I hate car dealerships

mxracer14

Reaction score
Problem Dave is you're smarter than you're suppose to be ...................They don't have mechanics that actually fix chit these days . If they can't plug it in and get a code ..............No Fault found Sir!

This is exactly why I left mechanicing at High Country Chev a few years back. There is no 'fixing' anymore. If the computer dont tell them whats wrong they are clueless. And if the customer start pressuring them then they just start replacing parts hoping that the porblem disappears. Its a conmplete joke in them shops now.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I left mechanicing at High Country Chev a few years back. There is no 'fixing' anymore. If the computer dont tell them whats wrong they are clueless. And if the customer start pressuring them then they just start replacing parts hoping that the porblem disappears. Its a conmplete joke in them shops now.

Exactly. If you want real trouble shooting get a HD tech to do it. My son spent his first 5 years in the trade in a high volume truck shop. He said the parts were wayyyyy too expensive to just start changing them out till the problem went away. He actually had to use his brain! Now that he's working on coal trucks though......not so much. :rolleyes:

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big truck shops are no better trust me . Actually I think they are worse . We have been the manufactures R & D for the new emmisions since 08 . Most owner operaters would have been broke long time ago we just have the luxury to be able to subsidize turbos and EGR's etc on company trucks .

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 dodge,the truck came without a under hood light.The great engineers at Dodge decided in 2012 that the 1/2 tons needed one so out of the graces of there huge hearts they decided to put them in the 2011's. Anyway I took my truck in for service and and let them know that the light was out.When I picked it up i found .75 hours on the bill to put in a new light. Needless to say I snapped my crayons and lost it.They immediately discarded the charge and I will never return to Leduc Dodge. Car salesmen,dealerships,service centres cannot be trusted they would lie to there own mother to make a buck.:twocents:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A certain truck accessory shop that I bought my canopy from tried to bill me .75 to clip in a new ABS grill cover (had a bird go through the stock grill). Called them on it and that cheesy charge went away awfully quick. Their shop rate was not cheap either!

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the service writers think we the customers are dumb. I hate explaining crap to them, they have no idea and pretend they do.

As for the service departments....wife's Honda van had a coolant leak from day one, went in 11 times before they fixed it. In the end the leak was exactly where my brother and I first told them.

I feel your pain!

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Nissan I will just about guarantee the coolant is coming out of the rad cap.....my old titan has a mystery leak for ever. I had multiple people look and no one ever found the leak until one day I noticed a spray mark across the top of the engine in the dust.....its almost like they over pressure sometimes when you start them cold and let them idle and the leak out just enough to piss a guy off.....I even tried changing rad caps with no luck....just like you kept getting it topped up with oil changes.

X2 but a new cap worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't show up on a code when they plug it in the problem to them doesn't exist.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty lucky with my GM dealer's service department. I'm good friends with the tower operator and the shop foreman and whenever I book anything in, I let them know EXACTLY why it's there and what's going on with it. I completely understand what everyone else goes through, because the communication is only as good as the service writer makes it, and most dealers seem to go through them like they change socks.

cobraclone

Reaction score
I took my 03 superduty into Zender ford for an oil leak. The truck was still within the 160000km powertrain warranty. I suspected a main seal so i left it with them and recieved a call later in the afternoon saying the truck was ready. I was suprised to hear from them so quick and asked what was fixed. The service advisor says it was not a main seal but a clamp had come loose and was causing the leak. I thought bonus and said i would down to get the truck. She then explained that it would not be covered under warranty, i thought this was odd and asked why? She said your truck is chipped and there for the warranty is void. I just bought this truck and it was deffinatly not chipped. I went to pick up the truck and get the "our tech says its chipped" speech. I had them bring the tech out and asked him if the truck is chipped. He replied "Dont know, need to drive it" so we go for a test drive and he says no way is this truck chipped. Get back to the dealership and tell the advisor this and she gets the service manager out. He then explains that the truck is not chipped but it was before. I asked to see some sort of paperwork or diagnostic or something to support this, they had nothing. With all 3 of them there i said your telling me the truck is chipped, your telling me its not, and your telling me its not now but it was but have nothing to back that up with?? They all stood there silent, i said sounds like warranty to me, grabbed my keys and left.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Are service writers really this dumb?

