How to stop dog from wandering?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many people make dog purchases on appearance, for it to really last and work for the both of you, you must have some sort of balance of activity and stimulation. People who buy highly active dogs and throw them in a cage are going to hate life. Research what you would like as far as activity levels and tendencies and narrow down the breed by this criteria.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't compare kids with dogs. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why??

If your dog is not behaving the way you would like blame yourself. Same goes for kids. They only know what they are taught by their owner or parents. If you get a dog that 3 yrs old it's like adopting a teenager....you are going to have your work cut out for you.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the dog is bored and looking for someone to please. It may never stay home, might need to go to someone who needs a full time companion.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why that disturbs you? Please explain?

Sorry man. I really didn't want to start a pissing match here. I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I got too much hick in me. Comparing human life and emotion to an animals is just wrong. Just the way I was raised I guess. We keep a dog around here. I put up with her cause my girls like to scratch her behind the ears every now and and again. But she sleeps in the barn. Guess I just get frustrated with dog owners doting over dogs. Sweaters and little dog booties. Food of higher quality then some people in this world consume. Cmon. It's a dog.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough I guess. To each their own. My dogs live outside eat dry dog food and don't wear booties in the winter either lol. But I still like them more than most people. To me they are smart, loyal, useful and obedient which is more than I can say about some people.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry man. I really didn't want to start a pissing match here. I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I got too much hick in me. Comparing human life and emotion to an animals is just wrong. Just the way I was raised I guess. We keep a dog around here. I put up with her cause my girls like to scratch her behind the ears every now and and again. But she sleeps in the barn. Guess I just get frustrated with dog owners doting over dogs. Sweaters and little dog booties. Food of higher quality then some people in this world consume. Cmon. It's a dog.

You have your opinion just like we have ours. I agree that I'd take my dog over most people.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Today had company over, she got a ton of attention from two little girls, had her ball and was playing. Company was leaving, I went into the shop, left the doors open on shop. Was in there 15 minutes putting shocks on a sled. Then took a sled out of my shop, took it for a rip down the driveway and back to the yard. So probably 25 minutes in total since company left. I parked the sled, tried to call her, she wouldn't come. Call and call and call, still wouldn't come. So got on sled again went to the shop where they're working and sure and **** she tries to hide from me behind a dumpster because she knew she was being bad. So I drove up to the dumpster and she ran away from me. I grabbed her put her on my lap and drove back to the farm. Now she's on the leash again.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like her previous owner taught her to be a companion possibly unintentionally. She is likely lonely and looking for company. That's why she is seeking out any people she can find to hang around. It will be difficult to retrain that kind of dog. You could try getting another dog and see if she accepts canine company and is satisfied to stay around or find someone who is looking for a companion dog. My experience with companion dogs is that they can't function very well without human company and some can't without their owner period. German shepards take their roles/jobs very seriously and will do whatever they can to do them. No leash or fence will stop that.She hides because she knows your mad but can't understand why.

What ever you choose before you load your gun pm me I'll come and get her and find her a suitable home.

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our Shepard ran to our neighbours across the road all the time, they home schooled their kids, and of course their kids gave her treats. I had asked them not to give her any food, but I'm sure they kept on doing it, until they bought a cat. Shepard basically ate their cat, they never told me about that, but they stopped feeding her after that, cause she stays around the house pretty good now. She keeps herself pretty busy with mousing and digging up voles, so she stays around the house and fields pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the dog is doing her job at night it may be an option to only let her out at night. If the animal doesn't have a job during the day then lock it up save yourself some frustration. But just like kids there are lots of good ones out there dont waste time on the bad ones!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom