How many KM's is too much on a used diesel

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've decided that it might be time to upgrade from my gas job f150 and am looking at some diesels in the under 10 000 price range, how many Km's is too much in your opinion? I'm leaning towards a 2000ish 3/4 with a cummins. back when I was an automotive tech I remember seeing an f350 7.3 with 950 000 hot shot truck and the guy was still running the original motor (couple injector swaps later of course) experiences? Major red flags? One I am interested is a one owner with full service documentation and about 400 000k on the cummins. I'd like to stay away from the super dutys due to the horrendous maintenance costs associated with them even though I love the trucks.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a loaded question my friend. All depends on the mods and how it was driven. If you can find a dodge 5.9 with 220,000 ish km that was driven stock then that motor should run you a good long time. If its modded out, then its a flip of a coin. I sold my 5.9 with 300,000 km and it had lots of life left so...

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want something bone stock. That's something I will stick to with my vehicles, even an exhaust tells me it's been driven like it was stolen at some point (I know because I was once young with a loud exhaust lol)

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if looking at older stock trucks i would be more conceared with the transmision and front ends than the engine it self
the diesel engines are built tough for 500 000 + km the trucks wrapped around the motor not so much

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want something bone stock. That's something I will stick to with my vehicles, even an exhaust tells me it's been driven like it was stolen at some point (I know because I was once young with a loud exhaust lol)

I wouldn't say that is always the case. I put an intake exhaust and towing tune on my 2000 ford 7.3. Not to hot rod it but just to get a bit more power towing. Never had any major issues with that truck other than it starting to rust a bit on the box. Liked it so much I bought my second ford (12 f350 with the 6.7)

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 Duramax with 260000 km awesome truck so far .... If u could find a older Duramax for around 10 grand that would be a awesome pickup I would stay under 300 km tho

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 million kms !! Lol
But seriously , lots of hot shot guys run cummins up over 750,000 kms
My buddy just bought an 07 5.9 cummins with 395,000 kms and it purrs like new.
Obviously anytime you start getting into high mileage , you just never know what's gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that is always the case. I put an intake exhaust and towing tune on my 2000 ford 7.3. Not to hot rod it but just to get a bit more power towing. Never had any major issues with that truck other than it starting to rust a bit on the box. Liked it so much I bought my second ford (12 f350 with the 6.7)

A mild tune is ok I won't disagree there, however I feel as though once a guy has put a tuner to his truck there's no telling what sort of maps he's run on it. I know a guy who killed the 3rd gear in his Allison in all of 2 weeks because 200hp more was "fun"... He didn't find it so fun working extra hours to pay off his new tranny lol

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We service several fleets, and have many diesels all makes, well over 1/2 million kms..... Problems with the 6.0l and 6.4l fords though, but once all sealed up internally on the high pressure oil system, they rock pretty good again..... Just remember if there is a problem with diesels, it's usually not cheap. Highest miler we service is a 12 valve cummins at 1,132,000 kms ..... Hot shot service/courier and still running out of town runs daily

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have no issue buying a Duramax or Cummins with 400K plus on the odometer. I have seen many of both with 600K plus running strong. As mentioned earlier its everything else around the engine that starts to go. My brothers '02 Dmax was due for a body job thanks to rust at 580K but was still running strong. My 09 Dmax just rolled 300K and still looks and runs like that day it was new.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought my cummins at 240 drove it like a 1 day rental till 375km with lots of mods but i still would have sold it to a friend. i wish i never sold it.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 435, 000 on my 5.9 and still got 8 grand and it was 12 yrs old, so under that would be good

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock tune, never abused.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379300989.596116.jpg

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
IMO an inline engine will outlive a v style engine. Just by the simple fact with an inline all the thrust is essentially straight down on the mains, where a v style it alternates side to side at an angle. Also I heard a story years ago, not sure on the legitimacy of it though, that the cummins 5.9 was rated at 750,000km lifespan and the ford 7.3 was only 450,000km lifespan. This was from transport Canada I believe.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO an inline engine will outlive a v style engine. Just by the simple fact with an inline all the thrust is essentially straight down on the mains, where a v style it alternates side to side at an angle. Also I heard a story years ago, not sure on the legitimacy of it though, that the cummins 5.9 was rated at 750,000km lifespan and the ford 7.3 was only 450,000km lifespan. This was from transport Canada I believe.

I know of multiple 7.3 Fords with well over a million km on them.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware the pre-02 cummins with a front oil leak, or an owner that is unaware of the Cummins KDP.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I know of multiple 7.3 Fords with well over a million km on them.

Have no doubt there are tons of 7.3's out there that are part if the million mile club. Proper maintenance and service says a lot. Just repeating a story I heard about the lifespan of certain engines. And as far as v engines go, that's why they make 4 bolt mains and cross bolt mains to strengthen the bottom end. But an inline typically will last longer.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have no doubt there are tons of 7.3's out there that are part if the million mile club. Proper maintenance and service says a lot. Just repeating a story I heard about the lifespan of certain engines. And as far as v engines go, that's why they make 4 bolt mains and cross bolt mains to strengthen the bottom end. But an inline typically will last longer.

I don't doubt they do, but the truck is going to fall apart around the engine before you ever get to that critical point.

Top Bottom