How are the ford ecoboosts for towing?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to say that my truck has the 4:30 diff gears.

Patman

Reaction score
I had to replace my RV puller this summer and I was allowed to try pulling my Desert Fox (heavy 24 ft) with a loaded Ecoboost Ford, a 1 Tonne Chevy, and I eventually bought a Cummins. The new Ford was hands down the quietest and smoothest truck of the lot, and I was truly impressed at the torque this new motor could pull at. The main reason I went with the heavier truck....I did not like how the trailer could sway the half tonne when it was windy or uneven road surfaces. The Ford also had a marginal load rating over the rear axle which might limit some if they choose to throw a quad in the back when towing. The Cummins also manages better fuel economy over long hauls. For an everyday driver, the half tonne is a better choice, but if you run loaded mostly, I would choose a heavier truck.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honest mileage:

Highway unloaded 12-13 L/100km typically
City unloaded 14-15 L/100km typically
Highway with 27' 7 wide enclosed (3000 lb trailer dry weight plus 2 to 3 sleds or RZR and gear) 22-23 L/100KM typically

Best I ever got 10.5 L/100km on a unloaded highway trip to BC
Worst I ever got 25 L/100km with the enclosed trailer fighting a head wind down to Crowsnest. The truck still pulled great.

2011 crew cab 6' box 4x4 3.73 gears. 55,000 km on the truck, 9000 km with the trailer. I don't baby it. I just drive it and get what I get.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honest mileage:

Highway unloaded 12-13 L/100km typically
City unloaded 14-15 L/100km typically
Highway with 27' 7 wide enclosed (3000 lb trailer dry weight plus 2 to 3 sleds or RZR and gear) 22-23 L/100KM typically

Best I ever got 10.5 L/100km on a unloaded highway trip to BC
Worst I ever got 25 L/100km with the enclosed trailer fighting a head wind down to Crowsnest. The truck still pulled great.

2011 crew cab 6' box 4x4 3.73 gears. 55,000 km on the truck, 9000 km with the trailer. I don't baby it. I just drive it and get what I get.

That's the same as my hemi.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Life time fuel mileage on my DIC is 18.6l/100km. Thats on a 2011 Duramax city ,hwy combined and always pulling something.Diesel fuel is pricey this winter about 10-15 cents/litre more than reg gas

maxpower

Reaction score
For Fuel mileage checkout fuelly.com. People submit their vehicles mileage either each time they fill or whenever. Its good for a more accurate mileage calc.

Sample size is key to mileage as it blends all the driving habits together.

Here is the Ford 2012 Ecoboost mileage.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got about 35000 k on my ecoboost with 3:55 rear end and its got all the power I need I hall a 20 foot cargo with 4 sleds and it has no problem anywhere the faster you go the more gas it uses and it will go
I also have a full bed tool box that is about 500 plus pounds
thinking of adding a set of air bags with auto leveling im always getting the brights at night
the mileage isn't really any better than my sons 2010 dodge hemi but I think I can out pull him
anyone needing trailer tow mirrors go to ebay. I got a set for less than half price of ford and they look exactly like factory they are heated have the turn light and puddle lights only thing they are not out darkening for night
over all it is a great truck

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For Fuel mileage checkout fuelly.com. People submit their vehicles mileage either each time they fill or whenever. Its good for a more accurate mileage calc.

Sample size is key to mileage as it blends all the driving habits together.

Here is the Ford 2012 Ecoboost mileage.

49 fill ups
29876km tracked
4938L of fuel

16.53L/100 average

Last edited:

Toro

Reaction score
I've heard great things about the Ford Ecoboosts, I own a V-8 Ford, have owned Dodge Diesels, driven Chevy Duramaxs, pulling hard is great but things get really interesting when it's time to stop! Flat lands no problem, loaded 28ft trailer and mountain roads in the winter are a different story. When the trailer outweighs the truck and electric trailer brakes are the only option on a bad slope in a panic stop sometimes it's better to have a bigger truck and not as great fuel milage! .....just saying!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I don't exactly baby it. But the 6 speed sure helps the newer ones.

The same "6 speed" they have always had behind the 5.7....... Lol. The 545RFE and now called the 65RFE is still the same trans..... They always have had 2nd and 2nd prime. I could access the 2nd prime gear under upshift in my old 09 just like the new ones do by selecting manual mode. The 65RFE doesn't use 2nd prime gear under upshift in regular automatic mode..... just downshift, just like they always have. The only change I can find between the 545RFE in my old 09 versus the 65RFE is you can access 6th in manual ( ERS) mode....... whereas I couldn't. Whooptee doo........

The 845RFE may proving interesting, not that I care too much for the engines it's bolted too....

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The same "6 speed" they have always had behind the 5.7....... Lol. The 545RFE and now called the 65RFE is still the same trans..... They always have had 2nd and 2nd prime. I could access the 2nd prime gear under upshift in my old 09 just like the new ones do by selecting manual mode. The 65RFE doesn't use 2nd prime gear under upshift in regular automatic mode..... just downshift, just like they always have. The only change I can find between the 545RFE in my old 09 versus the 65RFE is you can access 6th in manual ( ERS) mode....... whereas I couldn't. Whooptee doo........

