I have an 02 Polaris RMK 800, what mods are good without sacrificing relyablity?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
My 02 800/156 VE worked well. I just added a can, air kit & external drivers. also added a pyro & h20 gauge & ran tighter jetting.

BRA'A'AP

Reaction score
yea, i just got back from golden b.c. and the sled worked awsome. i went to quarts creek on the saturday and then Gorman Creek on sunday. i was racing people on the lake and to my surprise i did not get beat! the sled is absolutely amazing and i had a crowd of doo riders all around me to ask me what i did to make it so fast and how come it sounded good. they said they never seen a sled that close to stalk that could go that fast nor that sounded that good. I'm pretty dang happy with it... heres some picture of us at Quarts... my dad drives the 900 hundred polaris. he's not the best at timing when it comes to taking pictures so he didn't get too many of me but when i stopped to take pictures of him i got some pretty good air shots!

SleddingDec1-2003.jpg

SleddingDec1-2002.jpg

SleddingDec1-2001.jpg

SleddingDec1-2007.jpg

SleddingDec1-2008.jpg

SleddingDec1-2005.jpg

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright thanks, haha your saying a lot for a skidoo ryder, consittering i never see any of them where i go... usually behind me somewhere or pussying out of the chute i just climbed, i personally like polaris and skidoo. it doesn't always matter about the machine... the rider also makes a hell of a difference. i rolled my polaris over 60 yards down a hill... only damage was bent handle bars... the sled tumbled end over end. it was fine and started frist pull... if you roll a ski-doo the frickin thing self distructs and theres pieces of it everywhere... then after you've finished collecting all your pieces when you go back to try and start it, it take like 20 pulls and then floods.. so then you have to sit there and wait while all the other guys driving polaris do $hit hooks around you !!

POLARIS RMK 800 4 LIFE !

WHO'S WITH ME! hahahahaha

LOL rolled my ol 95 summit down the hill 9 times, rested on a tree with about a 10 inch trunk :eek: hopped on it, got it to the bottom, pulled the plugs pulled it over twice, put them back in pulled it once and drove away :d

DRFRANCK

Reaction score
Hey man...

I have a 2002 800 151" myself...was wondering the same thing...what would be the best upgrades....but in my case i have a very reliable engine...it's the flotation / traction / handling mods i'm after.

From my experience on the machine it is very nose heavy and has a tendency to plow in front...eventualy with all this drag if you dont turn around it will trench very easily.

Any of you boys/girls have made it longer or went with larger skis or anything else....tell me more about the sway bar stuff if you have removed it.What about the handling after ?

Thanks a lot !

Attachments

• img_3906.jpg
    img_3906.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 152
  • img_3952.jpg
    img_3952.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 177

deerboy

Reaction score
Raise handlebars 6", you will need new throttle cable & brake line, V force reeds, SLP twins & put a 16" x 159" track in. You'll be happy

DRFRANCK

Reaction score
I heard the 16" wide made it les agile because of the low center of gravity on that machine...especially harder to sidehil after mod....wouldn't for a 162 x 15 x 2.25 instead with an extension....would probably get the same floatation.

Since i start from scratch ?

I still appreciate the comment though.....thanks for and any tips...especially from those who speak from experience modding their edge RMK's.

You are all a great deal of help !

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firstly you need a pipe. I havn't done anything with the track on mine as of yet except adjusting the springs in the rear to keep the front end down. As I had the opposite problem as you are having, I could not keep my ski's on the ground. I plan on doing the track this summer. If your front end is "plowing" then you can adjust the settings on the rear springs to lift up your front end more when your WOT. A cheap mod for this sled is the SLP Big Horn air kit ($45) It lets your sled breath ALOT better by removing your guts out of your stock airbox and the piece of foam ontop of your airbox (toss that in the garbage) You will have to re-jet afterwards and can be installed in 30mins or less. I would recomend running a bead of cylicone along the seam of your airbox when you do this as snow can get in in through the smallest holes. when you look through your airbox you should not be able to see any light coming through any cracks, ensure this is a sealed unit. How many miles are on your sled? I would HIGHLY recomend throwing a set of wide "tough boy" bearings on your crank BEFORE it hits 3000 miles. I learned the hard way. When you have your engine apart you might as well toss in some new reeds while your at the stock reeds are garbage and are more than likely cracked. As for the sway bar eliminating this allows your ski's to work independantly so when one ski is up the other can be down and not working against each other. I just cut mine off this afternoon, I have not tried it out yet but I already know i will like it.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had an 03 800 144. loved it. easy to thow around. had reeds and a mbrp can. reeds helped alot. gear it down one or two teeth. had same prob with the crank bearings. its a must do sooner or later. good sled and climbed really well.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man...

I have a 2002 800 151" myself...was wondering the same thing...what would be the best upgrades....but in my case i have a very reliable engine...it's the flotation / traction / handling mods i'm after.

From my experience on the machine it is very nose heavy and has a tendency to plow in front...eventualy with all this drag if you dont turn around it will trench very easily.

Any of you boys/girls have made it longer or went with larger skis or anything else....tell me more about the sway bar stuff if you have removed it.What about the handling after ?

Thanks a lot !

the way I understand it is you need to adjust your front straps sounds like they are too tight
try loosening them so your track sits flat
could be an easy fix

DRFRANCK

Reaction score
Tried all three setups for the straps...

It's just a heavy front end i guess,

The simmons will helps lots from what i hear.

I'll most likely end up modding the thing all the way.

Here is what i would have in mind:

162" carbon rails with a mountain tamer and two inner 9" wheels wrapped in a 162x15x2.5 and high rise seat in the back.

Extended chaincase + drivers + required gearing

In the front...

10" simmons flexis and a long travel kit + maybe a barkbuster.

When the mechanical part of things start to whow signs of use...i'll do all recommended upgrades.

Anything wrong with this other than the price ?

Thanks again

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like you know what you want. E-Zmoke has some excellent ideas to try for now, I agree you need to do the bearings before too long and put a can and pipe on. my "experts" haven't mentioned the rear springs yet but I'm still new at this I'll ask and get back to you
good luck and have fun

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see from your pics the problem is (your under the sled)

tom29

Reaction score
Tried all three setups for the straps...

It's just a heavy front end i guess,

The simmons will helps lots from what i hear.

I'll most likely end up modding the thing all the way.

Here is what i would have in mind:

162" carbon rails with a mountain tamer and two inner 9" wheels wrapped in a 162x15x2.5 and high rise seat in the back.

Extended chaincase + drivers + required gearing

In the front...

10" simmons flexis and a long travel kit + maybe a barkbuster.

When the mechanical part of things start to whow signs of use...i'll do all recommended upgrades.

Anything wrong with this other than the price ?

Thanks again

Go with Slp powder pros. the simmons steer good but dont carv as nice i find and tend to dart onto other paths, powder pros are lighter and work better pow with the deep single rudder.

to lighten front end more, look at some fabcraft trailing arms and aluminum radius rods,( i think the 02 is steel and the 04+ eascape are alumnium????)
a light weight hood would help too and not crazy expensive

i would go for 8" wheels personally, sure the 9's look cool but i hear 8's work better. for me 9's are over kill

Top Bottom