Help! Temperature Control & Airflow Direction Broke

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need some help :dunno:

my 09 duramax out of no where stopped changing temperature and changing airflow direction.. its stuck on its last setting from about a week ago! I can change the digital displays temperature and airflow direction, but the changes don't actually physically happen. The fan speed i can still control, but not the other stuff..

any chance someone has the fuse layout/breakdown on the duramax? i can tell what some of the fuses are but not all.. and when you consult the manual that came with the truck it says for a diesel engine consult the duramax manual.. welll somehow I don't have one of those..

and a last note..any way an aftermarket remote starter could have caused any of this? and if i bring it to the dealer for check out/warranty do you think theyll just push it back out at me and say 'its your remote starter' ?? the guys at the company who put it in have never heard of this happening before..

a huge thanks in advance.. really hope someone has some experience w/ this

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

my 09 duramax out of no where stopped changing temperature and changing airflow direction.. its stuck on its last setting from about a week ago! I can change the digital displays temperature and airflow direction, but the changes don't actually physically happen. The fan speed i can still control, but not the other stuff..

any chance someone has the fuse layout/breakdown on the duramax? i can tell what some of the fuses are but not all.. and when you consult the manual that came with the truck it says for a diesel engine consult the duramax manual.. welll somehow I don't have one of those..

and a last note..any way an aftermarket remote starter could have caused any of this? and if i bring it to the dealer for check out/warranty do you think theyll just push it back out at me and say 'its your remote starter' ?? the guys at the company who put it in have never heard of this happening before..

Might have to ask Summitric ................

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

it is possible it is out of calibraqtion and needs a reprogram,and rule #1 of diag is remove or disable any aftermarket devices so if the the ecm did not recieve a sig from the hvac module because of the r/s then it will not be warrenty but there pretty good at amp and should help you out

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 09 half sierra, its a common problem with them, it has to do with the actuator that controls the blend door, do you have stuff on your dash? like pens, paper clips, etc, i was told by the dealer that small objects can fall down the vent and jam the blend door. Usually covered under warranty unless they find a foreign object then your on the hook for the repair.

If you find a shop that will fix it let me know cause I'd like mine fixed as well.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks. ya i have heard of the units just dying in the newer models.. but no way it could be in my fuses then? and ill disconnect the module tonight or 2moro night to test check that it is/isnt affecting the hvac module.. and update when i do (at work, sorry)..

certainly nothing on the dash.. truck stays spotless.. but good thought.. only way i see that pertaining is if the previous owner had something.. though ive had the truck for 3-4months now it should have been affected before this..

ya im hoping amp will co-operate if it comes down to it.. but ill do the disconnect check first.. my buddy who installed it wasnt around and I dont wanna start monkeying with wires i know nothing about..

any other suggestions welcome :)

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine crapped put after a year on a brand new truck, some guys say if you disconnect the fuse to the module and let it sit overnight then plug it back in the module relearns itself but it didnt fix mine, def check your fuses but all the controls still work then it aint a fuse. Maybe yours isnt as bad as mine. mine on the coldest setting will blow warm air out the driver vents and cool air out the pass vents.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mines an 09 so just a year old now.. i checked some fuses but wasnt sure what all of them were for.. ill maybe try undoing the fuse for the module tonight to try the re-learn.. my digital display changes but nothing in the truck does. its stuck on 31C foot and defrost.. except the defrost is only out the 2corners for the windows and not the top

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well tried disconnecting the starter, and system didnt work. tried a few other things but still no go. disconnected the battery before bed, will reconnect tonight after work to see if the module somehow re-learns itself.. if not i guess to amp i go on thurs! :(

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
needs the HVAC control module. It's got circuit boards in it,so i'd let the dealer scan it and check,it'll store DTC's.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In white6's case it might be the HVAC module that's gone, in mine its the actuators, they replaced the drivers one and its still bugered, teh pass one is up under the dash somewhere that they have to take the whole dashboard out to get to it, and its about an 8 hr job, so if there's a foriegn body in there thats causeing the issue then I'm on the hook for the 8 hrs of labour to remove and replace.:mad:

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hvac worked fine until I had my batteries disconnected. When I hooked them up again the passenger side temp control would work but the drivers only blew cold, as well it only blew thru the defrost. (default I think)

Going to my ever faithful website for info.

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

I found many threads on the subject, just go to the electrical and cruise the pages.

You'll also find that a good mechanic can change the actuator without dash removal, however I ended up taking mine to Shaw and as a result I'm $900.00 poorer.

HVAC no longer working after tuner install - Diesel Place

Good Luck
Chris

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well trucks booked into the dealer.. hafta wait 2 weeks :mad:
buddy ripped out my entire remote starter last night.. hvac still don't work nor does the factory remote start :confused: gonna disconnect the battery and drain the system, trying factory reset. see if any of that works.

even worse now my buddy doesn't want to re-install the system, so ill hafta take it to edmonton and lose about 800$ in a shop there for install :rant:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well trucks booked into the dealer.. hafta wait 2 weeks :mad:
buddy ripped out my entire remote starter last night.. hvac still don't work nor does the factory remote start :confused: gonna disconnect the battery and drain the system, trying factory reset. see if any of that works.

even worse now my buddy doesn't want to re-install the system, so ill hafta take it to edmonton and lose about 800$ in a shop there for install :rant:

I think you need some new buddies haha.. good luck with the truck hope its simpler than it seems. :beer:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i bought aftermarket for a few reasons
1) distance
2) two way communication
3) alarm system
4) adjustable run times

and from what i had heard the upgrade wasnt worth the money bc it didnt make it any better for distance etc.. but happily enough i pulled my battery cables and the factory remote starter began working again. dropping it off to the dealer tomorrow.

any idea as to if you can extend the original bumper to bumper warranty on these things? lol

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i bought aftermarket for a few reasons
1) distance
2) two way communication
3) alarm system
4) adjustable run times

and from what i had heard the upgrade wasnt worth the money bc it didnt make it any better for distance etc.. but happily enough i pulled my battery cables and the factory remote starter began working again. dropping it off to the dealer tomorrow.

any idea as to if you can extend the original bumper to bumper warranty on these things? lol

yep you can ask to buy gmpp,gm's aftermarket warrenty,but you know you have factory powertrain warrenty to 160,000 right,gmpp would cover all the other little things like suspension

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep you can ask to buy gmpp,gm's aftermarket warrenty,but you know you have factory powertrain warrenty to 160,000 right,gmpp would cover all the other little things like suspension

READ the gmpp paperwork 1st. There's allot of stuff they will NOT cover.
They classify stuff like tranny lines as a wear item. Talked to a few people when I worked at the local GM dealer that the gmpp warranty was a waste of $2500.00

Top Bottom