2012 etech track speed issues. Where to start?

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in revy last week. Noticed my 2012 summit 800 154" was having a tough time following my buddies. One was on a 2010 summit 154 (which was pissing me off the most) and the other was on a 2012 identical to mine. All 3 are mostly stock minus the usual stuff like cans. After taking both of theirs for a pull I noticed both sleds were pulling approx 60km/h track speed in the snow conditions we had, and rpms were right were they needed to be. I took mine for a poke, same hill same snow, only 50km/h track speed. My sled was pulling 7900 rpm on clicker 3. The guys at the bottom said both the other sleds sounded good and that mine didnt "sound" like it was pulling as hard as theirs. It sounds and feels like my RAVE's are working fine. Sled seems to be running fine just not getting the track speed. This was the first time I paid any attention to track speed, but noticed that on the last few trips I've been on Ive had a tough time going were the rest of the group was going. I was mostly chalking it up to the break in and that the others were riding 163's and 2011 etechs and such. I now have around 700k on mine, so it souldnt be a break in thing, the other sled identical to mine that I tested and was pulling 60k track speed only had around 3-400k on it and may not have completed its break in.

So the question is, where do I start? Track tension seems ok, belt deflection seems to be set a little low from the dealer compared to my 08 but was set the same on the other 2012 154 that I was comparing against. I'm thinking somethings up with the clutches but not sure what.

And just to clarify before someone else says it, its not LOFT making hard for me to keep up.

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on my 2012 etec 800 with 163 all stock clicker #3 i am getting 67km track speed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track speed will vary with altitude and snow conditions but shouldn't if everyone is on the same sleds and same snow.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say belt tension or maybe a worn out belt. And it is not that un herd of for a TRA clutch to have some worn out clutch parts at that many kms. So take your clutch apart and clean and inspect it and see if that helps.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'12 - 154 with the 2.5" and stock clutching riding 6000-8000' / @ 8000rpm (running full SLP exhaust) clicker 3

8" of fresh long pull 48mph
2-3' of fresh same pull 44-45mph not losing much less ground speed except when over 3' of fresh

as snopro said you are going to get a variance in track speed depending on conditions, also rider weight. I'm a light weight and can go where many guys can't. Dump off any extra weight like jerry cans and such.

Also if it you were comparing on hard packed, its possible they were getting track spin while your sled was hooking up. Was their ground speed equal to or more than yours? The clutching in these 2012 sleds makes the bottom/mid range suffer, not the top. They pull hard and backshift well for stock clutching. Just some short comings else where.

You can check track tension, belt deflection, chain play as well. I found my chain had to be adjusted twice so far in under 700miles. Once at the first 10hr service I did and the other this past weekend. I run my belt fairly tight. Just enough to not have it creep forward. Track tension a close to spec as I can.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you trenching? Suspension (limiter strap) can make a difference. Also if the motor is very hot, the probe in the can will shut down the power. On my 11, mine did the same thing last weekend and I blame the switch to a SLP can. With the probe out (still connected), it just ripped.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2 2012's are identical. Set up the same with me riding both. So same weight same hill same waste deep snow. I did click up to #4 and the rpm's went up to around 8100 but no change in track speed so I dropped back to 3 since it was 7900 there. It definitely isn't riding conditions because everything was the same across the board. Like I mentioned the other 12 had less km and wasn't through break in so I would think i should be kicking its ass.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the clicker change didn't improve track speed as that 200 rpm got it to its peak power.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll vouch for sledjed I was riding with him prior to this issue in revy i'm the 2011 etec he's talking about and ya there is definately something not right there jed JY's etec was doing better I thought maybe break in as well at that time but if it is still running like it was when i was there then something is up. Maybe the reeds? could be something in that clutch as well but hopefully you get it fixed it's always a fun time riding with our crew of guys

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sent it to the dealer. Picking it up Friday on the way to Sicamous, hopefully they figure something out.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope so to buddy gonna be a great trip I'm riding shotgun with dale I get to finally drink this weekend yeehaw! and dont worry i'll still be chasing that dragons tail through the tree's as well jed hahahahahaha!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well jed no drinking for me but for you it is game on as I see me and you are car pooling from ft macleod on up to sicamous! dont mind the beeping from my blow box lol

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer pulled apart the primary and found that all the ramps were not centered on the pins, rollers were wearing funny due to the ramp positions. Rebuilt the primary with new parts. They said they never seen one come from the factory like that before. I took it to sicamous on the weekend and it seemed better, but didn't have anyone on a 12 etec to compare with. All the guys were still saying that when I did a pull my sled didn't sound like it was pulling like everyone else's, even though my RPM's were right were they need to be. Going to a 2013 demo ride on the 10th of march so will be riding other 2012's there as well so I will be able to compare how they ride and feel compared to mine. Who knows, may be riding a 13 next year anyway.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need to take that thing to the tractor garage for a tractor makeover. Lol. I would trader in for a 13- 163 and then we put some 3 inch rubber under it and to the top you go.

Top Bottom