How many jet sizes for UNI pods

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got the top end parts back from Mots, everything looked perfect and besides launching a wrist pin clip into the abyss... it’s all back together. Reused 1 clip and 2 needle bearings.

i sourced an air box but I’m still waiting for the rubber boots that connect the carbs to the box, should be this week from Yamaha.

is there anything I should check before first fire up? The lean burn down has me wondering if the carbs are on spec. Reading about the butterflies, there’s not much tuning you can do so should I assume it’s good? They were cleaned “professionally” this fall from what I hear.

fire up, warm up, short ride, check plug colour? I don’t really want to run it to high rpm for some time right away to really see on the plug?

rookie....

my source did not pan out for the air box

run a little premix in the fuel, did you check the plastic gear on oil pump ?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did not check the oil pump, I did make sure the throttle cables pulling it up. Is it suspect the plastic gear fails?

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check JT’s Snowmobile Repair in Ontario for that Airbox. Also, on my old 93 Phaser, it really liked Boyesen reeds. If you wver have to change them.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did not check the oil pump, I did make sure the throttle cables pulling it up. Is it suspect the plastic gear fails?

run premix in tank 100/1 and keep eye on oil tank to see if its using oil

if oil consumption is apparent ...... your good to go

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The previous owner did say it used oil on the day it burnt down. I will premix some fresh premium and Then mark/monitor the level

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always run the oil pump with a drill or a impact When rebuilding. It only takes a few seconds to see it pumping oil.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever consider a bad crank seal?

that was my thought until reading on how common the mid range lean is with pods on Yamaha fan cooled twins. I will do the carb cleaner trick on the first heat cycle.

Does a guy vary rpm for a bit or hold it at a high idle to set rings? Hopefully we get some snow and she can go beat on it after.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got it fired up and everything seems ok.

it does idle high, around 3000 and if I lower the knob, she dies. Warmed it up and rode it a bit. Checked plugs, looked brown. The high idle still gets me thinking crank seals?

also, if I move the throttle cable, it causes the sled to die... but let it go and it runs up again. Thinking this is a kill switch issue in the throttle block? TORS?

hopefully the crank seals are good... and I didn’t just pooch a freshy top end...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go through the carbs again and specifically check for plugged pilot jets. Also make sure you have the correct size which I believe should be 70. Fuel screw 1 turn. Idle should be 1600 plus or minus 100. Check float height also by inverting carb and checking float is parallel to carb body.
Throttle lever free play should be 1 to 2 mm. Most people just bypassed the TORS by joining the bullet connectors back to each other at the carbs.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there anything throttle cable related that would cause the engine spark to cut? or am I looking for a short in the kill switch/throttle block assembly?

(removed the leather/foam) its weird to push or pull the cable 2" either way and the motor quits... i wiggled every electrical connection and nothing makes it do the same thing.

What does the 2 wire carb sensor do under the idle screw? TORS?

Thanks for the help boys! The trophy wife's smile was pretty big when it fired right up with electric start! just want to make sure I'm 100% now.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sensor is part of the TORS. There are a couple of switches in the throttle block as well that work in conjunction with it. It is supposed to cut spark when the throttle cable freezes up but it is too sensitive as you have found out. That's why I always just bypassed it by hooking the connectors together at the carb instead of having the wires go to the throttle lever and back down. You'll be fine with bypassing it. We never had a throttle cable freeze on any of our Phazers. Just make sure the rider knows about the kill switch:eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom