01 RMK 800 rebuild help needed!

Sekeith

Reaction score
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hey Guys,

Last weekend my sled died after apprx 2 hrs of riding. Tried to pull the start cable and it was frozen. I've had a few issues since buying it so I'm hoping to get her running reliably for future riding.

History/Relevant Info:

- 2001 Polaris RMK 800 151" Non VES motor (no idea if it has ACCS).
- Has apprx 4000 km? miles? the drive key was broken when I bought it so no idea how long it was broken for.
- Always ran rich, like burning my eyes and fuel dumping out of the exhaust rich.
- Pretty much stock except for the slp can and fox shocks.
- Put in new plugs less than a month ago and new voltage regulator.
- Primary clutch fell off a month ago (bolt spun out and disappeared), had it checked and put back on.
- Carbs were cleaned and checked. The choke cable and plungers seems to be fine, maybe bad needle/seat (it's an entire float assembly so stupid expensive to replace if not needed).
- Carbs were jetted to 10,000 ft and I run at 2500 ft (oops) so that didn't cause the rich issue.
- Opened up fuel pump and only found a tiny fold in one of the plastic diaphragms. Didn't think that would cause fuel to leak through but might.
- Run Regular grade fuel and AMSOIL interceptor 2 stroke oil

I tore into the motor today and found some pretty serious pitting on the head and piston head on the PTO side. The jug looks fine but it seemed really dirty (prob carbon from misfiring/incomplete burn?) and both pistons/cylinders were oiled up nicely. The crank still won't turn by hand so I assume the crank bearing must have gone bad, will pull the motor and split the case shortly.

My questions for ya'll is:

- Any idea where I could get a reasonably priced crank for my sled? (Live in Edmonton, AB)
- Any thoughts on the rich issue? (or a fuel pump rebuild kit?)
- I assume I'll have to replace the head and piston because of the pitting on PTO side, thoughts on the brown burnt stuff on MAG side piston?
- Prob should have my clutch balanced for good measure, but where?
- Where would I find an ACCS if I had one?

Here are the pictures I have so far.

Thanks in advance

[/FONT] 20150216_151021_zpsa34de8be.jpg 20150216_150011_zps65796eab.jpg 20150216_145933_zps0eff85a2.jpg [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TBH and this is just me, cut your losses and find a newer sled. You will have a hard time recouping your losses and the machine only depreciate in value the longer you hold onto it. Condition of crank could be negligible, probably needs new wp bearings and seals, jugs, pistons, gasket kit, how are intake boots? You are looking at about $1000min, without the crank.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI that "pitting" on the head and piston is from some kind of debris (likely from the crank) bouncing around in there. I think you are in for a costly rebuild, you are likely looking at $600 or more for new pistons and head, assuming the cylinders are in good shape, plus that crank is likely $1000-1500 assuming a bearing hasn't spun requiring either new cases or machining to the existing ones. That Mag side cylinder has also been running ridiculously rich to have washed all the carbon off like that.

I personally think you are better off to find a used motor to put in, that rebuild isn't likely to be cheap, especially if you have to pay someone to do it for you. Unfortunately this is the reason most sleds live a short life, because its often cheaper to replace with a newer machine than fix the one you have.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the input. I guess once I pull the motor I'll see about replacing it with a newer one. The reason I decided to rebuild mine was because I wasn't able to find a motor for sale. I figured the rebuild would cost me ~ $700 but I'm not planning on spending much more than that.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through this two years ago. My mag side crank bearings went, it took out the crank seal, which then led to a melted piston.
Between the crank, aling boring the cases, honing cylinders, and new pistons I had $1500 in the motor alone. I sold the sled for $1800 the next year

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for sure will never ever buy a cv teck engine again. had 3 of them blow up within a few rides due to not being assembled correctly at CV teck.
Take a look here, this is what a rebuilt motor will cost you, assuming they give you full credit for your core, flipping back and forth pages should show you what individual parts cost. These guys are out of Saskatchewan.

http://catalogs.recreationsupply.co/snow-2015/#295/z

But looks like your in the $2k plus range.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I was able to find a local dealership who supplies rebuilt cranks for my sled done by CV tech (I think). They wanted $575 if I gave them my old crank for a core charge. Unfortunately my crank is snapped in half :( which they said is the only case where they wouldn't accept the crank for a core charge.

I'm debating between buying a rebuilt crank, new pistons, head and gaskets (which I got quoted at $1200.00) and keeping this sled or buying the bare minimum to get her running and selling it for very little and let the new owners know it'll need a full rebuild. The only reason I want to get it running is b/c in the past I've found it easier to sell something the runs rather than an expensive paperweight.

20150219_151552_zpsb372389d.jpg

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell parts and start over imo.

Sekeith

Reaction score
Aside from this fiasco, the only thing I've put money into is buying a new belt and plugs. So take the $3200.00 I originally paid plus the $1200.00 for the rebuild (not including my time and beers) and I'll hopefully only lose out on the rebuild monies. I'm hoping to get her purring like a kitten and sell it for a loss so that the next owner won't have as bad of a time as I did. Even though I'm confident I could get it running properly there are too many bad memories now associated with this sled. I'd like to take whatever I get from selling this sled and put in a few $$$$ more and get something a lot newer and more reliable.

Last edited:

Sekeith

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I picked up a rebuilt crank, wossner pistons, gasket kit and had the head cleaned up for $900.00. The motor is all back together and she seems to run great but I haven't been able to take it for any light riding due to the lack of snow around Edmonton. I figure I'll post it for sale and if I take a loss of $1000-$1500 then I'm still better off rather then constantly worrying when this sled will break again. Then it'll be time to buy something a lot newer and way more reliable :)

Top Bottom