Life insurance ???

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep us posted. I am curious to know.

This is the dilemma I'm having. I can save 11 grand (over 20 years) on a new policy before any questions are asked. Or I stay with my current policy and stay covered on any medical conditions that have surfaced between now and then. Will be meeting with broker this week to discuss the options.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow pretty pricy. Does it cover all types of "high risk" activities or just sledding?

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that Back Country Riding is not covered. The only company I found that covered it in a big grey box would be Co-operators and only if you said you didn't participate in high marking. I asked if this was any different that normal travel climbing a hill that one could perceive as the same as high marking. I was then told it would not be covered. I believe that this will and would be easy for the company to overrule you coverage after you dead and gone leaving your family with nothing.

However, you can with almost ALL companies get a rider that will cover you for Back country riding. This rider would cover you regardless of what happens. The cheapest I could find was $750/month based on 2 mil policy. Obviously the lower or higher the policy will effect the monthly premium.

It took me almost 7 months to finalize this policy and I searched a lot of companies before going the direction I went. If anybody can find a better deal I would be quite surprised.

I should add that the $750 is over above the actual premium without the rider.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow pretty pricy. Does it cover all types of "high risk" activities or just sledding?

I belive it is a simple as filling out forms for other extreme activities such as small aircraft or racing. I don't think the cost would go up but it goes out the mother company for review.

Yes pricy but I like to ride and I do it safely however I don't feel its worth my family losing if something was to happen to me.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being we are talking about insurance and this could be off topic about personal insurance for your family while doing extreme sports but it is about insurance for sledding, specifically taking people out sledding.
I would CAUTION anyone who goes out and guides people out there without liability insurance, your playing a dangerous game. Should an incident happen while you were guiding a group, you could be held completely responsible in a court of law and it could cost you dearly. Even your home in a serious case where the victim is hurt badly and financially suffer's. A good lawyer will make sure he is taken care of by you. Just the financial cost to defend your self could be devastating.
If you choose to guide people in the back country get insurance to do so...you CANNOT get insurance to guide in BC without the proper certification's.
So get certified to guide, otherwise your basically irresponsible to the people your taking out and your family should something happen.
BTW, private waiver's are useless and dismissed in court. Waiver's only apply when used by certified guiding but even a good layer can work around waivers if negligence is found.
My point is, don't guide or pretend to guide. If your out with people riding, tell them up front, your not a guide and are just out to ride. DONOT exchange money for the service. That single act will make you 100% liable should something happen.
I guided from 2007-2010, i stopped because the cost was too high for me. I no longer guide professionally and IF i take people out its just a fun ride with no compensation, i'm not liable for them, no more that they are liable for me.
This is food for thought for those doing it. I know lots doit and have been for a long time and getting away with no incidents, but who can predict what will happen next time.

A lot of people think being a guide is about being a good or even a top rider. Honestly that is the farthest from what a real guide is. Number one thing a guide is, exactly that your guide, to keep you safe from danger, safety is #1. Two, making sure the client is properly covered and taken care of should an incident happen, thus insurance. Three, take the client to secret places to ride awesome pow.

Last edited:

Symbiotic

Reaction score
This is all good constructive information. I'm seeing my broker tomorrow about rates/coverage, wanting my wife and two kids looked after should something happen to me. I'm also a private contractor so it'll be interesting to see what is said and offered for rates.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention this, I was asked to take a group out this winter, they were a bigger group of farmers and was for local ag dealer, I first thought it was a great idea, they would cover my exspensesne and throw in a gift.. until I had really thought it overa few days and this point came up.. So sad because of the legal crap.. You need to cover your ass theses days

Being we are talking about insurance and this could be off topic about personal insurance for your family while doing extreme sports but it is about insurance for sledding, specifically taking people out sledding.
I would CAUTION anyone who goes out and guides people out there without liability insurance, your playing a dangerous game. Should an incident happen while you were guiding a group, you could be held completely responsible in a court of law and it could cost you dearly. Even your home in a serious case where the victim is hurt badly and financially suffer's. A good lawyer will make sure he is taken care of by you. Just the financial cost to defend your self could be devastating.
If you choose to guide people in the back country get insurance to do so...you CANNOT get insurance to guide in BC without the proper certification's.
So get certified to guide, otherwise your basically irresponsible to the people your taking out and your family should something happen.
BTW, private waiver's are useless and dismissed in court. Waiver's only apply when used by certified guiding but even a good layer can work around waivers if negligence is found.
My point is, don't guide or pretend to guide. If your out with people riding, tell them up front, your not a guide and are just out to ride. DONOT exchange money for the service. That single act will make you 100% liable should something happen.
I guided from 2007-2010, i stopped because the cost was too high for me. I no longer guide professionally and IF i take people out its just a fun ride with no compensation, i'm not liable for them, no more that they are liable for me.
This is food for thought for those doing it. I know lots doit and have been for a long time and getting away with no incidents, but who can predict what will happen next time.

