If I am the management of the Oilers....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is just something a little fun I thought of today, and figured I would post on here. Its a little "what I would do if I was the Oilers GM" fantasy talk.

I am going to post what I would do right now, to make this team better for the next 2-3 years. Idealy being a cup contendor in 3 years. You don't have to be an Oilers fan to also describe what you would do for your team, be it the Flames, Canucks, whoever...tell us what you would do for your team...lets hear it?!?

First off, I am doing anything I can to get Getzlaf from the Ducks. A center with size who can score. The Oilers have no one who currently could compare to him and he is still young. He is going to cost a lot to get. I would say the Oilers first round pick which is going to be in the top 5. Would I do it? Yes, to make the team better now, not 3-4 years down the road and there are no quality UFA's for 2012.

I need a big left winger to play with Nuge and Eberle. What about Hall you ask...still not a fan of that combo. How about Semin...would 3 years at 5.5M a year do it? Okay lets pretend it does.

Hemsky....hmmm...If he is willing to sign for 2 years at a discount to stay in Edmonton...2 @2.75M, I'd take it, even though I am not excited about his health or level of play. I still think he is a great player. He is going to try FreeAgency I am sure. But this is a fantasy remember.

Top Lines are now:

Semin/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Getzlaf/Hemsky

Bottom might look like:

Jones(Smyth)/Horcoff/Hartikainen
Hamilton/Belanger/Eager

I am still open to getting someone like Jochen Hecht as a 4th liner and give Hamilton or whichever other prospect another year to mature. Gagner gets traded for a 2nd round pick.

Not so bad...the D is another story.

Forget about a Weber or Suter...it would be nice, but fantasy or not, we need to be realistic. Sign UFA Michal Rozsival, he provides a little offence. Take a hard look at John-Michael Liles, if he is a steal, 1 year at $3M. Then go for Dennis Wideman for 3 years/$3.0M per. Edmontons depth on D is good, just not good for the next 1-2 years.

Whitney has a no trade clause but accepts a trade for a prospect D.

You can now go to any combo of the D and have depth. Bring up Gernat or Maricin or play Potter on the bottom pairing. Sutton I like, but he can't seem to keep out of the bad books.

Pairings could look like:

Liles - Wideman
Gilbert - Smid
Rozsival - Gernat/Potter

In goal....Habi has another year. Dub isn't the starter yet and I have my doubts he ever will be. Habi gets traded for a prospect for another bad contract.(Rob Scuderi) to make up for dumping Penner on LA> :)

Sign UFA G - Dan Ellis and Dub still plays backup.

Tom Renney is let go. I like Renney but he isn't mean enough. Demand more from your players - lets say Barry Trotz is fired when Nashville doesn't make the playoffs this year. Welcome aboard Barry.

Yeah I am bored and waiting for the weekend!

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good choices, rather then Getzlaf though I would seek out Nash.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good choices, rather then Getzlaf though I would seek out Nash.

I thought about Nash, but at something stupid like $7.5 per year for the next umpteen years, its not a wise choice. Plus he is a winger.

I also can't stand contracts that are over 5 years. There is no incentive for the players to play, just collect the money and go. Players under 25 should only be able to sign 3 year contracts, 26 and older, up to 5 years, 35 and older, no more than 2 years.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was involved with the management of the Oilers I would just be trying to keep the fans from revolting, even though right now the team is just that!!! If you look closer there are some good signs, the power play numbers both on offense and defense are much better this year. The goals for and against are better and our farm team is doing fine in the Ahl. The team has been tied 13/14? times going into the third period and has yet to win one, this should improve with experience. After suffering through the last few weeks of futility another high draft pick is about the best thing to hope for. Also be nice when some of the bad contracts end!!!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, you think you can get Getzlaf and still keep RNH, Hall and Eberle? Really.

Semin? You did say you wanted to be a contender.

You think you can win anything with that defence?

Last thing, ever hear of a little thing called the salary cap?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more top 3 draft pick onthe way , ALL on entry level contracts. 4 of the best defensemen in the world juinor touney are oiler picks.When you get rid of Habby,horcoff,smyth,hemsky, cap space is not an issue. By then your up & coming D are on elc too.

