How are the ford ecoboosts for towing?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 3.5boost 5.5' box 3.73 gears. average winter so far is 15.8L/100. Low was 12.5L/100 with a strong tail wind. norm unloaded is about 14.5 95%highway @ 120 most of the time. I don't see how you guys are getting 12.5 on average. Sounds like bullcrap to me.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same way dodges are getting 11.7 with the hemi 80-100kph and a tail wind

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same way dodges are getting 11.7 with the hemi 80-100kph and a tail wind
My buddy has 2011 1500 with the hemi and he tows a toyhauler 30f bumper tow.He;s got Air bags and ride rites @100kph he get 6.7 mpg ,but to me it over loaded 10100 pounds is to much for a half ton.O ya his fight is it's rated for 10200 pounds with 393 gears witch he has.?:confused:

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Bull crap? Sorry those are real numbers. How do I get them you ask? Well I'm 70 years old, been a professional driver, advanced driving technique instructor, motorcycle racer, car racer for 50 of them. Same truck with different operator gets around 14l/100 average. So if safety and fuel economy and vehicle longevity are your primary goals, rather than arriving somewhere 32 seconds quicker, annoying the crap out of your passengers and fellow road users, learn to drive.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Im not to concerned about the new half ton pulling alot of weight. After all my vehicle is biggger...therefore I win..right?

What I am concerned about is the 78 year, diabetic, going on his 3rd triple bypass, taking 15 different pills, still smoking, and driving a 13 foot tall 55 foot long single/tandem axle 550hp cummins powered airbrake equipped, 19000+kg, retierment home on wheels.........with a CLASS 5!

There that outa stir it!
:beer:

Moose

Reaction score
-Badnews if you like your 2010 with the 5.4 the eco will be way better powerwise and a bit better milage

-foxstar45 I check wells with mine so it idles lots and my L/100k is pretty well dead on with yours

-Like i said in post #22 i have a puma 31bhss BUMPERPULL and it handles it very well. I have been over the scales and with my dist. hitch i am NOT overweight and thats per axle. I had a 1996 f-250 7.3l previous to my new truck and the "1/2" handles the trailer BETTER.

-pulling my trailer i get from 7mpg to 13mpg depends on how fast i drive and the wind. (37l to 20lper 100km) , my deisel had some upgrades and always got 12mpg (25l per 100k) no matter the conditions

-also stay away from the fuel with ethanol in it makes a noticable differance(mostly reg and midgrade and some premiums)

Hope this helps somebody

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup like he said the f150 in recent years hauls the mail parcels and all.
I pull a 33.5 ft bumper pull with 2slides with mine and still legal mileage around 25l/100 km if I remember right when pulling the trailer. Only hauled it four times last year, new trailer, but did a awesome job at it. Our friends hauled it in for some warrenty work yesterday as my truck is at ye body shop still. Pulled it in with their dodge dually circa 08. Could not believe I was keeping up to them last year with my half ton and that trailer.
Never got a chance to run the egoboost with a trailer now kinda wishing I did.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Grizl L Bar. See your from my old home town, we probably know each other. Almost fell off my chair laughing. Describes me exactly. 70 years old, had quint bypass 3 years ago, haul my 16 foot enclosed with the 40 foot diesel pusher (500 Horse). Or the Ecoboost. Only difference is I let my class 1 expire a few years ago. You can spot the class 5 guys a long way off though, they drive with one wheel on the white line and have the left turn signal on. Just kidding guys. See ya on the road to Arizona in 2 weeks.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bull crap? Sorry those are real numbers. How do I get them you ask? Well I'm 70 years old, been a professional driver, advanced driving technique instructor, motorcycle racer, car racer for 50 of them. Same truck with different operator gets around 14l/100 average. So if safety and fuel economy and vehicle longevity are your primary goals, rather than arriving somewhere 32 seconds quicker, annoying the crap out of your passengers and fellow road users, learn to drive.

How the H does the truck know how old I am when I set the cruise at 120? lol. Don't explain your racing resume. No one cares. NO ONE! I've never heard of a race where you practice improving fuel mileage driving around town in a half ton. You must get lapped a lot at your mx races.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Grizl L Bar. See your from my old home town, we probably know each other. Almost fell off my chair laughing. Describes me exactly. 70 years old, had quint bypass 3 years ago, haul my 16 foot enclosed with the 40 foot diesel pusher (500 Horse). Or the Ecoboost. Only difference is I let my class 1 expire a few years ago. You can spot the class 5 guys a long way off though, they drive with one wheel on the white line and have the left turn signal on. Just kidding guys. See ya on the road to Arizona in 2 weeks.

