(Keystone) Caribou and Standard Basin Closure in effect next season.

HIGHTEC REDNECK

Reaction score
This whole thing is bull$hit these magical caribou that only come out when the tree humpers are around. I've sledded for 15 years out in revy and never seen one caribou.... I guess harrasing them with a heilcopper is more geen peace style:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::kickass: I should come up with m fellow indian brothers and we will hunt ever last one of them down :BBQ::xmas-smiley-002::BBQ:

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found out last wknd. they are still being hunted in Northern B.C. ,

maybe we could pay a few indians, who are allowed to hunt all things at all times... to do us a favour!!
we feed a few native families... and we open up areas to sledding and with all the sledders in town we feed a whole buch of revy families!!

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Mtn. caribou. but they say it will be changing soon. Pretty sure he said the Quesnel area, but I was trying to get back up on my chair.
Some talk about transplanting again.

Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Gov. got back us with their 2nd proposal 2 wks ago and we have sent our suggestions back.
They said member/permit system for Caribou Basin, we suggested member only. They still wanted all of Standard Basin, we offered the Key Rd. and asked for the popular area just past the cabin to remain open and the remainder closed.
None of our other proposal from the 1st go around were even mentioned.
They are pushing for these additional closures to be in effect Jan. 1/11.

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ask for it all back and negotiate from there... these enviro greenies are wack jobs!!
There are hundereds and thousands of acres sledders dont access yet thats not good enough... show them a map of the the monashies and selkirks and point out that we ride less than 1% of the moutain ranges and show them the amount of money sledders bring in and tell them to justify destroying a successful industry!!

But i am sure you good folks have done this... like talking to a wall i bet!!

T

:rant:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
It`s all about prime caribou habitat areas suggested by the science teams. Prime Caribou habitat is based on maps with data collected over the last 15 yrs.
At times it`s more like beating your head against a wall T.

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so thier scientist, that I am sure are very unbiased, get to decide what the "prime" caribou habitats are??.... hhhmmmm sounds suspiscious to me at the very least... I bet all the spots where we ride are the "prime" caribou areas??!! right?? I bet where we dont have or will ever get access are not prime hibitats??

Cant we hire our OWN scientists... to challenge thier scientists ?? we can have them battle it out... :)

T

;)

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 1000's of square miles that we dont have access to, unless you own your own chopper, must apparently be the non prime spots are we are more then welcome to sled our brains out there.

What a joke, I have beat this topic to death yet we continue to loose.

Keep up the fight!

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if theres rideing areas we cant / dont have access to as of yet. and the GOV. says those areas are not prime caribou areas . with all the sledding community we could start funding our own mountain access roads to areas not deemed as caribou areas. if forestry can cut thier own roads, why cant we... :)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sad day for keystone, in all my 25 years of riding i have never seen not one caribou in keystone, well over 100 times going there, this is just not right people, we need to get our land back, just not right

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sad day for keystone, in all my 25 years of riding i have never seen not one caribou in keystone, well over 100 times going there, this is just not right people, we need to get our land back, just not right

My thoughts exactly - never has seen any caridou on the mountain - very sad to here - has been some my best riding days:(

Attachments

• various 531.jpg
    various 531.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 789
  • various 525.jpg
    various 525.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 756
  • various 528.jpg
    various 528.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 779
  • various 547.jpg
    various 547.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 784

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well a clear case of tree hugging winning out, my first trip through the trees past the cabin was 94, guess I should be lucky to say several of my best rides were at keystone, sorry to all those who will likely never see it's beauty. I have never seen a critter there either.

Snow Bro

Reaction score
It seems like the sledder $$$ isn't good enough, and upon seeing the last photos it's clear why were not wanted back there.(not a lot of lichen at that altitude) In fact the few times I have ridden there we were above the treeline? How much do the heli operators have to pay per person-not that we could ever come up with the right kind of $$$.
It's too bad we're going to lose this area, and we can do nothing to stop it from happening. Is the idea to get us to stop bringing our $$$.:confused:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
It seems like the sledder $$$ isn't good enough, and upon seeing the last photos it's clear why were not wanted back there.(not a lot of lichen at that altitude) In fact the few times I have ridden there we were above the treeline? How much do the heli operators have to pay per person-not that we could ever come up with the right kind of $$$.
It's too bad we're going to lose this area, and we can do nothing to stop it from happening. Is the idea to get us to stop bringing our $$$.:confused:

We are lucky here :mad: in Revy to have elevation closures 1770-2100 m. for the habitat closure borders, no where else in the province has these type of boundaries.
Actually lots of lichen at that elevation. We are working with gov. to keep these areas open for us all to ride.

Don`t lay down yet guys. :xmas-smiley-002:

Snow Bro

Reaction score
We are lucky here :mad: in Revy to have elevation closures 1770-2100 m. for the habitat closure borders, no where else in the province has these type of boundaries.
Actually lots of lichen at that elevation. We are working with gov. to keep these areas open for us all to ride.

Don`t lay down yet guys. :xmas-smiley-002:

Thanks for making it clear that there may still be the opportunity to ride at some elevations. It appeared that the whole mtn. was going to be closed to sledders. I have seen the abundance of lichen on the trees while on the way up, as well as deer/caribou tracks on/crossing the trail. It must be less stressful for them to walk on the packed trail?..:rolleyes:
Keep up the good work..

Ruegsegger

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to make a trip to keystone around Jan 14th, would be my first time, but looing at the map above looks like you have to cross the Red zone to get to the green zone? or does the trail start within the green zone? Or is this a "fly ur sled in" kinda deal.

Top Bottom