Life insurance ???

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you there that have kids and responsibilities that don't have life insurance???!
It just piss's me off when I hear people that aren't responsible enough to look after their luv ones if something should happen.
If you don't ? Get some for christ sakes !!!!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some. 1.5 mill first to die as well my parents still have whole life on me. But im not covered for mountain sledding.... I need to re visit that and see what the cost difference is or follow my wifes wishes and stop going west... 3 year old and 3 month old is putting pressure on those 7 day trips out west from sask as it is...

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have life insurance but have been refused because of bad health.
Sucks to be me eh!?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way I can afford life insurance. With my Harley, razor, boat, sleds, quad, lifted Chevy, and white oakleys. Payments are huge. We are In a recession you know.

My plan is to get as much dept as possible so my family can't even afford a funeral. They aren't important are they?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have life insurance but have been refused because of bad health.
Sucks to be me eh!?!!

Not at all , better have a savings account to cover at least putting yourself away .
Any extra for loved ones is a bonus right?
Cheers

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a mortgage at home and I own my place outright in BC.
My sleds,boat,Mercedes,Vette and pick up are all paid for.
I got a nice bank account and bring home around 10,000 a month.
I think she will be fine! Lol

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I have one suggestion is to get life insurance at a young age. Premiums are low enough to afford it and unless you are in extreme poor health you would qualify much easier than later on. Been paying $85/month for around 18 years now.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^*
Exactly . I have had insurance since 16 (36 years ago)and once you have it they can't take it away as long as you keep paying the supper cheap premiums .
Have added different ones later but have always carried something .
Just can't believe some folks can be so er-responsible .

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I have one suggestion is to get life insurance at a young age. Premiums are low enough to afford it and unless you are in extreme poor health you would qualify much easier than later on. Been paying $85/month for around 18 years now.

My dad keeps telling me to get life insurance. I'm only 23 and don't have a wife or kids, makes me wonder if he wants to get rid of me and collect the insurance lol. After reading this I think he might have a point though.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have quite a lot on me and the wife.....However I do insure myself for the mountains while sledding at a cost of $750/month

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you there that have kids and responsibilities that don't have life insurance???!
It just piss's me off when I hear people that aren't responsible enough to look after their luv ones if something should happen.
If you don't ? Get some for christ sakes !!!!

I could be wrong but i believe it is very difficult and expensive to get life insurance when involved in high risk activities. You can have life insurance, but to collect after the fact if death occurred during a high risk activity is nearly impossible.
These would include things like sky diving, scuba diving, military combat and any firearm related death, criminal activity causing death, back country skiing and sledding. Other then on the resort type skiing. Just to mention a few, the list goes on. These are question's you need to ask your insurance broker, but even though you have life insurance it doesn't mean you'll be covered in a sledding accident such as an avalanche. You need to ask and don't be surprise if they say no.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your points are exactly what I am talking about Lund and people need to have a good discussion with members involved .
I will bet that most haven't even checked or talked about it ?
Anyone that can sit in front of your family ,wife and kids saying"it sucks to be you guys if something should happen to me due to my poor choices and you will left with no financial help is being selfish ". IMO
If you can do that I guess it's your choice and family's .Right ?
Folks that are like smokendave and set up without any dept so be it as he has looked after things .IMO

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a coincidence that this thread was started. I just met with my insurance broker. My 20 year term is almost up and I'm looking at either a new term or extending my existing term. The first question I asked was about back country sledding. On my current one, I'm covered because I have no exclusions. Because back when I bought the policy, they were not asking about that activity.

If I move forward with a new term, it will be cheaper, but I will be contacted to do a phone interview by the supplier of the insurance and asked a lot of questions. They will even send a nurse out to collect urine and blood pressure samples. And based on the responses, they will put exclusions on the policy ( back country access not covered ) or they will jack the price up. This also includes any medical issues that come up in the interview.

My 0.05 cents.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance when it comes to high risk activities is a very tricky business.
I want to relate an experience that happened to me personally over 10yrs ago. I had a major accident at the BIS in Revy in March of 2005. I had accidental and life insurance. Also was sponsored by BRP as a hill climber to show off their product at these events.
After the accident and a heli out and a totaled sled, i was 8 months off work with ZERO income, insurance coverage voided, so other then the wife income nothing. I had 2 kids at the time at home and the only help i got offered was a job opportunity with a BRP dealer as manager. Needless to say i have never purchased a BRP product since.....but that's another story.

My advice is read the fine print, ask a lot of question's and take nothing for granted when it comes to insurance coverage. To add to this, anyone who has active loans and credits with financial institutes and carry an insurance on the loan should also check if they are covered under high risk activities. Loosing your wheels is one thing but loosing your house because the institute won't cover you......would not be good. If you died it could put your family out on the street.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 20 year should be coming up in the next year or so. Wondering how my high blood pressure will be handled as I didn't have it when I took out the policy.

Must be a coincidence that this thread was started. I just met with my insurance broker. My 20 year term is almost up and I'm looking at either a new term or extending my existing term. The first question I asked was about back country sledding. On my current one, I'm covered because I have no exclusions. Because back when I bought the policy, they were not asking about that activity.

If I move forward with a new term, it will be cheaper, but I will be contacted to do a phone interview by the supplier of the insurance and asked a lot of questions. They will even send a nurse out to collect urine and blood pressure samples. And based on the responses, they will put exclusions on the policy ( back country access not covered ) or they will jack the price up. This also includes any medical issues that come up in the interview.

My 0.05 cents.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 20 year should be coming up in the next year or so. Wondering how my high blood pressure will be handled as I didn't have it when I took out the policy.

This is the dilemma I'm having. I can save 11 grand (over 20 years) on a new policy before any questions are asked. Or I stay with my current policy and stay covered on any medical conditions that have surfaced between now and then. Will be meeting with broker this week to discuss the options.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but i believe it is very difficult and expensive to get life insurance when involved in high risk activities. You can have life insurance, but to collect after the fact if death occurred during a high risk activity is nearly impossible.
These would include things like sky diving, scuba diving, military combat and any firearm related death, criminal activity causing death, back country skiing and sledding. Other then on the resort type skiing. Just to mention a few, the list goes on. These are question's you need to ask your insurance broker, but even though you have life insurance it doesn't mean you'll be covered in a sledding accident such as an avalanche. You need to ask and don't be surprise if they say no.

Your points are exactly what I am talking about Lund and people need to have a good discussion with members involved .
I will bet that most haven't even checked or talked about it ?
Anyone that can sit in front of your family ,wife and kids saying"it sucks to be you guys if something should happen to me due to my poor choices and you will left with no financial help is being selfish ". IMO
If you can do that I guess it's your choice and family's .Right ?
Folks that are like smokendave and set up without any dept so be it as he has looked after things .IMO

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that Back Country Riding is not covered. The only company I found that covered it in a big grey box would be Co-operators and only if you said you didn't participate in high marking. I asked if this was any different that normal travel climbing a hill that one could perceive as the same as high marking. I was then told it would not be covered. I believe that this will and would be easy for the company to overrule you coverage after you dead and gone leaving your family with nothing.

However, you can with almost ALL companies get a rider that will cover you for Back country riding. This rider would cover you regardless of what happens. The cheapest I could find was $750/month based on 2 mil policy. Obviously the lower or higher the policy will effect the monthly premium.

It took me almost 7 months to finalize this policy and I searched a lot of companies before going the direction I went. If anybody can find a better deal I would be quite surprised.

I should add that the $750 is over above the actual premium without the rider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom