(Keystone) Caribou and Standard Basin Closure in effect next season.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which specific areas are closed? is it the total area, or just most of it?
I Heard from Powder Puff about this news...

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Yes, most of Keystone :eek:. We`ll have the maps soon and I`ll put them on here. Yesterday aft. we met with MoE, they told us Caribou Basin and Standard Basin are closed to snowmobiling, this goes into effect Jan 1/11. Prime Mtn. Caribou habaitat is the reason and pressure from enviro groups to save the animals.

Please keep in mind they are on here reading your comments also and so are our friends in the media.

We will let you all know what the plan is and how you can help soon.

:rant:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yes, most of Keystone :eek:. We`ll have the maps soon and I`ll put them on here. Yesterday aft. we met with MoE, they told us Caribou Basin and Standard Basin are closed to snowmobiling, this goes into effect Jan 1/11. Prime Mtn. Caribou habaitat is the reason and pressure from enviro groups to save the animals.

Please keep in mind they are on here reading your comments also and so are our friends in the media.

We will let you all know what the plan is and how you can help soon.

:rant:

I have no doubt you are correct in that statement. That said it really makes me question the mandate and ethics of mainstream media, I'd like to think that I should be able to trust the information provided by these sources. Unfortunately I can't. I understand the financial requirements to sell advertising space and readership plays a huge factor in this BUT..... if media professionals are actually frequenting this site why is nothing ever printed from our point of view and the stuggles we face in trying to self educate our own as well as face backlash from enviromental lobby groups, government burocrats and overlapping buisiness ventures?

Huge increases in avalanche training
Frequent efforts to support the CAC
Volunteer efforts and hours by those of you who Groom, maintain cabins/parking areas, clean garbage and so on.
The undeniable financial benifit to mountain communities.
The fact that we are not all environmental executioners but infact have great love and admiration for the outdoors.
Ect..Ect..Ect...

Last edited:

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if they're reading this, i would like my right to "access to public information" as the media would say, to see the full file on this and the info they have to make the decision and the costs of the studies and who funds or donates money to caribou cause. just being polite.

now not to be polite, when are they going to close all highways cause the amount of animals getting killed plus cost of fixing vehicles and hospital bills must be getting up there too. oh yea if we couldn't drive we'd have to snowmobile to get there.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The costs for the studies done by the science team were covered by gov. with the million$ budget to save the Mtn. Caribou. That`s were all the money went.
The Revy club and the BCSF worked with and negotiated with gov. for 4 yrs. to have a signed Stewardship Managment Agreement to be able to continue snowmobiling at Caribou Basin, Keystone/Standard Basin, Sale and Frisby just about 2 yrs. ago now.
When it was signed we were told not to expect any further closures. We were the first club to work with gov. on the SMA`s to be used for other areas in the prov. that would be affected by Mtn. Caribou Habitat closures.
The Revelstoke club has worked with gov. for 25 yrs. on this issue. Years ago 60% of the area to the N of Revy was closed to snowmobiling.
Closures now on Frisby, Sale, Keystone and Caribou Basin are the clubs responsibility to sign, produce info brochures and to inform club members and visiting snowmobilers about mtn. caribou habitat closures in the Revelstoke area. Patrolling is done Jan. 1-Apr. 15 each season by club volunteers, the club reimburses volunteers for their fuel. The volunteers are provided with jackets, first aid courses and avalance training. This costs to the club are huge each season and huge time is invested in patrolling and attending meetings on a volunteer basis.
The SMA was signed with MoE, last fall ILMB came to us with this proposal told us our deal was with MoE not ILMB, we came back with our proposal and they met with us yesterday to tell us that Standard Basin and Caribou Basin are now closed to snowmobiling. Mr. ILMB was Mr. MoE again yesterday.
There is huge history with the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club and gov. working together to save the Mtn. Caribou, but the media isn`t interested.

These areas are not closed to heli-skiing, if it was all about the Caribou they should be closed to those users also.
They told us the forestry industry has also taken a hit to save the mtn. caribou.
That`s great, they gave it to us good in Revelstoke, forestry is one of top 2 employers and snowmobiling tourism each season is a 8 million $ deal each winter. We were told yesterday there are 10 Mtn. Caribou alive in Revelstoke South last time they guessed.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Information is readily available to show the impact that helicopters have on the Mountain Caribou..... the fact that they run scared for long distances burning valuable energy otherwise required for survival.....

Why has the media not picked this up as a topic for discussion??????????

Just askin.......

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
But tenured operators pay the gov. for each of their guests that visit our backcountry. Just cause you live here doesn`t mean you can enjoy these areas also.
Media is too busy portraying us as highmarking rednecks with no appreciation of life these days in case you haven`t notice. ;)

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never could, and never will trust the government. i feel really bad for the revy club and all the volunteers hours just to get thrown under the bus.

maybe a person will have to snowshoe in next year get a good hiding spot, then push your spot transceiver, and then see how search rescue would work with no sled access. just a thought. more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't the first step for the Government in "herding the cattle"... if you know what I mean. It almost feels like they are punishing SRS and the average sledders because of what has happened this season.:(

finners

Reaction score
So is this going to be a permenate closure, or just Jan 1 to April 15? not that it really matters because it hurts either way...

