I love Alberta

WhiteDragon

Reaction score
Hello All,
I purchased a NEW motorcycle from a dealership, and went through the OOP inspection process where I purchased the motorcycle. The NEW motorcycle failed the inspection, and I had to pay for repairs to be made. (I have this in writing.)
What options do I have now? Can I go after the dealership for selling me a unsafe vehicle? Is the standard too rigourous?
In addition, the motorcycle has never run (I was unable to get it running) since I purchased it. They now have had the motorcycle for 3 weeks, and it is still not running. What now?
I am not going to mention the name of the dealership except to say that it is in Alberta.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you live in AB and bought it here, why are you even getting an out of province done? What did it fail on? Was it brand new or new to you new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or was it a custom built bike? I've seen a lot of those fail from being assembled improperly and unsafely.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense what so ever...

You purchased a NEW bike in AB, to turn around and have them do an OOP inspection on it, to have them fail it and charge you for the repair?

A new bike would have a PDI done on it. It would not have been given to you until the PDI was reviewed with you and you would have signed off on it.

suzuki ryder is right, sounds like some sort of custom job.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the question is what repairs were needed? There are different requirements for different provinces. I once bought a new pickup, had less than 300 km's on it, bone stock, went through an RCMP roadside check, got a ticket for illegal driving lights and had to remove the factory lights. I went to the dealership to complain, it fell on deaf ears, there response, we have sold hundreds like that, never had a problem. I went to see the RCMP the next day for clarification, they pulled out he books and showed me where they were correct. They also noted that every vehicle sold does not comply to all provincial laws.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a new street legal motorcycle should come with a NVIS paper, no inspection should be required. I agree, we are missing some crucial information here. some european manufactured dual sport bikes like Aprilla are sold at dealerships as street legal, but cannot pass inspection. the VIN gets flagged and it will never be able to be registered as an on highway vehicle in Alberta.

WhiteDragon

Reaction score
Yes, there was a NIVIS-that got voided at the Alberta registry, so I had to do an OOP on it. Supposedly, a brand NEW motorcycle should pass this inspection-NEW in that it was never used at all-but it failed, and I had to pay for repairs. The PDI was supposedly done, but apparently not done right.
The motorcycle has 2 km on it-I could not get it running, so I (obviously) never put any mileage on it. This is a stock Yamaha motorcycle, so should be able to be registered in Alberta.
It is currently at the dealership where I bought it, and I am tempted to tell the dealership to keep the motorcycle. That is where it stands now.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This still doesn't make sense.

How and why would a registry void a NVIS? A registry is not a governing body who can simply void a NVIS unless there are other circumstances, like the vehicle was actually registered in another province and then in turn brought to AB and sold here. That is the only reason an inspection would ever be required.

I just went back and looked at some of my NVIS from some of my purchases, did the dealer sign the NVIS? If so, I would be looking into what legal repercutions the dealership could be held accountable for if in fact that vehicle is not new.

If your bill of sale says "New" that means it has never been sold, registered, titled, anywhere and there is no reason for them to not register your bike.

What model of bike is this?

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres no reason for that motorcycle to not run. I was a Yamaha service tech for over 3 years and those bikes are ran at factory briefly. All it would need is fuel and 12 volts.

Like take the bounce said, the registry would have no reason to decline a NVIS since it would never have been registered in another country/province and as for failing, Yamaha motorcycles only come with the bars off and the front wheel off for shipping.

Who did the oop inspection? The dealership you bought it from? If so, they're really giving it to you hard.. I'd bring a lawyer in to it.. Or better yet, trouble shooter on the news.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somethings fawky here. I can only think of three reasons why a NVIS could be voided: the dealer didn't sign it, the bike was previously registered somewhere else, or the serial # is invalid. Any of these points to a crooked dealer. I've heard some pretty crazy stories. Dealers forging NVIS to sell locked units, corporate demo models, or race bikes that were never supposed to be sold. I would ask the registry specifically why it was voided, physically check the serial numbers on the frame and the engine and make sure they match the NVIS, and start asking your dealer some hard questions. As far as I'm aware, if a dealer sells you a motorcycle that doesn't run or doesn't have the necessary equipment to pass inspection, then they have violated the terms of your sales contract and the deal is void. Get your money back and buy a bike from someplace that will treat you better.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like a lot of info missing, intentionally? or is someone just fishing. seems there is way more to the story, until then it is classed as BS

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What kind of bike???
Why did it not pass inspection?
Not much info in this thread...

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After some thinking I believe I came up with the answer: You bought a WR450 thinking that because it had a headlight and tail light you could ride it on the street. You tried to plate it but the registry told you the NVIS was invalid as a street legal motorcycle and that you had to do an oop equivelant inspection in order to determine if it has the necessary equipment to be registered for the street, which of course it failed, and this so called repair the dealership is charging you for is actually the installation of a dual-sport kit needed to turn your dirt bike into something legal for the street. Pretty close?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After some thinking I believe I came up with the answer: You bought a WR450 thinking that because it had a headlight and tail light you could ride it on the street. You tried to plate it but the registry told you the NVIS was invalid as a street legal motorcycle and that you had to do an oop equivelant inspection in order to determine if it has the necessary equipment to be registered for the street, which of course it failed, and this so called repair the dealership is charging you for is actually the installation of a dual-sport kit needed to turn your dirt bike into something legal for the street. Pretty close?

I thought of that too, but it made too much sense and it is much to easy to explain.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know but he is saying the thing doesn't even run???

Top Bottom