Kipp Scott GM: my 2010 GM 1/2 ton. Problem: I have a suspicion that the 5.3 is a bit noisier than it needs to be on cold start-ups. (my 06 was the same and never changed in 270,000km...but) I figure I better at least get it on paper before the warranty goes out that I think it's rattly. Anyways, I drop it off the night before, get rides both ways, then a ride to work the next day. I get a call from the service writer that she brought the truck in, then the tech couldn't find a noise. WHAAAA? I say, "so I go through the trouble of telling you EXACTLY what it's doing, THEN I get rides all over the country so I can drop it off and you can have it cold. THEN you fire it up first thing and bring it inside for the tech to work on it?"
She now realizes she's been an idiot, so asks, "can you leave it over night tonight?"
Yes...I lost my $h!t. I get a ride down, service manager involved, etc ,etc. In the end, nothing done, engine is fine according to them.

Gord Scott Nissan: wife's 2011 Murano. Problem: been losing coolant and you can smell antifreeze since vehicle was new. Level in overflow bottle drops a couple inches every oil change. Last time I dropped it off (last summer) was the THIRD time in for this issue. And the THIRD time they said they checked it and can't find a problem. I get the runarround story about how the level in the bottle goes up and down with temperature, they pressured it up and can't find anything, bla, bla, bla. I point out the pink felt-pen line THEY drew on the hot-full level and how it now (hot) is 2" below that line. Anyways...get service manager involved, and he seems pretty understanding and sympathetic, but nothing done. Drop it off today for same issue...booked in 3 weeks ago...strong smell of AF, and level is down again. Service writer "prepares me" for the news that "they will check it, but if they find anything you will have to re-book it in".......
I ask her if she bothered to look up the 3 previous work orders...? I get my ride to work. This afternoon, I will be losing my $h!t....

They won't find the problem but they will find "other" stuff they recommend you change mostly all labour charge and low part charge ball joints, tie rod ends, power steering flush, muffler bearings.

My wifes old car was going off warranty had peace of mind inspection they could find anything few weeks later developed a shimmy when braking thought might be a warped rotor and ABS being new at the time I didn't want to screw with it took it to midas they some heat scoring on rotor machined it down and some new "lifetime" pads about $100 for all then hand my wife an estimate for ball joints tie rod ends and 1 wheel bearing $1200 estimate.... Bad Edmonton streets, big pot holes, you heard on the news...blah blah blah I blow an ass gasket loose it ask him to write the mechanics name and journeyman # cause it was going back to the dealership and ram it down their throats (was an empty threat cause I know they were trying to upsell). Then the manager said their tolerances maybe be different then ours on when to change I asked if they need to be changed he said "we recommend they be changed" I said again "do they need to be changed?" he said " we recommend you change them" I said " I recommend you play in traffic now does that mean you need to?" he said "all I can say is that we recommend you change them" ....he would never say they needed to be changed....fast forward 4 years 280,000 KM and many brake changes by me ABS light comes on car I cannot clear it comes back on take back to same Midas same manger still there book under my name instead of wifes they check car wheel sensor they change it out. After paying bills and getting keys ask how ball joints and such were he said " all good everything was tight and dry....you must have replaced them recently?"..I said nope still the same ones you recommend I change 300,000Km ago and walked out

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my 03 superduty into Zender ford for an oil leak. The truck was still within the 160000km powertrain warranty. I suspected a main seal so i left it with them and recieved a call later in the afternoon saying the truck was ready. I was suprised to hear from them so quick and asked what was fixed. The service advisor says it was not a main seal but a clamp had come loose and was causing the leak. I thought bonus and said i would down to get the truck. She then explained that it would not be covered under warranty, i thought this was odd and asked why? She said your truck is chipped and there for the warranty is void. I just bought this truck and it was deffinatly not chipped. I went to pick up the truck and get the "our tech says its chipped" speech. I had them bring the tech out and asked him if the truck is chipped. He replied "Dont know, need to drive it" so we go for a test drive and he says no way is this truck chipped. Get back to the dealership and tell the advisor this and she gets the service manager out. He then explains that the truck is not chipped but it was before. I asked to see some sort of paperwork or diagnostic or something to support this, they had nothing. With all 3 of them there i said your telling me the truck is chipped, your telling me its not, and your telling me its not now but it was but have nothing to back that up with?? They all stood there silent, i said sounds like warranty to me, grabbed my keys and left.

