The Day of the Professional Trucker is almost over.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you own a truck right now life couldn't be better . Dry van loads of the coast to Edm or Cgy 5-6000 g . I have loads all over North America right now and can't find trucks let alone negotiate a rate . When you do get a truck it's 25-45 % more than it was 3 weeks ago . Supply chain is in a world of hurt right now .

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume many of todays truck drivers are temporary and most probably recently completed their license training. The TransCanada Hwy to and around Revy is a show case for these driver to display there new skills. A case in point BC transportation had to move the "Parking Spot" on the Kicking Horse pass descent to Field, Because many of these Ramrodder's took it upon them selves to Park there rigs in a compacted format head first into a solid mass of granite. It seems to me there may have been a side bet or a contest to see who could compact the truck in trailer into the shortest length. The unfortunate consequence of this "parking competition" is that many of us ended up waiting for hours while the "Clean Up" took place. I drove from Okotoks to Victoria on the on February 1st and a Trans X team decided to park their westbound truck in the eastbound lane in a severe jack knife position just before Three Valley Gap. It took the rescuers two hours to get to the drivers as the trailer blocked the exit on the drivers side and the mountain blocked the passengers side. The drivers were unhurt, but two ambulance waited the full two hours for the clowns to be extracted. I have a suggestion for Tran X Logistics, install sun roofs in your trucks so your drivers can be exit the truck faster.

To get to the reason for my rant, I am all for protest, but if some Ding Dongs in a truck come to my neighborhood and expects to blow their horn constantly day after day. Their horn wont work very long, due to the Axe size hole in your radiator.
Can you do it with 140,000lbs behind your head?

Lots of criticism from public over the years regarding truckers, and yes there are many bad ones, but perhaps these critic's should do it for a couple years before commenting.

Usually the ones who brage about how good they are, are the worst ones out there

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what truck prices will do when the chips start coming in, truck are built

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never bumped a dock, hardly pulled a strait trailer so every driving job is a learning curve.

Teaching a log hauler to haul oilfield tank....;)
Most of the meat heads I seen in Toronto cannot do that with a 48 ft trailer let alone a set of trains.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never bumped a dock, hardly pulled a strait trailer so every driving job is a learning curve.

Teaching a log hauler to haul oilfield tank....;)

Oversized, flatbed, dump trailer, reefer….. to me they are just trailers. I only drove for a couple of years, but once I got used to what I was dragging behind me, it was just another load to deliver.
I guess it helped I grew up on a farm, and had a family of truck drivers to learn from and grew up in the passenger seat.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a long time farmer it was a cool display of driving skills by the trucker. He definitely put the truck rad in the dust by doing it. Nothing a quick clean with an air gun won’t fix but not something you would do all the time. We try and keep the front of the trucks out of the dust if possible.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with these long haul driver's is that they're often first generation Canadian driver's.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with these long haul driver's is that they're often first generation Canadian driver's.

Nobody else will do it because it's slave labour, from what I've read, the wait time is ridiculous. They're being taken advantage of because they are unaware of their rights.

A reporter should hang with a long haul driver for a week. Figure out the real wage per hr. And all the BS with log books.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
As a long time farmer it was a cool display of driving skills by the trucker. He definitely put the truck rad in the dust by doing it. Nothing a quick clean with an air gun won’t fix but not something you would do all the time. We try and keep the front of the trucks out of the dust if possible.
I was thinking the same thing... keep that rad clean of all the dirt/grain dusts

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I am getting fuel/gas, there is a tanker filling up the underground/above ground tanks. Many times I have sat and watched the drivers get in and out of those tight situations. It is absolutely amazing what they do. I have even been known to go up to the driver tell him how amazed I am and how good a job they have done.

We have to remember, that a lot of the gas stations where designed/built when a small local truck came to fill up the tanks. These days, it is a B train or a very long trailer trying to squeeze into these tight places.

Good truckers are awesome and my hats is off to them.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve ridden on logging roads all over western Canada and it never ceases to amaze me that guys go up and down those narrow, windy so called roads with a huge load of logs or the heavy equipment needed to do the logging. My hat is off to those guys. Not only do the have great skill to do it, the must have a huge set of balls as well.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Sometimes, when I am getting fuel/gas, there is a tanker filling up the underground/above ground tanks. Many times I have sat and watched the drivers get in and out of those tight situations. It is absolutely amazing what they do. I have even been known to go up to the driver tell him how amazed I am and how good a job they have done.

We have to remember, that a lot of the gas stations where designed/built when a small local truck came to fill up the tanks. These days, it is a B train or a very long trailer trying to squeeze into these tight places.

Good truckers are awesome and my hats is off to them.
You probably made his week Doug. My Cousin was a lifetime trucker. He was hauling fuel from Edmonton to downtown Vancouver with B Trains unloading at service stations. He said people would flip him off and yell at him, even had one guy drive over his hose while unloading. Not a clue how the world works or where the fuel they do desperately needed comes from.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is that a problem? Very certain every single person's family without a status card was a first generation Canadian at some point.

The problem lies with lack of knowledge or skills that can only be gained by experience not what country you came from. There is no shortage of multi generation Canadians that have hard enough time keeping 4 wheels on the road.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is that a problem? Very certain every single person's family without a status card was a first generation Canadian at some point.

The problem lies with lack of knowledge or skills that can only be gained by experience not what country you came from. There is no shortage of multi generation Canadians that have hard enough time keeping 4 wheels on the road.
Did their Grandfathers and Fathers take them out on a snow covered, icy back road when they where a young kid and teach them how to drive? Sure my Great Grandfather had to learn, but there was no paved roads and vehicles didn't travel fast either... so a different time all together.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably made his week Doug. My Cousin was a lifetime trucker. He was hauling fuel from Edmonton to downtown Vancouver with B Trains unloading at service stations. He said people would flip him off and yell at him, even had one guy drive over his hose while unloading. Not a clue how the world works or where the fuel they do desperately needed comes from.
There definitely are some phenomenal truck driver's! I like to think I'm pretty decent at backing up the 26ft sled trailer until I have to do it in front of my trucker Buddy.

Top Bottom