Importing hand guns from deceased

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok... Long story short here. My uncle passed away recently and while cleaning out his place we found a dozen handguns. In any case me and the family would like to see these brought up to us here in alberta. Has anyone done such a thing? not to sure where to start with it all.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Re: Importing hangins from deceased

I'm gonna assume these hangins are south of the border?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

fixed the thread title for you....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm gonna assume these hangins are south of the border?

Yes located in california

edit, I am thinking I will need some way of having a legal wy to carry/transport them to a broker as I am not a resident.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Get hold of this guy

He's never had an issue getting a gun into the country..... leaving is a different story....

Hydro

Reaction score

From the CBSA website:
"Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals

When you arrive at the border, declare your firearm to the border services officer, provide any documents required (as listed below), and answer all questions truthfully. The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm, and may check to ensure that you have stored your firearm properly for transportation. The border services officer will also review your documents and may verify that the firearm you have matches the one described on the documents.
If you have declared a firearm but cannot meet the import requirements, or you do not have the proper documents, the border services officer may allow you to export the firearm from Canada. At his or her discretion, the border services officer may detain the firearm, issue you a receipt and allow you a reasonable amount of time to present the correct documents to the CBSA.
If you have not been truthful, or if the officer believes that you should not bring the firearm into Canada, we can detain it.
If you did not declare the firearm, we will seize it, and you may face criminal charges.
If you need information about importing a specific firearm or weapon, contact the Border Information Service (BIS) at one of the telephone numbers listed in Appendix B."

You'll need to confirm that the pistol is not a prohibited weapon in Canada, and that it meets the Canadian regulations for pistols. For example: the barrel cannot be shorter than 4.25", and we have magazine capacity restrictions (10+1 rounds). You'll also likely be required to show documentation that you are the owner of the pistol (inheritance documents, etc). You'll be required to register the handgun in Canada. As such, you will need to have your restricted PAL (possession and acquisition licence). And, just like the rest of us handgun owners who buy new pistols, you'll need to obtain a temporary authorization to transport (ATT) to get the gun from the border to your home.

In order to obtain a temporary ATT, the RCMP normally require that you demonstrate or produce documentation stating that you are a member of a shooting range, and that you are using the pistols for target practice. The Calgary Shooting Centre has "Associate Memberships" for this reason. They are not full blown memberships, but will demonstrate your membership, and allow you to obtain an Temporary ATT. I normally recommend to people that they apply for a long-term ATT, so that they are not required to contact the CFO (RCMP Chief Firearms Officer) to get a permit to transport the pistol every time they go to the gun range to practice. They normally issue this without much delay. Be aware that they will perform a criminal background check at that time.

If you have all your documentation at hand, and the pistols are not prohibited, you should have very little issue getting the guns through customs and into your collection in Canada. And if you're an American Citizen, make sure to do yourself a favor and buy as much ammunition as you can afford in the US. It's WAY cheaper, and you can transport it in the USA to the border and across, legally...

Or, you could just get a hold of these guys:
and they'll do it all for you!

-Jeff

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Biggest thing is we have no documentation noting that we would be the owner (no inhearateience documents) or have the right to possess/transport a firearm in the states. I am not a american citizen. I do have a firearms license for restricted/non restricted. Nice thing is there's about 300-600 rounds for every handgun, crap load of ammunition.

Following canadian regs is not the big deal it's just getting them to the border without having them confiscated or criminal charges. Also Cbsa says there looking for documentation, but there is nothing on there website, so what do they want in that regards.

i can already see one is prohibited as it is less than 4.25" barrel...

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I would start making phone calls to anyone that might cause you a problem.

Don't know about you but talking on the phone is better than looking at a website. And the CFO might be the best place to start. Like you said you don't wanna end up in a world of chit cause of these weapons

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like you just need an importer, such as I Run Guns or various Canadian firearms dealers (Prophet River). Whoever is receiving the guns on this end needs a restricted PAL. Plus these guns need to be regular restricted here in Canada, they can't be prohibited, which rules out like 1/3 of American guns.

Saskgrizz

Reaction score
I would second getting ahold of Prophet River, good guys and do a lot of imports.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything under 4.25 is prohibited and unless you have that class of license you from days gone by you can't get it now unless you're military or police so you'll never Legally get them to Canada. For anything over 4.25 go the route others have mentioned, seek the services of a broker.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also give Prophet my vote, goods guys. Harley will be able to help you out.

Top Bottom