How are the ford ecoboosts for towing?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the ecoboost holds up after 100-150+k on them. Think I'd be still going diesel if I was towing alot of the time, long distance. My thought is Eco tows great for Occasional use only (regardless of fords 500k torture test).

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mr. Magnet....with the new SAE tow rating system about to apply to all new pickups, the tow wars may be coming to somewhat of a end. Many truck ratings are actually about to drop. Those myths of being able to tow more than the rating will be crushed for sure. In the end, Towing ore than ratings just means at some point, somethings going to give.....and I sure hope my family isn't around when it does.

Back to the ECO boost. A couple years back camping in the Kootenays, I spoke to guy who just pulled into the campground with one. I was intrigued. He had a 28 foot TT, three boys and a lot of stuff in the trailer and box. He said this was his first day towing and on steep grades he was pulling past diesel trucks.

Bully Dog was touting a custom tune with their Triple Dog programmer giving the Ecoboost 404 RWHP and 446 Ft/Lbs of torque. Damn impressive for a small CI displacement engine.

GM's original 2013 tow ratings were to the new sae ratings. but when dodge and ford said they would be ready but didnt publish those rating GM went back to their old system

on the new systems the one tons went up slightly or stayed the same. half tons and 3/4 tons dropped a lot... on one 3/4 model the fifth wheel tow rating was only 11000 lbs... so to an earlier point made, 3/4s will be obsolete real soon

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM's original 2013 tow ratings were to the new sae ratings. but when dodge and ford said they would be ready but didnt publish those rating GM went back to their old system

on the new systems the one tons went up slightly or stayed the same. half tons and 3/4 tons dropped a lot... on one 3/4 model the fifth wheel tow rating was only 11000 lbs... so to an earlier point made, 3/4s will be obsolete real soon
so what does that mean for the eco boost, will it retain it's current tow weight rating?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what does that mean for the eco boost, will it retain it's current tow weight rating?

dunno but the truck makers arnt getting along...

J2807 Tow Ratings May Be Off For Years - PickupTrucks.com News

here were GM's 2013 new sae ratings... then they went back to their old standard as they were the only domestic... toyota has been on this standard for a few years

Tow Ratings Adjust for 2013 GM Pickups - PickupTrucks.com News

General Motors Waits to Implement J2807 - PickupTrucks.com News

Patman

Reaction score
I followed a few links in the articles and found the exact testing procedures for SAE J2807. Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine

Great Post!

This will definitely be a Game Changer once everyone is on board! But our roads SHOULD be safer as a result! Nothing like watching that guy fly by you in the passing lane with the trailer swaying and you thinking horse power does Not always equal stopping power!:smiliestirthepot:

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:

I disagree with that statement, yes the 3/4 ton will be derated but so will all 1/2 tons, your going to be lucky to tow a tent trailer with that ecoboost IMO:smiliestirthepot:

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Guys could have been me blown by you in my FX4 ecoboost with a 28 ft enclosed ..........

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I followed a few links in the articles and found the exact testing procedures for SAE J2807. Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine

Great article ! At the very least its makes it fair .
Tow vehicle must maintain 35 mph up the grade, while outside temperature is 100 degrees min. , AC must be on recirclate, with fan on bust,
no engine warning lights or loss of coolant can occur.
The only thing I see they are missing are the screaming kids, and the back seat driving wife, must be on full volume.
No components can fail, this includes the driver :d

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Every Ecoboost that I know of is having problems. They just stall when driving down the road and Ford cant and doesnt know whats wrong with them. I went with the 5.0L and get just as good as mileage and dont have to worry about twin turbos to blow up once they are off warranty Just my opinion of course. Local company had 10 of them and they all had problems and local ford dealer gave them new price to trade them in on 5 L trucks what does that say for them.

Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every Ecoboost that I know of is having problems. They just stall when driving down the road and Ford cant and doesnt know whats wrong with them. I went with the 5.0L and get just as good as mileage and dont have to worry about twin turbos to blow up once they are off warranty Just my opinion of course. Local company had 10 of them and they all had problems and local ford dealer gave them new price to trade them in on 5 L trucks what does that say for them.

I can only speek to my own experience. Almost 60K on my 2011. It's been flawless.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 3.5boost 5.5' box 3.73 gears. average winter so far is 15.8L/100. Low was 12.5L/100 with a strong tail wind. norm unloaded is about 14.5 95%highway @ 120 most of the time. I don't see how you guys are getting 12.5 on average. Sounds like bullcrap to me.
Agree!!! Thats mine to a tee. And i don't drive hard, 96% of the time.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mines brother has 273,000 km on his 2011 ECO and only issue he has had was ignition coil and charge air cooler just cracked.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they are really pushing the ecoboost motor and most sales guys say the same thing, but in actuality the 6.2 is a beast of a motor and way out pulls the ecoboost, buddy has both in his fleet of work trucks and says the 6.2 is better for towing. I have never towed with either of them but have driven both and the 6.2 is way more powerful in my opinion

talking to ford sales guys (i know to take this with a grain of salt) they saying it tows better than the 6.2L

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the numbers, this is where the ecoboost is supposed to shine. The power numbers are comparable to the 6.2l only with considerably better economy. The economy is similar to the 5L except the ecoboost makes quite a bit more power (according to the stats). I haven't driven a 6.2L, but have driven a few ecoboosts pulling and whatever and I can't see how anyone would say they don't pull well with good economy. Unless you are pulling at its capacity or over...it isn't a diesel after all.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the 6.2 in my Raptor I like the idea of the eco boost but hate the sound of the V6

Sent from my Note2

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the numbers, this is where the ecoboost is supposed to shine. The power numbers are comparable to the 6.2l only with considerably better economy. The economy is similar to the 5L except the ecoboost makes quite a bit more power (according to the stats). I haven't driven a 6.2L, but have driven a few ecoboosts pulling and whatever and I can't see how anyone would say they don't pull well with good economy. Unless you are pulling at its capacity or over...it isn't a diesel after all.

From what he has told me on flat roads with alot of straight aways and no wind the ecoboost holds its own with the 6.2, but get into the big hills and whindy roads and the 6.2 way outperforms, also his ecoboost has been in the shop for warranty issues and some outside of warranty a few times mostly turbo related and the 6.2 has only needed oil changes, both in the 130,000km range ish at the moment

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what he has told me on flat roads with alot of straight aways and no wind the ecoboost holds its own with the 6.2, but get into the big hills and whindy roads and the 6.2 way outperforms, also his ecoboost has been in the shop for warranty issues and some outside of warranty a few times mostly turbo related and the 6.2 has only needed oil changes, both in the 130,000km range ish at the moment

Would be neat to see a torque and power curve of each engine. As I even though both have similiar torque and ho numbers i am sure the 6.2 makes allot flatter torque line and allot more torque at the bottom end. The ego boost takes too long for the turbos to wind up I would guess. Thus getting its azz handed to it in the hills
Would probably benefit from dodges 8 speed trans
But it would still sound like a Honda

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Eco has absolutely no trouble in the hills towing. Most of the time its purring along at under 2000 rpm except for the very steep hills. On a steep hill it will shift down once to about 2600 rpm then your on your way. No need to floor it. Not sure where all this "in the hills" stuff is coming from. Also the turbos spool up virtually instantly. Certainly a nigh and day difference from my old 6.0 Power Stroke in that regard.:rolleyes:

Just for comparison here are charts from 5 Star. Stock is the green. The 6.2 definitely strong but the Eco isn't a slouch either. Added benefit of a turbo is that it doesn't take much to get a substantial increase out of it if your so inclined. :cool:

3.5L Eco

6.2L

Top Bottom