Helmet camera

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinkin too, the cable would be a benefit. you take a hard bail you may loose the thing in the snow, or if it just fell off its mount.

to me the vio looks more durable, i do alot of tree work and it needs to take a hit haha branches and all. i like the fact that the military uses it as well, shows alot about the product.

I'm sure the Vio is a decent camera, but two things that turned me off was the price and that it is not hi-def. The mounts for the GoPro are very sturdy, but I have a tether if I'm using the suction cup mount.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the go pro wide (non hd) does ok too, here are some samples...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYvegcCDh2Q[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1K8ryYF5c[/YOUTUBE]

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has more of a fish eye effect !

There are 5 video settings on the gopro HD1080P

R1 Wide Angle Std def VGA
R2 Widest HD Vidio 720P
R3 Same as R2 but ultra slow playback
R4 Tallest HD Video 960P
R5 Full HD Video 1080P (Field of view is 25% less at 127 degree vs all other modes at 170 degree)

Great Camera....even took it diving.....

If you want to see some funny video, set the camera to watch the rider/driver....

Takes great stills as well my only complataint is the size of the screen, so reading what mode and making changes requires glasses for me anyways.....

mattyfitz

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Here is my 5 cents worth:

The GoPro has the best video quality and the mounts are pretty good. The major downside is it's pretty ugly and can catch on stuff (trees, etc) easily because of it's shape. The sounds isn't brilliant, you get a lot of click/clack sound of the camera rattling in the case and the mount rattling as well. Starting/stopping with mitts on is really hit and miss and the beeps it gives off to let you know if you are recording or not are not loud enough to hear with a helmet or sled/bike on.

It should be noted that the GoPro doesn't shoot true 1080p - it records in 1080p, but it does it by cropping the video and upscaling it. The video from the GoPro actually looks a lot better in 720p mode (and it does look awesome). Tis camera uses a rolling shutter which can result in wavey/wobbley video, especially when you are going faster (although most people don't even notice this effect)

I find the VIO camera to be the easiest to use. The large colour screen is invaluable - being able to check your clips while you're out and about is invaluable. The battery life is also at least twice as good as for the GoPro and the mounting is super stable. The downside is the video isn't HD (although ask yourself if you really need it - HD video does result in huge files and you need a good computer to edit and play them) and you have to carry the separate recording unit. The VIO camera uses a rolling shutter so you don't get the jello effect that you can get with a rolling shutter.

I could harp on all day about these two camera (I must confess I'm the owner of in Vancouver and have been using helmet cameras for years). At the end of the day there isn't one particular camera that does everything brilliantly, so it comes down to working out what's most important to you (video quality, usability, price, battery life, etc) and trying to work out which camera best suits your needs (which can be very hard, there is a serious lack of reliable/informative reviews out there).

jon

Reaction score
i have a go pro hd......it works great the video quality is great, clearly shows me hitting trees.....i can re-live replacing my hood, a-arm, shock and belly pan over and over again thanks to go pro......

Technobee

Reaction score
Bought hubby Pov 1.5 for Christmas. Not only can you use it as a helmet cam, but if you purchase ram mounts, you can shoot video from anywhere on your quad/sled. And those shots are way better than helmet!!!

Top Bottom