 'ditch' and to warp speed. ;)

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all of the clutch tools to service this sled. I'll help him this weekend inspect the clutches, find out what springs, ramps, helix, etc are in the sled and we can go from there.

jaredvh

Reaction score
I popped the clickers down to 1 and took it out for a burn after work. I saw 100kmh so I guess we're a step in the right direction. What do these machines run for top speed right off the showroom floor?

Top Bottom