A lot of people think being a guide is about being a good or even a top rider. Honestly that is the farthest from what a real guide is. Number one thing a guide is, exactly that your guide, to keep you safe from danger, safety is #1. Two, making sure the client is properly covered and taken care of should an incident happen, thus insurance. Three, take the client to secret places to ride awesome pow.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion and the point on liability insurance is well made. As with many things insurance related, claims are based on the specifics of a given situation so any generality is just that.

Just in case anyone isn't perfectly clear, Life insurance on your life for the benefit of your family is completely different from the liability insurance you get on your sled and both of these are different than the liability insurance you may get as a professional guide.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I have one suggestion is to get life insurance at a young age. Premiums are low enough to afford it and unless you are in extreme poor health you would qualify much easier than later on. Been paying $85/month for around 18 years now.

I got life insurance at age 22 I think, before I snowmobiled, $21/month for 20 years. I contacted my insurance recently to tell them I snowmobiled, he said because it's term life insurance that it doesn't matter and I'd still be covered. When I go to renew, that's when it could bite me in the behind.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the thing i highly recommend when hiring a guide is ask before hiring. "Are you insured?"
When i guided no one asked that question and i suspect most people don't but just assume i was. In the grand scheme of thing's it's protection for the guide, you and your family. Because things can happen, then base your decision on that.

Its all about making sure your family is taken care of should something happen.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 20 year should be coming up in the next year or so. Wondering how my high blood pressure will be handled as I didn't have it when I took out the policy.

I went to change some of my insurance around last fall and my policy got rejected because of my blood pressure. The only way they'll consider it is if I'm under doctor treatment for a year and it falls under their guidelines (which it currently is). I can only imagine what my rates are going to do.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very valid points! A very good colleague of mine retired a few years ago and took up hiking on the costal mountains around Vancouver. The "club" was organized thru some type of program offered by the City of White Rock. Anyway, they had a "guide" and a helper who was my colleague. During one of their hiking trips another hiker in the group had a heart attack and fell down a bluff and was killed. The family is now suing the "guide" who was simply a volunteer and last time I heard the legal fees were over 100 grand and piling up.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tks for the info!! I have been taking high blood pressure pills for over 10 years now so wonder if that would help when it comes time to renew.

I went to change some of my insurance around last fall and my policy got rejected because of my blood pressure. The only way they'll consider it is if I'm under doctor treatment for a year and it falls under their guidelines (which it currently is). I can only imagine what my rates are going to do.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very valid points! A very good colleague of mine retired a few years ago and took up hiking on the costal mountains around Vancouver. The "club" was organized thru some type of program offered by the City of White Rock. Anyway, they had a "guide" and a helper who was my colleague. During one of their hiking trips another hiker in the group had a heart attack and fell down a bluff and was killed. The family is now suing the "guide" who was simply a volunteer and last time I heard the legal fees were over 100 grand and piling up.

That is what i'm talking about, i would hate to see someone go through something like this. It can happen, i was explained a lot of legal jargon by my lawyer when i first set up my guiding business. Its honestly not black and white or simple. Good insurance will safe your arse if things go side ways on a tour.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are required by the province to have a minimum 2 mill insurance for my business, I carry 5. Lund has made some good points. I would not be able to survive if I only guided people with their own sleds. It is tough becoming a guide, being a a good rider barely makes the top 5. Most people will not spend three or four years takings avy courses or doing a 80 hour Wilderness first aid course every three years.

For those spending tons on personal insurance, what portion do you spend on safety equipment and training to avoid needing that insurance?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those spending tons on personal insurance, what portion do you spend on safety equipment and training to avoid needing that insurance?

That all came before the insurance in my case. I ride with every piece f gear that I feel can help me in an emergency. It is possible to have an accident even if your as professional as you can be. Look at the McBride avalanche.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went through a financial advisor for life insurance and a few other things, and I'm really glad we did. I recommend it to everyone :) He helped us much more than any insurance agent we've ever spoken with!

And because my body is such a pristine temple, I qualified for excellent health insurance. LOL

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went through a financial advisor for life insurance and a few other things, and I'm really glad we did. I recommend it to everyone :) He helped us much more than any insurance agent we've ever spoken with!

And because my body is such a pristine temple, I qualified for excellent health insurance. LOL

LOL...my body is like a renovated pristine temple.....wonder if that would qualify me?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes!!! $750/mo for insurance? Do you pay that all year round or just during the sledding season? I guess when you compare it to the cost of the sport, it's not exorbitant. ...but that's still a lot of coin.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Interesting. In what way would a financial advisor be able to give you insurance advice that an insurance broker would not? Or did you opt to save/invest in stead of getting insurance?

Top Bottom