How many jet sizes for UNI pods

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 500 fan cooled venture basically a phazer... the previous owner had lost the air box and put UNI pods on. I am looking to source an air box but was wondering, how many sizes do you need to add for pods?

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to go up 2 on the bigger motors and up one on the needle then adjust the air screw as needed
good luck

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the plugs look like and piston wash , compression ?
Previous owner must have ran it ?
He may have richened up already ?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep on the old Rotax 670's we would go up 2 sizes on the mains and pull the needle 1 clip as well

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the sled still have the butterfly carbs, if it does there is really no way to tune the midrange. It could run a little lean, make sure to run premium fuel.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Butterfly carbs. Old owner Burnt 2 pistons after installing pods. I am sourcing an air box.... And doing a top end lol

thanks guys!

Got a new family wagon!

or am I looking for another issue? 2 pistons with holes... carbs were professionally cleaned supposedly and The missing air box was a bit out of budget... pods were cheap... motors fawked after 50 km of ditch bangin

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Butterfly carbs. Old owner Burnt 2 pistons after installing pods. I am sourcing an air box.... And doing a top end lol

thanks guys!

Got a new family wagon!

or am I looking for another issue? 2 pistons with holes... carbs were professionally cleaned supposedly and The missing air box was a bit out of budget... pods were cheap... motors fawked lol

Probably mid range burn down on a sled like that ?
A set of power jets would fix the mid range fuel and top end as well .

3d197712ef253770f5847e9f765e59a4.jpg

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would drop at least 5. On my Mach Z with K&Ns I was 9 jets smaller. Ran like a champ. My friends would always tell me to slow down LOL.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a set of pods on an old 583 and I had to drop jet sizes. They were far more restrictive than the airbox on a 1996 MXZ 583. Made more oomph with the airbox on with the mods I had done. 501 rotary valve, shorty intake boots, and twin pipes. It would flat out destroy any 700 and hang with the triples until the big end.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thanks guys!

Got a new family wagon!

or am I looking for another issue? 2 pistons with holes... carbs were professionally cleaned supposedly and The missing air box was a bit out of budget... pods were cheap... motors fawked after 50 km of ditch bangin

There was a mod to richen the midrange on those carbs. Unfortunately the parts are no longer available. The mod was to replace the primary nozzles with different nozzles that had a thru hole or in other words there was a hole in the airbox side of the nozzle and a matching hole on the engine side. The stock nozzle only had one hole on the airbox side. I did that mod after burning up a phazer engine when I piped it and never had a problem after that.
If you feel adventurous you could drill your nozzles.

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/carbs/PhaserCarbs.htm

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing some research and pods on a phazer/venture and they blowup...

they like the airbox, not a lot of others do but history speaks.

shout out to Mots Machining, they're going to bore both holes and supply all new parts. Cast iron bores, no Nikasil. Do it right the first time and get an air box then it Should be good for a loooong time after.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not yet, a few tips but nothing solid. I don’t want to order stateside if possible.

It’s an 05 Venture 500 fan cooled but phazer 500 99-01 or venture 500 99-05 should fit.

Thanks!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inquiry sent. I have a few leads, motors at mots til the 4th I bet. Thanks for the help, keep it comin.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s got trailing arms. Newer design of phazer 500 Venture 500. Thanks for looking!!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have now! Lol

there’s a couple stateside on Ebay if I don’t find one after xmas.

thanks again

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got the top end parts back from Mots, everything looked perfect and besides launching a wrist pin clip into the abyss... it’s all back together. Reused 1 clip and 2 needle bearings.

i sourced an air box but I’m still waiting for the rubber boots that connect the carbs to the box, should be this week from Yamaha.

is there anything I should check before first fire up? The lean burn down has me wondering if the carbs are on spec. Reading about the butterflies, there’s not much tuning you can do so should I assume it’s good? They were cleaned “professionally” this fall from what I hear.

fire up, warm up, short ride, check plug colour? I don’t really want to run it to high rpm for some time right away to really see on the plug?

rookie....

Top Bottom