K & N air filter

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: K & N air filter

been running K&N filters on my 1500 Silverado 6.0L, chev cruze, 68 Beaumont, and a skidoo XM. Never had a single issue. Your filter needs to be sized accordingly. I know on my truck I was running a WIX paper filter. And it triggered the clogged filter indicator on the intake tube all the time. The stock GM one did not and the K&N one did not. If you are pulling in oil from the filter element I would say your filter is undersized for your application. There are simple filter formula calculators on the net that a person could use, K&N has one on there website.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I installed an Air raid intake system in my F350 in 2007 and never have had an issue. My previous diesel was a 7.3 and it had a K&N filter for almost 10yrs in it, again never had an issue.
I have used K&N filters in my quad's, my sand buggies, 4X4 REAL off road truck's and not wannabe one's and even on sled's, never an issue.
I currently use one in my RZR and contrary to many with the RZR, NO issues.

Ignore your intake system and eventually you will pay, maintain it professionally and it will perform for you.
The only issue or complaint i have about K&N filters or Air raid is intake noise, they are noisy.
BTW, ALWAYs use a PREFILTER in off road application and clean it REGULARLY with soapy water, NOT compressed air.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 dodge 3500 diesel ,
would a K & N air any difference ?
power ?
fuel ?
anything ?

is it worth the money ?

To the poster, you will not notice real differences in power, though there might be it really is little but you probably will notice a slight increase in fuel milage. My 04 F350 6.0L went from 18L/100km on average to 16L/100km once i installed my high flow Air raid system. (K&N filter)
Another thing you probably will notice is air intake noise level will increase slightly. IMO its worth the coin in the long run.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you do..... just keep the filter cleaned and lubricated properly!!!... get a prefilter sock as well, and keep it clean too........

ding ding ding!

I have 2 filters - one cleaned, oiled, and ready to go, and the other one in service. Swap the filters every oil change, and use the prefilter sock!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ding ding ding!

I have 2 filters - one cleaned, oiled, and ready to go, and the other one in service. Swap the filters every oil change, and use the prefilter sock!

Seems like a lot of expense and work for very minor gains. There's been enough studies and testing that show the stock filters flow as well and filter better. But, to each his own.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of expense and work for very minor gains. There's been enough studies and testing that show the stock filters flow as well and filter better. But, to each his own.
Links to these said studys ??

I call b.s, a plugged up K and still flows more air than a paper filter

The paper has to be so restricted to filter

Were as a gauze with oil can be bigger, oil stops dirt, and flows way more

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google it. A K&N might flow more air dirty but it also lets in way more dirt. Look at what industry does. You'll never see an oiled gauze filter on equipment that works in the dust eg. Farm equipment, earth movers etc. if they provided better power and economy then every D10 would have them to save fuel. A couple of percent better economy would add up quick when you're using 30 gallons an hour.
The factory Donaldson air filtration systems that come with most diesel pickups flow enough air up to 500HP and filter better. And they don't void your warranty.
If they work for you and you're willing to pay the extra cost and spend your time doing the extra work to service them, have at it. I just don't see the logic.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But look at the size of it for capacity, a Donaldson set up on a big rig

Compared to a K and n that's good for 500 hp

It's a 16th the size

What ever u know all, I will keep my K and n, wash it, oil it, and keep driving happy

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But look at the size of it for capacity, a Donaldson set up on a big rig

Compared to a K and n that's good for 500 hp

It's a 16th the size

What ever u know all, I will keep my K and n, wash it, oil it, and keep driving happy

Knock yourself out. its not that I know all, it's just that I know enough to research whatever I use. Then I purchase the superior product. Common sense and it saves me money that I can use for other enjoyable pastimes.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth...

I used to run the AFE oiled filter. Maintenance was key. Worked fine but as mentioned above many said the stock filter was good up to around 500HP. This is a Ford 6.4 diesel that runs the Donaldson blue filter. Donaldson makes a great filter for diesels. Huge surface area, submicron filtration, water resistant. Thus i went with a Volant intake that uses their Powercore filter which is a shorty Donaldson. Warrantied for 4 years or 100,000 miles under normal use. Flows incredibly well and I sleep better at night.

scottp

Reaction score

Where did you pick up your filter? I have a Volant cold air intake too and need a replacement filter.
Thanks

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Grandwest Enterprises in Saskatchewan is the Canadian distributor I think. They might be able to tell you who retails locally. Can't remember if JB's does the Volant but I believe so. I like the guys at Mopar, they have always got me what I need. Of course you could always grab a couple pops and start internet shopping. I've gone direct from Volant once in past.

Where did you pick up your filter? I have a Volant cold air intake too and need a replacement filter.
Thanks

Top Bottom