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. After riding revy the past 20 years in numerous different areas regardless of caribou areas or not I have never even come across a single caribou nor any sign of them tracks/droppings. Not to say they are not there but you would think after 20years I would at least have had a near siting.

When the snow pack is 13+ft deep I cant imagine they are running around at that altitude? Would they not be at lower alt. when snow conditions are at there deepest? Makes perfect sense to close all the higher alt riding areas?? I love the backcountry and love the wildlife but give me a freaking break.

I have mentioned this in other posts over the years. Sleds can only really access backcountry from where we can drive our trucks ie highway access. From the time we leave the truck we can cover aprox 50km in unless packing extra fuel. How many areas even have access? If you draw these areas on a map it is so small yet they want to close even more. Lastly compare viable riding areas to inaccessible area and the ratio is staggering. What is the point of having wilderness if one can t even use it. Not many can afford to airlift their sleds/gear around to enjoy the back country. I love comments like if you want to access the backcountry then you need to hike or ride a bike..........then how small of an area is accessible. Not many hikers are going to go much past 10km!

Again I love the wilderness but the greenies really need to wake up.

rant on! :rant:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Tuesday it`s mostly an elevation closure 1300-2100 m. Yes when the snow is deep that is when the caribou travel to the alpine to eat the lichen on the trees, it`s their winter food.

We do see the animals and tracks on occasion but we look for them.They travel on our tracks, it`s easier for them to get around. There are no preditors and life is good.

These new closures will be in effect Jan-Apr. 15 inclusive each season like the others in effect now.

Cuso a lot or riding areas in B.C. now have new SMA`s signed with gov., some have closures now or have additional closures and some even have club member access only areas. But yes it does seem like Revy gets hit first for a lot of issues.

Feels like we got ran over by the bus not just thrown in front of it.
The fact that these areas will still remain open to heli-skiing is tough to swallow.

Last edited:

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding around Revelstoke for about 12 years and unlike Tuesay, I have seen these creatures a few times, I have seen there tracks many times and even found a dropped antler. But I'm also a hunter as well as a sledder. The times I have seen these animals they were not scared of my presents and carried on with what they were doing not caring what we were doing. Reminded me of the Elk in Banff with all the tourist standing taking pictures.

I firmly believe that the caribou are being used as pawns by these envro groups to limit and close down the areas we love to ride. It is a real shame and I believe these groups need to have a good look at themselves.

Don't understand why the heliskier are allowed to ski these areas, that just confirms my above statement.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tuesday it`s mostly an elevation closure 1300-2100 m. Yes when the snow is deep that is when the caribou travel to the alpine to eat the lichen on the trees, it`s their winter food.

We do see the animals and tracks on occasion but we look for them.They travel on our tracks, it`s easier for them to get around. There are no preditors and life is good.

These new closures will be in effect Jan-Apr. 15 inclusive each season like the others in effect now.

Cuso a lot or riding areas in B.C. now have new SMA`s signed with gov., some have closures now or have additional closures and some even have club member access only areas. But yes it does seem like Revy gets hit first for a lot of issues.

Feels like we got ran over by the bus not just thrown in front of it.
The fact that these areas will still remain open to heli-skiing is tough to swallow.

They go higher in altitude as the snow gets deeper? That seems strange.

Like mentioned the green peacers just like to pick on the sledders.

I still find it hard to swallow that in our millions of back country area the dozen or so small areas we ride need to be further regulated/closed because of the irritation to wild life.

Again, when you look at a map the extremely small area we ride it is so small compared to the inaccessible areas.

I am always thankful when the snowmobile society's work to keep what is left open. Hopefully it doesnt end up like Alberta, most decent mountain riding is in the park or fluz zone so it becomes inaccessible. What a joke.:nono:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Here is the closure that has been in effect Jan.1-Apr. 15 each season on Keystone

http://www.revelstokesnowmobileclub.com/pdf/8_5x11keystone_snoclos_rv_poster_081222.PDF

...........and here my friends is the additional closure gov. has put into effect for this comming season. :eek:

Keystone Closure.jpg

the BCSF has been working with gov. on this for us all and next mo. the club, society and BCSF have a meeting with gov.
Red is closed, Green is open on the maps.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
least somethings still open,the greens all season?reds 4 month closure?......;)

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, Snowmobile Revelstoke Society and Great Canadian Snowmbile Tours had our meeting with Intregrated Land Managment Bureau (ILMB).
First we asked for the areas to be closed to other users also. We were told there was no way that would happen.
We asked for a member/permit system to be used at Caribou Basin.
We asked for an extended area to remain open at Keystone, an improved parking area and that we be able to groom the access trail.
We asked for all closures to be removed on Frisby.
We asked for 2 access trails to be developed into Turtle and funding for an emergency shelter.
We won`t hear back till some time in Sept.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read the bottom line Glen.
And good luck with your application Kathy, if you are successful maybe it will trickle down to the smaller clubs when we need to go for something.

Top Bottom