The 845RFE may proving interesting, not that I care too much for the engines it's bolted too....

Yeah, I noticed that in my 09 as well.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure which is more insane, pulling a 9000lb trailer with an Eco boost or 6.2 rated to pull 11300 two or three times a year. (That's me). And pulling an atv enclosed 6000 lb a few times a year. Or guys running one tons as daily driver 365 days of the year, paying 150 for oil changes, 100 air and fuel filter changes, twice the price for tires, getting worse mileage, lifting them for 10 grand. Then they don't understand why the u joints fall out and why it's worth 1/2 what they spent on in 2 years down the road (used to be me). Truck arguments kind of like what's the best oil threads no winners in the end.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure which is more insane, pulling a 9000lb trailer with an Eco boost or 6.2 rated to pull 11300 two or three times a year. (That's me). And pulling an atv enclosed 6000 lb a few times a year. Or guys running one tons as daily driver 365 days of the year, paying 150 for oil changes, 100 air and fuel filter changes, twice the price for tires, getting worse mileage, lifting them for 10 grand. Then they don't understand why the u joints fall out and why it's worth 1/2 what they spent on in 2 years down the road (used to be me). Truck arguments kind of like what's the best oil threads no winners in the end.

However there are some truths to some of the points you have stated.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score

1.) Do your own maintaince. Syn Oil and filter, with resuable air filter; $110
2.) If your pulling anything you should not need a lift, shame on you that do.
3.)Chip, I average 18-20mpg empty and 12mpg pullin 24000lbs.
4.) My 17" 10 ply tires will cost the same as putting 17" 10 ply tire on your half ton.
5.) U-Joints well 800ft/lbs will tear anything up, but when you replace them put in greaseable. by the way your half ton,if it is the same as my 06 u-joints will cost you 150 bucks min. to replace each

Like u said NO-body wins

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing I find funny is people bringing up the trailer weight to truck weight issue.
Seriously wtf if that is your real belief then every truck driver on the road is an idiot the way I understand their statements anyways. We haul 150-200000 lbs or more with trucks that are tare weighted at 11-12000 many even less far larger and more significant gap in weights than hauling a 8-9000 lb trailer with a unit that tares at around 5-6000 lbs

So where is the logic in those statements?
Fact of the matter is many of the new half tons are legally rated to tow substantially more than their predecessors and are thus making the 3/4 tons am antiquated unit. That has no or very little benefit over the 1/2 ton.
If you need the load rating higher you need a 1 ton if your hauling a sled deck on an extended or crew cab unit you need a 1 ton. Otherwise the 1/2 ton is the way to go.
Oh and back to the title of the thread have talked to many guys now that have the ego boost and they haul everything you throw at it nicely. Only problem is that no matter what you do to it it will always sound like a car

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only problem is that no matter what you do to it it will always sound like a car

More like a very quiet model "T" with the ticking injectors. I always feel quite inadequate parked next to my buddy's diesel, but I get over it. :p

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing I find funny is people bringing up the trailer weight to truck weight issue.
Seriously wtf if that is your real belief then every truck driver on the road is an idiot the way I understand their statements anyways. We haul 150-200000 lbs or more with trucks that are tare weighted at 11-12000 many even less far larger and more significant gap in weights than hauling a 8-9000 lb trailer with a unit that tares at around 5-6000 lbs

So where is the logic in those statements?
Fact of the matter is many of the new half tons are legally rated to tow substantially more than their predecessors and are thus making the 3/4 tons am antiquated unit. That has no or very little benefit over the 1/2 ton.
If you need the load rating higher you need a 1 ton if your hauling a sled deck on an extended or crew cab unit you need a 1 ton. Otherwise the 1/2 ton is the way to go.
Oh and back to the title of the thread have talked to many guys now that have the ego boost and they haul everything you throw at it nicely. Only problem is that no matter what you do to it it will always sound like a car

Mr. Magnet....with the new SAE tow rating system about to apply to all new pickups, the tow wars may be coming to somewhat of a end. Many truck ratings are actually about to drop. Those myths of being able to tow more than the rating will be crushed for sure. In the end, Towing ore than ratings just means at some point, somethings going to give.....and I sure hope my family isn't around when it does.

Back to the ECO boost. A couple years back camping in the Kootenays, I spoke to guy who just pulled into the campground with one. I was intrigued. He had a 28 foot TT, three boys and a lot of stuff in the trailer and box. He said this was his first day towing and on steep grades he was pulling past diesel trucks.

Bully Dog was touting a custom tune with their Triple Dog programmer giving the Ecoboost 404 RWHP and 446 Ft/Lbs of torque. Damn impressive for a small CI displacement engine.

Top Bottom