Hell Half Acre Debate

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after watching the clips last night on TV, they could not put ATVs in a worse light. The report wasn't just slanted, it was stacked against any ATV use at all. Where is this supposed balanced reporting. Having said that, Bogger is right, jacked up souped up ATVs can make an absolute mess if the rider chooses to.

cementfist27

Reaction score
This sounds like an absolute mess! I have never personally ridden this area so take my comments for what its worth, but from what I have read this may be an impossible battle to win. The primary issue here seems to be getting the support of local residents to allow public access to the land there. Established homesteads and farms have every right to be concerned with misuse of the area they inhabit.

We also need to keep in mind although the idea of installing controlled proper trail systems, and revitalizing the area are tremendous ideas, but the cost time, money, and effort. Tax dollars would need to be infused to restore the luster of latter years.

As ATV club members and enthusiasts we would have to put our time, money, and effort where our mouths are...Fixing what we as a group (we are all lumped together whether we like it or not) have created...Without public support monetarily, or otherwise. To me, this is the only way we show we are legitimate and serious about improving the area. Winning hearts and minds only happen through amazing dedication and establishing that your group is organized and does what they say they will.

So the question is...Who wants to pony up their personal finances and time?

Once this is in the works, we as a group, may have a chance of getting the support of the government and the residents. Unfortunately, the easier way out is to close it down and move to another sacrificial ground.

What do we want???

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This sounds like an absolute mess! I have never personally ridden this area so take my comments for what its worth, but from what I have read this may be an impossible battle to win. The primary issue here seems to be getting the support of local residents to allow public access to the land there. Established homesteads and farms have every right to be concerned with misuse of the area they inhabit.

We also need to keep in mind although the idea of installing controlled proper trail systems, and revitalizing the area are tremendous ideas, but the cost time, money, and effort. Tax dollars would need to be infused to restore the luster of latter years.

As ATV club members and enthusiasts we would have to put our time, money, and effort where our mouths are...Fixing what we as a group (we are all lumped together whether we like it or not) have created...Without public support monetarily, or otherwise. To me, this is the only way we show we are legitimate and serious about improving the area. Winning hearts and minds only happen through amazing dedication and establishing that your group is organized and does what they say they will.

So the question is...Who wants to pony up their personal finances and time?

Once this is in the works, we as a group, may have a chance of getting the support of the government and the residents. Unfortunately, the easier way out is to close it down and move to another sacrificial ground.

What do we want???

you are absolutely correct..... Time & Money are required, but in talking to some people yesterday afternoon and last night, I know the time won't be the biggest issue, and if approached correctly it may not be all about the money either.... Lots of grants are available out there, you just have to know how to go after them.

I'm not writing this area off yet, I have however read their proposal to the County and it needed a lot of work. The news story on that link says that the "shutting down the area" proposal goes before council on February 19, this will also be interesting. How are they going to keep EVERYONE out of there?

I plan to attend the meeting on Tuesday Feb 12 @ 7pm at Rosenthal Hall, and would like to see many others out there as well, lets see what we can do to save ATVing in Parkland County.

TG

Quadzilla700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on being there too. I'd like to find out more about this as I ride there a few times a year. Planning on joining them as well as as Lac Ste Anne atv club this year.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yellowhead Overlanders Meeting
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 @ 7pm
Rosenthal Hall.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hey Bruce... how you been???

I'm planning on being there too. I'd like to find out more about this as I ride there a few times a year. Planning on joining them as well as as Lac Ste Anne atv club this year.

chop

Reaction score
hey Bruce did you get the old yami back together? see ya tomorrow

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Was a good meeting last night, thanks to all who attended. Learned lots about their plans for HHA, and that they are not going to give up and are going to push thru. However, we need to get membership numbers up. You folks in the county, what will it take to get you & your family to join up to this club to help us get our numbers up to make a more powerful representation to the County and other levels of government?

I will have a copy of their membership form up this week, and we should have a facebook page running this week as well. With a website soon to follow.

chop

Reaction score
hay TG , any word on the club membership form and fb page?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to go but heading back to Ft Mac for the week, keep us posted.

Local

Reaction score
Parkland County has said no to the stagging area at Hells Half Acre and will be working with residents to put restrictions to OHV use in this area

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parkland County has said no to the stagging area at Hells Half Acre and will be working with residents to put restrictions to OHV use in this area

Good IMO. You see pics of that area and it is Fawked. I would hate it if I was a resident in the area. The noise, garbage, property damage, environment damage, etc would be crazy. If you wanna year up some land buy your own leave the crown alone.
I know most guys aren't like this but it's another case of a few azzhats ruining it for everyone sledding areas and trails are coming next guys.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The province is not really quad friendly , next thing you know they will ban the atv's all together lol

chop

Reaction score
I watched the council meeting and all i can say is it is a sad day in the ohv world . another stab in the back . the last time i looked i paid for my reg. were does this money go !. general rev for the tax payers . umm

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Load the quads(& sleds) up and head to the toolies,NOT residential subdivisions..............lol. For all the guys who rip around subdivisions ,you will be the ones to thank when it is all shut down.................
Out of sight,out of mind !!!!

Top Bottom