Invermere area conditions 2017-18

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple guys I was talking to when i was out there this weekend said paradise was decent. Forster should be in great shape for opening day! Can't come soon enough. When is if kosher to head back up Farnham Darcy?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple guys I was talking to when i was out there this weekend said paradise was decent. Forster should be in great shape for opening day! Can't come soon enough. When is if kosher to head back up Farnham Darcy?

Farnham is heli terrain from Dec 1. It is a dangerous place to be when the snow loads up, the access road cuts across a huge slide path. If it lets go when you are up there you are not getting out. If it lets go whem you're under it you will not be found until spring.
This year it is especially bad due to high summer temps melting slot of snow and opening up big crevasses.
It also a place that you "can"go but you have to ask yourself is It worth it?

There has already been an avy incident on another glacier nearby and it burried 4 of 6 skiers. Crown was a meter deep and ran half a km. All were dug out and survived.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farnham is heli terrain from Dec 1. It is a dangerous place to be when the snow loads up, the access road cuts across a huge slide path. If it lets go when you are up there you are not getting out. If it lets go whem you're under it you will not be found until spring.
This year it is especially bad due to high summer temps melting slot of snow and opening up big crevasses.
It also a place that you "can"go but you have to ask yourself is It worth it?

There has already been an avy incident on another glacier nearby and it burried 4 of 6 skiers. Crown was a meter deep and ran half a km. All were dug out and survived.
Yikes. You get to it by going further down the horsetheif road past McDonald creek right?
We were back there long time ago late in the spring in a low snow year and it was nice terrain and stable that time of year. I could see how it'd be sketchy as hell early tho.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring is the time to Go, heli ops finish end of march.

780JPR

Reaction score
anyone been up in the last day or so? me and some guys are in golden thinking of coming south on sunday.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No real precipitation since last week. Temps warmed up to normal -5ish in the Alpine.
Forecast is looking fat for this week.

newbornrider

Reaction score
That sounds like a proposition a arm salesmen province wide are keen to hear.

Why do you say that lol? It's been a few years since iv been in there and i usually went in jan-Feb. But is it real rocky this time of year? And the rocks are one thing to worry about but i tend to worry more about having to sidehill those sketchy avy shoots on the way in and out.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that lol? It's been a few years since iv been in there and i usually went in jan-Feb. But is it real rocky this time of year? And the rocks are one thing to worry about but i tend to worry more about having to sidehill those sketchy avy shoots on the way in and out.
Ya we were in the early in the year once. There's a lot of debris in the sides of those schutes. And a lot of unstable snow up high. Not a place I'd like to have to drag a sled out of

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was some precipitation last week, base is building very nicely.
Forster still closed.
Parking will be at the 27.75km again when it opens.
Paradise Basin trail has been groomed by Toby creek Adventures and trail fees are mandatory@ $25/day.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was some precipitation last week, base is building very nicely.
Forster still closed.
Parking will be at the 27.75km again when it opens.
Paradise Basin trail has been groomed by Toby creek Adventures and trail fees are mandatory@ $25/day.

i LIKE THE MANDATORY!!!! even today there are people trying to use the system without paying. I guess those groomers run on air. And they are usually the ones that complain when they are not smooth as silk.
I rode with a guy twice a couple of years ago rode past a booth with me then i asked and he said why should i pay to ride my sled!!!! I dont ride with him anymore
Rich

Top Bottom