How to stop dog from wandering?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dog is a German shepherd she's three years old. Never been tied up before. She has a very bad habit of whenever she hears people. Anywhere she has to go visit. Neighbor had an auction sale a last April, she had to go visit everyone. Since last April she never wandered off. But recently commercial farm is putting up a big shop 1/2 mile away. She can hear the guys in the morning working. So she's went there 4 times now. First time we didn't know and the guys working on the shop called us and we went and got her. Brought her home and put her in the quancet just for her to push the doors open and come to the house. So went outside got a leash and tied her up.

We we take her off to do chores feeding the cows, then put her back on the leash. Trying to teach her the consequence of running away. Well couple days went by at this and we tried to let her off the leash again. The next morning she ran away again. Sons to go back and get her a second time. Tried the same routine. Let her stay on leash for a few more days and off to do chores.

Third time we were outside. Cleaning snow, and I was in the shop. She took off through the field to try get there even when we're outside. So I went out on my sled and gave her a lickin and dragged her back to the yard and tied her back up. Thinking since we caught her directly in the act, she can coorelate the lickin to running away.

Well fourth time she ran away because someonelet her off the leash to have a dump and didn't put her back on, and within half hour she was already at the neighbor shop. Had to get her once more...

so again she went on the leash. Tied up. Thought maybe since it snowed she lost all her toys. So got her a brand new squeaky ball, yesterday was outside all day. Played with her every time she brought the ball to me in my shop. Gave her a ton of attention thinking she was feeling neglected. So thinking the problem was fixed, giving her a new ball, a ton of attention, and lots of food, we left her off the leash last night. To find out this morning she's gone yet again.

no idea what to do now. This dog has been the worst one we've had, absolutely doesn't not retain any knowledge. Disobedient, wanders, and chases the cows without us.

Meanwhile, our old border collie is sitting by the house being a good dog. You'd think she would have learnt from the border collie what not to do.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used the boundary box for ours. He is a Shepard rottie cross.
The box plugged into a wall outlet. It has a dial to set the range. 90ft is furthest range.
the shock collar goes on the dog. It has 6 different settings.
We kept ours on the 5th setting.

After a couple years he would walk to the invisible line and just sit there. With out the collar being worn. So it does work.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
invisible fence! pet safe, run wire in ground or string it on fence or across property like an electric fence.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Only problem with that is we want her to set up a territory. We have cattle and we are on a full section of land. Coyotes are a problem and we want her to go out at night to patrol. But not during the day to visit people. All of our past dogs have done exactly that. And we got this German shepherd while our collie is still alive to teach. The Shepherd has the patrolling at night pretty good so far she just needs to learn to not wander during the day to the neighbors.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hire a dog trainer. Could be a expensive dog by the time ur done though.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to shoot the dogs that wouldn't stay home,.. then started with blue healer pups and it was better. Had to start buying lots of replacement rubber boots though haha

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to shoot the dogs that wouldn't stay home,.. then started with blue healer pups and it was better. Had to start buying lots of replacement rubber boots though haha

Why wouldn't you just let it run away or give the dog away instead of shooting it? Makes no sense to me.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here growing up on our farm,a dog that don't stay home is a dead dog. We had lots of dogs growing up!

Some dogs you can break the habit once it starts some you can't no matter how hard you beat it into them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give the neighbours a paint gun. Think the dog is getting some attention from them.

daddys girl

Reaction score
Shoot the dog,beat the dog,zap the dog.Get the dog a girl friend and it will stay home.It works on guys.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try positive reinforcement. Every time you go out of the house and she is there give her some attention and a cookie. If you had got her younger training would be easier but basically you have to put in more effort to train her because she is older. Not the dogs fault.

And to the people saying shoot her....come to my place I'll solve all your problems.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys suck at dog training... get a dog that is appropriate for the task that you want to acheive. If you want a coyote slayer get a irish wolf hound, if you want border patrol get a great pyranees. If you want a herding dog get a collie or heeler... Basically if the german is wandering it is bored and is looking for attention. They are a smart dog and need to be worked or engaged or they will find something to do. I personally have a border collie and suffer with the OCD type tendencies but the obedience and intelligence are an tradeoff for me. (damn I love my dog)

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Border collie here as well. Exercise , exercise, exercise. Walk your dog at least twice a day , more if you can. As stated above the dog is bored and needs mental and physical stimulation. Just like we do.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys suck at dog training... get a dog that is appropriate for the task that you want to acheive. If you want a coyote slayer get a irish wolf hound, if you want border patrol get a great pyranees. If you want a herding dog get a collie or heeler... Basically if the german is wandering it is bored and is looking for attention. They are a smart dog and need to be worked or engaged or they will find something to do. I personally have a border collie and suffer with the OCD type tendencies but the obedience and intelligence are an tradeoff for me. (damn I love my dog)
I agree with the great pyranees. Mine defiantly works the property line when he is outside. Someone looks bad he lets them know they are not welcome in the yard. He always walks beside the good ones and stays quiet. Everyone knew his name before they knew us lol.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try positive reinforcement. Every time you go out of the house and she is there give her some attention and a cookie. If you had got her younger training would be easier but basically you have to put in more effort to train her because she is older. Not the dogs fault.

And to the people saying shoot her....come to my place I'll solve all your problems.

I can't come to your place, if I leave home I'll get shot:d

Top Bottom