Buying a Used F350....6.0 or the 6.4?

landownunder

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wanting to upgrade my current Nissan Titan to a diesel truck for pulling a toy hauler and 2 quads. I think I have decided on buying an F350 and in my price range it will either be one of the last few years of the 6.0 (2006-2007) or possibly the first years of the 6.4 (2008-2009). From what I have found it seems like if I can find a 6.0 that is relatively stock with an egr delete and no tune they can be fairly reliable as long as it was maintained. Sounds like the 6.4 gets pretty horrible mileage without a dpf delete but the 2008 is a much nicer ride and has more power, but seeing as the 6.4 was still new in those years it had some problems. I have read both good and bad about both online and am not too sure which way I want to go. I'm looking to spend about 20k max.

What do you guys think?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I would personally stay away from the 6.0l now.... They are aging and getting up there in mileage(some of them). Many many problems with them, of varying magnitudes. Second year 6.4l best bet....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would personally stay away from the 6.0l now.... They are aging and getting up there in mileage(some of them). Many many problems with them, of varying magnitudes. Second year 6.4l best bet....

plus the 6.0L are still the number 1 stolen vehicle in Alberta (if not Canada)

landownunder

Reaction score
What makes the second year of the 6.4 a lot better? I am going to look at a 2008 tonight and it has 180k km on it, its had both turbos replaced otherwise he claims it has had no other problems, has both egr and dpf deletes already done to it. Pretty slim pickings for 2009's in my price range for sale now....There are a few 06/07 6.0L with 160-180k for sale tho, fairly low mileage for the year.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid both and try to get into a newer 6.7l
But if I had no other option the 6l once updated is a much better motor then the 6.4l.
both are POS but the 6.4 is a bigger POS

A 6.0 can be a very solid motor if you understand them and update them.
I pushing over 300,000 on mine but not without testing my patience.

BTW, you better have a FAT wallet for maintenance cost cause they are not cheap to keep running plus if your the type that tries to avoid maintenance these diesel will eventually bite you with very high cost of repair. They don't tolerate lack of maintenance

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally say 6.4 simply because of the theft issues. 6.0 fords have been the most stolen vehicle multiple years in a row and it's obviously for a reason.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an 05 Harley edition, with 138K. It has had issues, but ALL vehicles have issues..... It has never been chipped, and it is stock. I have been seriously thinking of selling it, because I don't use it enough for what it is needed for. I would like to get 13K and from what I have seen on kijiji. I am in the ball park, if not a little under.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ding ding ding , sounds like a winner ! That sounds like a good buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landownunder

Reaction score
I have an 05 Harley edition, with 138K. It has had issues, but ALL vehicles have issues..... It has never been chipped, and it is stock. I have been seriously thinking of selling it, because I don't use it enough for what it is needed for. I would like to get 13K and from what I have seen on kijiji. I am in the ball park, if not a little under.

I just sent you a PM Trashy

landownunder

Reaction score
Interesting to hear how often 6.0's are stolen.....something I never heard about before!

Anybody wanna take a Nissan Titan on trade for their diesel??? :beer::beer:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at a GM? They are probably the better buy in that age range, both the motors and trannies had already been around for a while and have proven to be quite reliable.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
017.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of pics of the truck, but I can take more if you need?

landownunder

Reaction score
Sure a few more would be good. Send me your phone number and I'll give ya a call tomorrow about it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear how often 6.0's are stolen.....something I never heard about before!

Anybody wanna take a Nissan Titan on trade for their diesel???
They are the easiest vehicle to steel other than leaving ur keys in it

30 sec and a flat blade screw driver and hammer, door and lock cylinder are gone and so is the truck

If u buy one, get a starter kill, the club, alarm installed

Or a big, good, fire and theft insurance policy

Top Bottom