Commercial General Liability Insurance

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from other small business owners on here regarding commercial insurance.

Background:

Been with the same insurance broker for over 20 years. Recently the insurance company our business is insured with (again over 20 years) did a review of our business. Nothing much has changed other than growth, and nothing out of the ordinary in our business practices. We are a two person team, do not entertain clients on site, only visit clients at their sites. Very little inventory stocked here at a very small office...we ship out same day what comes in. I attend trade shows/conferences a few times a year, and only setup a booth at maybe two. Insurance company came back and said we are no longer "within their apetite". No reason as to why. Broker shopped around seven other of the companies they represent and only found one that will insure us. Cost is significantly higher. Broker says they have been struggling getting commercial insurance for all their small business owners. She said this has become the norm as of late. According to her no one wants small business liabilities. She said try being a contractor in the oil patch, almost no insurance company wants them or the cost is exorbitant.

There is absolutely nothing abnormal about what we do and we are a small organization compared to our peers.

Anyone else seeing this? Is this a post COVID thing? Maybe the insurance co's think a wave of lawsuits coming? Broker didn't have any answers as she says the companies they represent ore not giving details. They are just passing on small businesses.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Location?

We switched this summer, got sick of Western Financial and their BS. They have tripled my rates over the past 5 years then threatened me when I declined to renew.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My nephew left western long time ago also
He is vp at wilson m beck in pg now
Business and commercial is his specialty and very good rates. Let me know if u want his number and i will pm it to you

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m doing plant maintenance on industrial sites. First place I checked (cooperators) gave me 5mill general liability For $1800 a year. So I went with them. 2 years after getting my general liability I started shopped around for insurance As my insurance on my homes went up 75% In 6 years with no claims. I called around to switch everything, well I found different home insurance but I could not find another company interested in insuring me for the industrial work. So I’m still with cooperators for a few things…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My nephew left western long time ago also
He is vp at wilson m beck in pg now
Business and commercial is his specialty and very good rates. Let me know if u want his number and i will pm it to you
interested pm me

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with economical, rates go up every year without any claims. I've tried to shop around and some companies won't touch me because of what I do, but never had any of them care about the size of company.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Location?

We switched this summer, got sick of Western Financial and their BS. They have tripled my rates over the past 5 years then threatened me when I declined to renew.
Edmonton

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deal with Brad at Darson Insurance, he has been pretty good to deal with for home, auto & my CGLI. The CGLI policy is with Intact, 5 mil liability & believe it was $1066 this year.

Top Bottom