Kitten

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I grew up with dogs and still have one, never owned a cat.......(always thought cats were for single women and gay men lol)
My wife has always been good to me and puts more into my house then she has to. Been together almost 5 years now and she has always been asking for a kitten, And I have been saying NO!!!…….. But now as TJ is getting older, but still very playful. We both know we don't want to be without him, but I really don't want another dog to train and watch over.

So I'm leaning towards a kitten now and want to make it a surprise. So here's where I need help?

99% sure it will be a black female, so....

What age can I bring one home?
Should it be litter box trained? (because I really want a box of **** in my house)
How old to get her fixed?
Anything else ????

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up with dogs and still have one, never owned a cat.......(always thought cats were for single women and gay men lol)
My wife has always been good to me and puts more into my house then she has to. Been together almost 5 years now and she has always been asking for a kitten, And I have been saying NO!!!…….. But now as TJ is getting older, but still very playful. We both know we don't want to be without him, but I really don't want another dog to train and watch over.

So I'm leaning towards a kitten now and want to make it a surprise. So here's where I need help?

Should it be litter box trained? (because I really want a box of **** in my house)
Anything else ????
bye a gold fish. Long before you get tired of it,it will die. Flush it down the toilet and move on.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm also asking here, as she doesn't have an account on S&M. But would see it on Facebook

Greg5658

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never was a cat guy until I got married, I got my wife an "outside" cat that became a house cat and honestly it's not that bad. A few things, don't get a long haired cat, do get a bunch of those 3m sticky rollers, don't expect your house to be hair free, do get a female and get it fixed because long run they have less medical issues then males, do get a scratching post and take the time to spritz the cat whenever it's clawing things it shouldn't. Litter boxes aren't that bad if they get cleaned out and fresh litter regularly and are put somewhere away from trafficked areas. Pregnant women can't go near litter boxes so if you're looking at that it'll be up to you. Best litter box for adult cats is get a plastic tub with a lid, put a couple inches of litter in it, cut a hole that the cat can get through high as high up as is practical, and put a piece of rug beside it for the cat to clean its paws on. Honestly having cats are hugely entertaining.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Anything else ????

Cats are super smart...we just got two kittens, they are a blast. Can’t declare them anymore so best invest into scratching post materials and start building. They used their litter boxes once we showed them where they were at, fill up their food dishes and away you go.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always had cats and dogs.
Found the cats never had to litter train them. They just used the litter box.
Our dog passed on 3 years ago. I'm waiting for our 2 yr old to turn 6 before we look at another dog

The one cat (manx, no tail) is great with our daughter. The tabby cat loves me to death goes where I go but trys to avoid the kid (I'm thinking its cause of his tail).

Great companions.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Bengal is a nice animal. Very smart and fun to have around but very busy . Lol
Look after a pair of them for a bit and very smart .
Can be pricey but get what you pay for.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had cats for 6 years now. Neighbours have some. They let them roam....Don't really miss them. They were great on the farm. Have always had a dog but I'm leaning towards not getting another after this one as we are always on the go. It's a pain to have someone look after him. Same would be with a cat. House cats we had were fun and entertaining tho. As someone said get a female. The male we had cost me a lot of money to keep him going.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never was a cat guy until I got married, I got my wife an "outside" cat that became a house cat and honestly it's not that bad. A few things, don't get a long haired cat, do get a bunch of those 3m sticky rollers, don't expect your house to be hair free, do get a female and get it fixed because long run they have less medical issues then males, do get a scratching post and take the time to spritz the cat whenever it's clawing things it shouldn't. Litter boxes aren't that bad if they get cleaned out and fresh litter regularly and are put somewhere away from trafficked areas. Pregnant women can't go near litter boxes so if you're looking at that it'll be up to you. Best litter box for adult cats is get a plastic tub with a lid, put a couple inches of litter in it, cut a hole that the cat can get through high as high up as is practical, and put a piece of rug beside it for the cat to clean its paws on. Honestly having cats are hugely entertaining.
I'm 51 and she's 53, so kids are not in our future lol. TJ is a Springer Spaniel, Golden Retriever Cross. Both parents are papered pure breads, which means he sheds more then both put together lol, so the fur isn't an issue either.
I really like your advice with the litter box and the locations, with carpet outside. Thank you

The Bengal is a nice animal. Very smart and fun to have around but very busy . Lol
Look after a pair of them for a bit and very smart .
Can be pricey but get what you pay for.
Jacky's best friend breeds large Maine Coons., which are a very cool looking cat, but I'm not paying over a grand for a cat..... LMAO
Honestly, I'm looking at free/give away/20 bucks come and get kind of cat