HAHA!
Ya don't get me wrong at least you have a clue what you are doing and undertand stopping and following distance. Does the last name Cordel ring any bells, originally from Halkirk.

AS far as the thread goes...
Friend has eco extcab 4x4. Pulls a 5th. Used to have 3/4 hemi. says they should put hemis in a minivan. So ya he is impressed. But he did have to do airbags.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half tons Rock...For haulin groceries...Anything more get a real Truck.

My Eco does rock for hauling groceries across town or pulling a 27 foot enclosed through the mountains. I did the 1 ton diesel thing for 8 years. Been there, done that, paid for it. There are still things better left to a heavy duty, but the Eco is a lot more versatile than meany will give it credit for. On my trip to Fernie last week I hit the 9,000 km mark pulling my enclosed (almost 55,000 km on the truck) and it still amazes me what this truck will do. Still no regrets, and I don't miss my old diesels.

Last edited:

sicamoose

Reaction score
Interesting topic.....

I have been thinking of 'downgrading' from my 2008 F350 supercrew longbox (airbags, AFE intake, delete kit, edge chip - always set on level 2) to either a tundra or f150. I like the tundra for looks and resale and i like the ford for price and towing abilities.

I am in property management/development and do a lot of city miles. I do have a 12 ft dump trailer which sometimes can be loaded pretty heavy. For camping I have a bigfoot fiberglass 21.5 ft trailer.

I guess my desire is to get better gas mileage. Right now i am chucking in around $130 per week ($6500 annually of diesel. I LIKE having the diesel when i NEED it (the landfill in Vernon is up a fairly long hill), BUT 90% of the time i don't need a one tonne. Are the 1/4 tonnes that much better on gas?

Am nervous of getting into a 1/4 tonne wondering what everyone thoughts were. Hope i am kinda on topic with this post - if not I will delete and create new post.

thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting topic.....

I have been thinking of 'downgrading' from my 2008 F350 supercrew longbox (airbags, AFE intake, delete kit, edge chip - always set on level 2) to either a tundra or f150. I like the tundra for looks and resale and i like the ford for price and towing abilities.

I am in property management/development and do a lot of city miles. I do have a 12 ft dump trailer which sometimes can be loaded pretty heavy. For camping I have a bigfoot fiberglass 21.5 ft trailer.

I guess my desire is to get better gas mileage. Right now i am chucking in around $130 per week ($6500 annually of diesel. I LIKE having the diesel when i NEED it (the landfill in Vernon is up a fairly long hill), BUT 90% of the time i don't need a one tonne. Are the 1/4 tonnes that much better on gas?

Am nervous of getting into a 1/4 tonne wondering what everyone thoughts were. Hope i am kinda on topic with this post - if not I will delete and create new post.

thanks

wouldn't a 1/4 tonne be more like a ranger or tacoma?

what you are looking at would be classified as a 1/2 tonne (F150, Tacoma, Titan etc)

van isle

Reaction score
Interesting topic.....

thanks

Wait 2 months and the new Tundra will be shown at the chicago auto show. Then everyone will have there newset trucks out and you can compare apples to apples.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Eco does rock for hauling groceries across town or pulling a 27 foot enclosed through the mountains. I did the 1 ton diesel thing for 8 years. Been there, done that, paid for it. There are still things better left to a heavy duty, but the Eco is a lot more versatile than meany will give it credit for. On my trip to Fernie last week I hit the 9,000 km mark pulling my enclosed (almost 55,000 km on the truck) and it still amazes me what this truck will do. Still no regrets, and I don't miss my old diesels.
I'm in the same boat as you. Love the Diesel but don't really need one . I drive about 6 blocks to and from work and only pull a 28 ft enclosed to the mountains and does a stand up job at that. Had a few buddies with new Cummins scratchin there heads on the way to Revy as they could not believe how it pulled .

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new F350 with the 6.2 gas engine, I am really impressed how it pulls. It does use fuel though...18l/100kms empty, and about 26l/100kms with 12000lbs behind it going the speed limit.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new F350 with the 6.2 gas engine, I am really impressed how it pulls. It does use fuel though...18l/100kms empty, and about 26l/100kms with 12000lbs behind it going the speed limit.
I have an 8.1L GM....pulls like a freight train and has excellent weight rating, I get much the same mileage loaded and empty. nice to see people being honest about their mileage.

Top Bottom