Helmet

doofreak

Reaction score
Time for a new sledding helmet, must be as light as possible. What are your recommendations? Thx

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If weight is the most important consideration look at downhill mtb helmets.

Kali's is DOT approved, same helmet Motorfist used for their alpha. I have the Alpha, advertised weight is 1050g and is considerably smaller in physical size than other manufactures. Only down side from it, is that its cold as hell on cooler days. Notice a huge improvment wearing a smaller helmet less neck fatigue, more mobility etc. I won't go back to a "larger" helment
Also in the market for a new helmet, was hoping to try something different buy can't find any the same or less weight so may stick with it for another year.. below is the link for the new version of the Kali

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kali Avatar here... 750gr. Love it and works great for all conditions up to -15c. I would recommend this too any mtn rider.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an FXR Boost helmet last year and love it. It’s really light compared to my old 509
6a229e88cb4c6a0ca833fb89d44c93f4.png

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kali Avatar here... 750gr. Love it and works great for all conditions up to -15c. I would recommend this too any mtn rider.

who rides when its colder than -15 anyways lol Only in Golden.....

The Avatar lists 830gr for a medium. Have you had any durability concerns with the Kali? I was going to replace my Suomy which I have had some issues with the threaded visor inserts spinning in the shell and just fragile visors to the Airoh's (Aviator is 950gr) as the visors seem more durable, but the Kali's have caught my attention.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why it was, but that motorfist alpha lid was the most uncomfortable thing I had ever tried on, which sucks, because I wanted one in the worst way. Tried numerous ones as well with no luck. It honestly felt like it was missing all the padding from the inside.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who rides when its colder than -15 anyways lol Only in Golden.....

The Avatar lists 830gr for a medium. Have you had any durability concerns with the Kali? I was going to replace my Suomy which I have had some issues with the threaded visor inserts spinning in the shell and just fragile visors to the Airoh's (Aviator is 950gr) as the visors seem more durable, but the Kali's have caught my attention.

I have motorfists version of the Kali and I've warrantied it once and just dealt with the problems since. None of the trim stays on very well but other than that it's been good. I will be going Airoh next.

Not sure why it was, but that motorfist alpha lid was the most uncomfortable thing I had ever tried on, which sucks, because I wanted one in the worst way. Tried numerous ones as well with no luck. It honestly felt like it was missing all the padding from the inside.
Yup found the same thing, felt like a carbon shell with no padding. Light though.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Kali today. It’s light, only 60 grams lighter than my Suomys , the shell is physically smaller which I like but as someone mentioned there isn’t a lot of foam.

Price was right, but I may return it.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a few different carbon helmets, all better than the traditional helmets at the time. Picked up a TOBE for this year and this thing is LIGHT and the price was reasonable.. cant speak for durability or fit/finish longevity as of yet but I'm pumped for this one.. my best to worst helmets so far have been: 1-Kali 2-HJC 3-509

Suomys look amazing just seemed too expensive for me at the time of buying, have not heard anything negative about them

Last edited:

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boys have the Tobe and they are feather light. Good durability so far. No breath box so you have to plan for that.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Tobe's are really light and fairly ugly. It also felt like it only came down my jaw about 7/8's of the way. Feels like part of my face/ neck is sticking out the bottom, kind of weird.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Tobe's are really light and fairly ugly. It also felt like it only came down my jaw about 7/8's of the way. Feels like part of my face/ neck is sticking out the bottom, kind of weird.

This years Tobes are made by Airoh. They are Airoh Terminators.

The previous ones looked like old Bell Moto helmets.

You need an adventure helmet for your double chin lol.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This years Tobes are made by Airoh. They are Airoh Terminators.

The previous ones looked like old Bell Moto helmets.

You need an adventure helmet for your double chin lol.
I was referring to the old ones. The new ones are airohs and their colours suck but look better than the old ones.

I can lose my double chin what are you going to do about all that grey creeping in? lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the old ones. The new ones are airohs and their colours suck but look better than the old ones.

I can lose my double chin what are you going to do about all that grey creeping in? lol

I can shave, you can’t fix your face.

Top Bottom