I have a similar story.... chips, suspension etc. I tried to support Zender 3-4 times everytime it was painful and going no where. Funny thing is I now hang with 3-4 people who work at Zender and still take my truck to City Ford.

On a more positive note I just purchased a preowned Lexus from Edmonton on 170st. WOW that level of service will blow your mind, second to none. Free loaners, lounge with free booze (use with discretion) and massage chairs while waiting. If I need an oil change I call the dealer 24hrs in advance and they come pickup my car service it and deliver it back to my home fully detailed at no extra charge. I live west of Stony Plain (the town) by the way. Communication is great between service and sales and they actually care that you are happy.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always dreamed of a dealer that picks up my vehicle, services it, and returns it. Thought only Merc did that.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one who has had absolutely astounding warranty service with my last 3 trucks.

I have been using Waterloo Ford for 12 years and never, ever had any warranty claims questioned. Anywhere from leaking difs, to seat leather imperfections, to paint imperfections, to small spots of tarnish on my running boards.. ALL covered.... and I didn't even buy new from them. Guess I am lucky.

same here Mark.

My wife and I have bought six units from Peace River Ford (also a cat dealer).

I'm a dodge guy at heart, but with sales and service that awesome, I'll drive a Ford. Great staff, and techs that will actually FIX stuff.

Very impressed with them. Unfortunately it's a little out of the way for anyone that doesn't live up here.....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dealership has a service manager? I tried to find one at Wood Wheaton in Prince George once and was told they don't have a service manager and that I had to talk to one of the advisers. They really do suck there!
I filled out one of GM's online after service survey's, told them what I thought about that and the other BS service issues I had with Wheaton and they have ignored my every attempt of communication with them.

Are service writers really this dumb?

Kipp Scott GM: my 2010 GM 1/2 ton. Problem: I have a suspicion that the 5.3 is a bit noisier than it needs to be on cold start-ups. (my 06 was the same and never changed in 270,000km...but) I figure I better at least get it on paper before the warranty goes out that I think it's rattly. Anyways, I drop it off the night before, get rides both ways, then a ride to work the next day. I get a call from the service writer that she brought the truck in, then the tech couldn't find a noise. WHAAAA? I say, "so I go through the trouble of telling you EXACTLY what it's doing, THEN I get rides all over the country so I can drop it off and you can have it cold. THEN you fire it up first thing and bring it inside for the tech to work on it?"
She now realizes she's been an idiot, so asks, "can you leave it over night tonight?"
Yes...I lost my $h!t. I get a ride down, service manager involved, etc ,etc. In the end, nothing done, engine is fine according to them.

Gord Scott Nissan: wife's 2011 Murano. Problem: been losing coolant and you can smell antifreeze since vehicle was new. Level in overflow bottle drops a couple inches every oil change. Last time I dropped it off (last summer) was the THIRD time in for this issue. And the THIRD time they said they checked it and can't find a problem. I get the runarround story about how the level in the bottle goes up and down with temperature, they pressured it up and can't find anything, bla, bla, bla. I point out the pink felt-pen line THEY drew on the hot-full level and how it now (hot) is 2" below that line. Anyways...get service manager involved, and he seems pretty understanding and sympathetic, but nothing done. Drop it off today for same issue...booked in 3 weeks ago...strong smell of AF, and level is down again. Service writer "prepares me" for the news that "they will check it, but if they find anything you will have to re-book it in".......
I ask her if she bothered to look up the 3 previous work orders...? I get my ride to work. This afternoon, I will be losing my $h!t....

Last edited:
Top Bottom