How warm is TOO warm to be sledding?

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were planning one last trip for this weekend, but the temps are supposed to be +17C :eek:. I am having second thoughts because I think this is way too warm for the sleds.

Any feedback/advice from others out there?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be aware of solar warming of the snowpack. As it gets warmer, it becomes more likely to come down. You likely already know this, but mentioning it wouldn't hurt... :beer:

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesnt matter providing you run liquid cooled sleds and there is sufficient snow cover.

open up the hood vents as best you can and giver er

maxwell is correct, open up all the vents and pinnner, cheers:beer:!

canadakevin

Reaction score
In the warmer weather - most everytime I stop I put a little snow on top of my tunnel and kick some snow up into the underside of the tunnel at the rear - I run two M seriers cats and this does help for not overheating on them.

Have a great ride this weekend.

Kevin

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen it be +15 at the parking lot and snowing up top in June. Fan cooled sleds will have a little more problem with vapour locking if the fuel lines run close to the motor or exhaust, otherwise the liquid sleds run just fine. Put the scratchers down and gunner. If you can, take the hood off if you are really concerned.

As mentioned, solar warming and wet avy's are big concerns, and also when the snow gets that warm it rots fast once water starts passing through it, you can get stuck pretty bad and pretty easily later in the day. Just head up earlier in the day (leaving the parking lot by 7 am) and plan on coming back a little earlier (back at the truck by 3 pm).

Years ago we used to get up and ride at 5 am and be back at the truck by 1 pm before things got too hot and soft.

In the harder spring snow you can travel a long way really fast because it's like riding on a highway, it's easy to cover long distances.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have ridden in pretty warm temps before, but I think this may be the warmest yet. Will have to see how things work out.

04f6

Reaction score
i've rode in 65 degree f temp and never had a problem if i kept in snow and kicked some up in the tunnel never had an issue.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have riden in plus 20 weather hear on the island , I just take my hood off , Food for thought , snow reflects uv make sure you have sun screen , I had a really bad sun burn on my arms and face one year .

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring sledding at +30 is where it's at. Next best thing without sand! No problems with temps just keep snow inside track & on tunnel. Stop & reload / cool down /:beer:
Come home with sun tans is where friends are envious.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is too warm when your sledding buddy is in a thong... and it isn't a girl!!:nono::(

Top Bottom