The only stumbling block is tamby`s ability to add depth players that are good enough and cheap enough.We will have a new coach by the time we are ready to make a new run....
Any one who can not see the talent of Ebbs ,Hall and Hopkins is cluless anyhow.........Ebbs and Hopkins are playing with crappy players on a 28th place team and still near the top in point production !!! Hopkins is a Rookie !!!!
Now add Yakapof or Grigorenko and the four Rookie D men plus gilbert and smid and the future looks bright. Add a first round pick for Hemky as well...........
Who have the Canucks got in there system coming up..................??????????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oxymoron: a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms. For example: today's oilers skills competition****

Though two are injured , are you saying Eberle,hall, RNH have no skill..................LOL Only from a Canuck fan..........lol Is it not time for walmart to start sellling the folding canuck chairs again, what a riot................

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with your coaching change. We had, in my opinion, the best coach for this young team and we let him go; the mighty Quinn! Another choice would be Ted Nolan; however Muckler has put a never coach in the NHL again tag on him.

The Hemsky project is over. If his work ethic was as good as his talent he would be another Gretsky;maybe. Floats most of the time!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, you think you can get Getzlaf and still keep RNH, Hall and Eberle? Really.

Semin? You did say you wanted to be a contender.

You think you can win anything with that defence?

Last thing, ever hear of a little thing called the salary cap?

Win anything with that defence? Well seeing how they are winning games now with AHL defence anything is an upgrade.

Semin might need a change of scenary. Who knows. He is still capable of scoring 40. No one in their system is a Semin type player.

And lastly...why don't you go and actually figure out the numbers then. I briefly looked at cap hits and current salaries to come up with what I did. No I didn't figure it out to the exact dollar. Could I be over cap? Sure, is it likely they will take even one of the players I mentioned, no...so whats wrong with a little fun. Oh, your a Nucks fan? Makes more sense now.

I am fine with them getting the first overall pick. I wouldn't be happy if they do end up with the first overall pick and take Yakapof. He is skilled for sure, but they need players with size, not another Gagner.

WDP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getzlaf for anyone except RNH, anyone else I do that deal in a heart beat as long as he anti's up for at least 3 years. Yes that includes "Stone Hands Hall" What was that debate, Taylor or Tyler ? Hmmmmmm

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getzlaf for anyone except RNH, anyone else I do that deal in a heart beat as long as he anti's up for at least 3 years. Yes that includes "Stone Hands Hall" What was that debate, Taylor or Tyler ? Hmmmmmm
Sorry Bill gotta diss-agree about Hall, he should be the captain of this team once we get rid of the Horcoff contract. Right now he is about the only guy playing with some heart and desire. He has been a winner every where he has played, just need to surround him with some of the same type of guys Seguin plays with.I wish Renney would play him with Eager and Jones, would be sweet to get a monster like Getzlaf though.

Last edited:

WDP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getzlaf for Hall Straight up. Have to make that deal. I agree, HORSE up the middle, can score, skate, has won everything on every team he's been on. Hall is fast but can't seem to finish, the style he's playing will have him missing 1/4 of the year to injury minimum. Reminds me alot of Forsberg, although Forsberg could finish. BTW when is it going to snow so we can have a Sturgeon Valley Riders Run!?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Johan Franzen, Darren Helm, Jiri Hudler; for Jordan Eberle, Ryan Jones would be a sweet trade.:beer:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i am the oilers , Ebbs stays here till we win a few cups.....He is in the top ten in scoring on a crappy team with NO puck moving defencemen,in his second year !!!!! There is about 24 +/- players to get rid of before Ebbs.....lol
He will be a NHL top 5 player,IF he is not allready............

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agree rzrgade - Eberle isn't even playing and is still in the top 15 points leaders in the league.

I would say there are only two untouchables Eberle and RNH. Hall...I still think his reckless style of play is going to limit him due to injury down the road.

Top Bottom