How to stop dog from wandering?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting watch if you have the time.. I think if applies to most animals, "BUCK" on netflix. It is based upon horses but it is a pretty solid life lesson for all of us. Dogs reply very similar to these techniques.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started getting calls from our neighbors down the road saying our dog was on the road. She has always stayed home with the other dogs. Went on for a while until the wife came home early one day and she saw the mail lady giving our dog treats! Boy did she get an ear full, Haven't had a problem since.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have your neighbor take a few shots at him with the 22 cal.. and tell him to get real close, tag a ear even, he will stay at home after that and **** himself every time he hears that noise.. tested and proven a few times, first time success rate

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have your neighbor take a few shots at him with the 22 cal.. and tell him to get real close, tag a ear even, he will stay at home after that and **** himself every time he hears that noise.. tested and proven a few times, first time success rate

Tag an ear?? Wtf what if he misses and makes a head shot ?? Some of you people are fawked! If you don't want to take the time to train it give it to someone who will.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should try this with kids. I mean if its ok to do to someones dog I should be able to do it to their kids right?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lets put it this way. When I am out with my dog I keep him close as there are too many idiots out there that think it is ok to just pull out the rifle and shoot a dog for kicks. If someone was to shoot my dog they better wear a bullet proof vest at all times. Maybe a vest over top of their head too.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
We try our best to use positive reinforcement. But sometimes frustration get the best of me and I give her a little lickin. She use to kill cats. Until we took one she killed and duck taped it around her neck for a week. Hasn't killed one since.

I feel like like the first time she went over to visit other people they all gave her so much attention she sees it as a reward. So she's going to keep trying to do it. Whenever I'm out and about and I see someone's dog wandering I always yell at it and tell it to go home. Never positive reinforcement for doing bad things.

We left her on the leash all day today and yesterday. Went to feed cows and she started clawing at the cars to get closer to us. Just problem after problem.

I do not want to associate guns with bad behaviour. I go shooting gophers and take the dogs with when I go down the pasture, I taught her how to hunt gophers. Always entertaining to see the, dig one right out of its hole.

Flyer

Reaction score
I bet that she's being fed left overs at lunch and coffee break by the workers building the barn. Have a conversation. Ask them not to feed her and otherwise ignore her. You can also have them lift her tail and splash a bit of salt or gasoline on her a$$. Anything to make it known to her that she's not welcome there.

They might be trying to be nice neighbors by being nice to your dog. You can't blame them, but you can ask them to help retrain her.

Daughter has a Border Collie. I had her here for a day. She's just a pet, but gets plenty of exercise. The OCD tendencies are there. She'll stare you down. Can't leave a ball alone. So smart though. She's recently been taught to pick up her toys and put them away. I think she'll have to be taught new commands all her life in order not to lose her mind. It's almost unfair to the dog to have her and not have livestock for her to tend. She needs to have a job. Right now she thinks it's chasing and catching her ball. I'm thinking about getting one too, but is it fair to the dog?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a farm your dog don't live long if it's a runner, could probably work on a few kids as well, but never tried..lol

Yah on our farm we never got to attached to dogs, if they went over to the next farm they usually got shot. Sad but true. But but in my dads eyes a dead dog was better then a few thousand dollar bill if they chased live stock around. We had cows abort calves, wrecked fences, even dead cows do to dog chasing them.

OP as for your dog have a chat with the guys over there and ask them to chase her home if she shows up there. Should only take a time or two and she will get the message that she's not wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a farm your dog don't live long if it's a runner, could probably work on a few kids as well, but never tried..lol

I grew up on farm so I get the chasing cattle thing. If somebody's dog took a bite out of my paycheck I'd be pissed to and definitely go after the owner. But when I was a kid one of our dogs was poisoned and that's wrong. It's indiscriminant, that particular dog was a bird dog who liked to hunt and happened to be scared ****less of cows. If you catch a dog chasing your cows fine but just shooting any dog you see wandering isn't right. I find that hypocritical because if your cows got out on to someone else's property and they started shooting them you would call the cops.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet that she's being fed left overs at lunch and coffee break by the workers building the barn. Have a conversation. Ask them not to feed her and otherwise ignore her. You can also have them lift her tail and splash a bit of salt or gasoline on her a$$. Anything to make it known to her that she's not welcome there.

They might be trying to be nice neighbors by being nice to your dog. You can't blame them, but you can ask them to help retrain her.

Daughter has a Border Collie. I had her here for a day. She's just a pet, but gets plenty of exercise. The OCD tendencies are there. She'll stare you down. Can't leave a ball alone. So smart though. She's recently been taught to pick up her toys and put them away. I think she'll have to be taught new commands all her life in order not to lose her mind. It's almost unfair to the dog to have her and not have livestock for her to tend. She needs to have a job. Right now she thinks it's chasing and catching her ball. I'm thinking about getting one too, but is it fair to the dog?

One of our neighbors did that to a male shepard we had when his female would go into heat. Wire brush and some paint thinner. Give it a scratch then a shot of solvent and he never went back. Not the nicest thing but better than a bullet. Of course this was a neighbor who liked us and had to come get his cattle out of our wheat field more than once so I think he understood sometimes **** happens and it's better to be friendly about a solution than start a fight.

On a side note I don't think the Collie would mind if you got your own ball to chase lol

Flyer

Reaction score
On a side note I don't think the Collie would mind if you got your own ball to chase lol

;) That would leverage the exercise expectation associated with getting an active dog!

Top Bottom