would a K & N air any difference ?
power ?
fuel ?
anything ?

is it worth the money ?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will sober up your throttle response and that's about it......

And it will save you on stock air filters, cause the k&n can be washed

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money and buy the napa 4" pleat, filters better. Oiled air filters for diesels are junk, too much air flow and all it does it suck all the oil through and plug up sensors.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ditched my k &n. Not worth risking the engine and turbo for a negligible gain in air flow. They are garbage,
my intake was coated with oil and grit.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Filter won't give a very noticeable improvement.. May be a bit louder and that'll make it feel faster. Milage might change a little bit as it sucks more air easier.. Key is to keep those filters clean. They allow a lot of air thru b/c they don't filter much.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The intake on the 2012 dodge diesels are very good stock the only thing that you get by going to a cold air intake is a little more turbo noise. Oh ya and a lighter wallet

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ditched my k &n. Not worth risking the engine and turbo for a negligible gain in air flow. They are garbage,
my intake was coated with oil and grit.

Yup. Cost me $17000. For new 7.3l in a F550. In dusty applications they suck in the dirt until filter is full then the dirt just goes right through into engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put one in my 2010 duramax and I got "reduced engine power" until I got going and I would get power back. Took the k&n back and put a NAPA gold filter in and no problems since. The only reason I wanted the k&n is because it's washable.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a K&N 450,000 kms 4.6 ford there dust in the intake motor is still going and keep cleaning filter and the mas air sensor with brake clean to

did see a fuel saving

new truck still undecided what it will get

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Cost me $17000. For new 7.3l in a F550. In dusty applications they suck in the dirt until filter is full then the dirt just goes right through into engine.

:confused:
That will happen with any filter if you never service it. If it's getting plugged off that means it's working. The fact you were running through super dusty conditions and never bothered to clean it is your own damn fault-not the fault of the filter. When I worked down the Simonnette Rd. one summer I had to run two filters and swap and wash once a week.

I have run washable filters on everything I have owned that has an engine since 2003. Mostly K&N and S&B. Currently I have AFE on both trucks I have-one diesel one gas. No issues ever with any of them. I like if you splash muddy water on it accidentally it will bead the water off not like a paper that absorbs it. Had this happen in my Titan and was glad I had the AFE on there.
Don't over oil, and you won't have a problem with fouling the MAF. Wash it regularly from the inside out first and then the pleats. Filter minders are handy things to have as well. Most every diesel has one.

As far as the 6.7 Dodge you won't notice much of a difference in performance. Like Trashy said the only thing you save on is having to buy filters all the time. This is handy if you are like me and work hundreds of miles from town for weeks to a month on end in very dusty/muddy environments. Wash them out there and keep on going. If this isn't you, then a good quality paper won't hurt anything. Another option is a cleanable dry filter like the one AFE makes and you can put a dust sock over it. When I install the twins on my Duramax I will be running one of these to try them out. I've heard good things.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That will happen with any filter if you never service it. If it's getting plugged off that means it's working. The fact you were running through super dusty conditions and never bothered to clean it is your own damn fault-not the fault of the filter. When I worked down the Simonnette Rd. one summer I had to run two filters and swap and wash once a week.

I have run washable filters on everything I have owned that has an engine since 2003. Mostly K&N and S&B. Currently I have AFE on both trucks I have-one diesel one gas. No issues ever with any of them. I like if you splash muddy water on it accidentally it will bead the water off not like a paper that absorbs it. Had this happen in my Titan and was glad I had the AFE on there.
Don't over oil, and you won't have a problem with fouling the MAF. Wash it regularly from the inside out first and then the pleats. Filter minders are handy things to have as well. Most every diesel has one.

As far as the 6.7 Dodge you won't notice much of a difference in performance. Like Trashy said the only thing you save on is having to buy filters all the time. This is handy if you are like me and work hundreds of miles from town for weeks to a month on end in very dusty/muddy environments. Wash them out there and keep on going. If this isn't you, then a good quality paper won't hurt anything. Another option is a cleanable dry filter like the one AFE makes and you can put a dust sock over it. When I install the twins on my Duramax I will be running one of these to try them out. I've heard good things.
Also paper filters get wet and snow dusted, when plugged and wet the rip or deform

A K and n will not deform from being wet ect

I also have had a K and n in everything for 15 plus years

Never once had a issue , oil properly ect and ur good

Every stock diesel will have some difference with a K and n over stock paper, because it wants as much air as it can all the time, because of no throttle plates

Yes there are a few that have them now, but more for dpf cleaning

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would run an AFE dry flow over a K&N. Either way use a pre filter. If you run a lot of dusty roads just leave it stock, they filter better.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Service every 250 hours thanks. Every application and situation is different. All I did was share my experience. Thought that's what this forum was all about.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Service every 250 hours thanks. Every application and situation is different. All I did was share my experience. Thought that's what this forum was all about.

If your going to share your experience, at least give all the facts.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a S&B full replacement on my 2010 CTD and I love it, good whistle and it "seems" to have better throttle response. There were no trouble codes or any issues, excellent fit and finish too.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put one in my 2010 duramax and I got "reduced engine power" until I got going and I would get power back. Took the k&n back and put a NAPA gold filter in and no problems since. The only reason I wanted the k&n is because it's washable.

Aren't all Duramax's reduced power! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tired a few drop in filters in my 08 6.7 CTD. 95% of my testing was done while towing 12500lbs. I documented my fuel useage since the truck was new. There is a vacuum gauge on the air box. This will let you know how dirty your air filter is as it gets filled with more and more dirt. This gauge can tell you how restrictive a filter is also.

I tried the stock paper filter, a late model paper filter for a 5.9 (yes it fits if you can not get a 6.7 filter), an AFE drop in pleated filter and a K&N peated drop in filter.

The stock paper filter worked well over all the filters in that it kept the dust out and was second as far as restriction while towing.

The AFE flowed the best but had the least amount of surface area compared to the K&N drop in. I sold the AFE to try the K&N filter.
The K&N was quite oily right out of the box but I ran it after wiping it down with a clean rag. This filter ran more vacuum than the stock paper filter and my fuel economy went down. I cleaned it after running it a weekend and reinstalled it after reoiling it. It ran a bit better after cleaning it but it still ran more vacuum that the stock paper filter. I sold it and went back to stock 6.7 paper filters.

I tried a late model 5.9 filter as I could not get a 6.7 filter when I was out of town. This filter flowed better at low boost situations but at full boost while towing it was slightly more restrictive than the 6.7 paper filter. I base this on my bobtailing runs comparing both filters...checking the vacuum gauge between runs.

People sometimes forget the main purpose of an air filter...it should filter fine dust out of an engine. The stock airbox in these trucks works very well to keep the dirt and dust out of the engine and they also flow relatively well. The late model 6.7s have even better air boxes than the ones in my 2008 and 2012 6.7 Rams.

Some guys add a hole or some small holes in the bottom of the stock airbox. This lets a bit more air in at the expense of potentialy exposing the air filter to more dust. One can change the filters more often though.

IMO it is hard to beat the stock paper filter until you start to modify the engine with say an aftermarket an turbo that the stock airbox won't fit.

I changed out the stock VGT turbo and restrictive exhaust manifold for a higher flowing manifold and larger turbo. I tried a couple of different filters on an AFE Megacanon CAI setup but eventually fit up a larger paper pleated filter from some kind of farm tractor or semi truck. I was much happier knowing that I was not dusting an engine.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K & N air filter

Your stock box with oem filter flows enough to support over 500 hp if I remember right. So spend your cash on other stuff IMO There are cheap stock box mods you can do.

Top Bottom