Haven't had cats for 6 years now. Neighbours have some. They let them roam....Don't really miss them. They were great on the farm. Have always had a dog but I'm leaning towards not getting another after this one as we are always on the go. It's a pain to have someone look after him. Same would be with a cat. House cats we had were fun and entertaining tho. As someone said get a female. The male we had cost me a lot of money to keep him going.
We live in a small acreage community and there are cats cruising for mice all the time. To me, that's what a cat is for. Jacky had a female cat for like 18 years and it's ashes are in our bedroom lol.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jacky is going to be out of work for the next 3 weeks or so......... So I was thinking of getting one sooner than later, so she can have the time with the kitten.

What do you all think is a decent age to bring one home?

I brought TJ home at 7 weeks, only because his mom still lives next door.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a cat or a dog but strangely enough, every summer I end picking **** off of my lawn.
That's because of lazy city people. Out here all the dogs take turns on ****ting on each others lawns, so it's no big deal to me. But what does bother me, is TJ knows what he can piss on and what he shouldn't. But the other dog's don't know that and that bothers me.

But...… back on topic

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jacky is going to be out of work for the next 3 weeks or so......... So I was thinking of getting one sooner than later, so she can have the time with the kitten.

What do you all think is a decent age to bring one home?

I brought TJ home at 7 weeks, only because his mom still lives next door.
7-8 weeks is just fine. We found both of our cats while they were kittens, and got separated from mom. The youngest one was only ~6 weeks old according to the vet.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Older cat...
When I met my wife 27 years ago she had a Shepard/wolf and a Pitbull/lab...they both were put down 2 years after we met at 15 years old for health reasons[hips and cancer]. Didn't have the time to look after anymore dogs. A friend that was moving to a new apartment with new boy friend had 3 cats, she was only allowed 2. We took the 7 year old, 25lb Tabby named Toby aka Tubby [freakin sweet heart], it had spent it's hole 7 years in an apartment, never saw a bird, never heard a furnace kick on, never walked a set of stairs, never heard a lawn mower start, etc... For the first year the cat was freaked out by all the strange noises, had to carry him down the stairs for a while. Would go up, not down.

I got him a buddy from the pound, a 6 week old Russian Blue[completely grey in colour], mother was hit by a car. I called him FISH [Abe Vigoda]. Had him fixed at 6 months and he never saw another vet until he had pasted at 15. He was a holy terror, had to put a laundry basket over him with a phone book on top of the basket to keep them separated some times [a time out]. At 8-10 weeks old he would get the old guy in a head lock and bite his ears, lol. Old guy wouldn't fight back. Roaming cats aren't pets in my neighbourhood, they become a missing poster...usually coyote or fox food, sometimes road kill. I Put up an old door to the basement, cut an arch out of the bottom so they could get through, door is kept closed and litter is in the basement [minimal order from litter box/plastic tub, when cleaned ever so often, basement just worked better for me.] ...gave them a safe spot when the small kids were over. Both cats were completely different as far as personalities go, still pretty cool in there own ways. Both were short hair, you'll still get hair though. As mentioned get a GOOD scratching post, something that won't move when they're shredding it [they shed claws]. Get a water bottle sprayer, perhaps a super-soaker so when the cat starts trashing your carpet or couch or what have you, you can spray it...they figure it out pretty fast when they're in sheet, lol. They both had all claws. They both coughed up hair balls. They both shared a water and food dish.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok. So I need a black female kitten within the next week or so. I’ll also need to get a kitten home set up kit lol. Thinking about just going to Pet Planet, where I buy the majority of his stuff. Not sure if I want a used scratching pole in my house

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I need a black female kitten within the next week or so. I’ll also need to get a kitten home set up kit lol. Thinking about just going to Pet Planet, where I buy the majority of his stuff. Not sure if I want a used scratching pole in my house

if you want to bust out the tools, end of the roll for some carpet and a sheet of plywood, couple 2x4's and you'll save hundreds of dollars...congrats on the decision, they're a lot of fun!

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get them fixed at 8 weeks old put them in the litter box pull there feet threw it keep clean every couple days you can get easy cleaning one as well they have layers to sift the bad litter out cats are ok

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you want to bust out the tools, end of the roll for some carpet and a sheet of plywood, couple 2x4's and you'll save hundreds of dollars...congrats on the decision, they're a lot of fun!
That's a great idea :beer:

Top Bottom