Has anyone successfully converted and registered a Yamaha WR 450 for Street Use??

Rusty99

Reaction score
Hey,
I've got a deposit on a used 2012 Yamaha WR 450f. The bike has never been registered and is dealers demo from last year. I was hoping add turn signals, horn and mirrors to make it street legal.

I believe its techinally a "off road" bike but I want to make it "street legal"

However I've been informed that due to the way the serial number has been registered with the government upon the bike entering Canada that I'm out of luck for registering it for on road use.

Anyone been able to jump the loop holes etc and find a way to register a Yamaha WR 450f for street use.

cheers
Russ

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did it with an '06 CRF 450X, but I have heard it has since become next to impossible to do now. the designation of the bike (ie: off road, street legal) is now in the serial number and not on the NVIS sheet. when they punch in the number it comes up on the computer as off road and cannot be registered as anything other than off road. I was lucky, my bike was brand new and the girl at the registries counter didn't know why it wouldn't go through and punched some kind of override on the system and I got my plate. been stopped a few times on the street and had the plate run by the RCMP and all came back legal. I'm sure my insurance would drop me like a hot potato if I killed someone on the street though. only sure way is to find one "grandfathered" in like mine. good luck

Rusty99

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. I'm really sitting on the fence about this bike now. Great bike, will do everything I need it to do. Hmmmm what to do?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine up here has a 92 CR 500 and and 89 KX 500 plated.....how fun would those be? the CR is a motard setup. he's been offered 10K for it and won't sell.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the WR but when I registered my 2013 KTM XCW the girl asked if I wanted it for off-road or street.

Stupid me, I said off-road. I would have a hard time changing it now. I have been told due to the way KTM imports bikes they do not specify their use.

As the bike is new all you can try and do is take your insurance and nvis into a registry and say it is street legal. Obviously you need to have a bike license. Once its registered you are free to do whatever you like.

sent from a top secret location

Rusty99

Reaction score
I'm picking up the bike next week in Calgary and will add the Baja Designs turn signals kit immediately. Sure hoping it goes smoothly at the registry off.

FMF

Reaction score
I'm picking up the bike next week in Calgary and will add the Baja Designs turn signals kit immediately. Sure hoping it goes smoothly at the registry off.

and the answer is...?

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I have a Husky TXC I brought in from the states and want to do this with and am contemplating doing the same with an XCW.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the answer is...?

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I have a Husky TXC I brought in from the states and want to do this with and am contemplating doing the same with an XCW.

I have a KTM EXC and I registered it as a 'street bike'. I was told by the nice lady that I could not because the serial number indicated it was an off-road bike. Long story, short: if you are the first person to register the motorcycle you can choose street or not - however if you register it as a street bike then it is up to you to make it 'street legal'. Therefore if you get pulled over by an officer of the law it is up to him/her to determine if you did your job properly and up to them to fine you accordingly. I put a very nice tight set of signal lights etc so I am 96% legal but I do not run street (dual sport) tires or mirrors so if I was pulled over I would be at the mercy of the attending officer and the mood on that particular day.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a KTM EXC and I registered it as a 'street bike'. I was told by the nice lady that I could not because the serial number indicated it was an off-road bike. Long story, short: if you are the first person to register the motorcycle you can choose street or not - however if you register it as a street bike then it is up to you to make it 'street legal'. Therefore if you get pulled over by an officer of the law it is up to him/her to determine if you did your job properly and up to them to fine you accordingly. I put a very nice tight set of signal lights etc so I am 96% legal but I do not run street (dual sport) tires or mirrors so if I was pulled over I would be at the mercy of the attending officer and the mood on that particular day.
I don't think being first to register it matters. like I said, in '05 or so they stopped giving the vehicle designation on the NVIS form. the on road/off road designation is now in the VIN number. computer tells them immediately the manufacturer's intended use for the machine regardless of previous registration. that's like saying someone bought a ninja and registered it for off road and then it could never be registered as street legal after that

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think being first to register it matters. like I said, in '05 or so they stopped giving the vehicle designation on the NVIS form. the on road/off road designation is now in the VIN number. computer tells them immediately the manufacturer's intended use for the machine regardless of previous registration. that's like saying someone bought a ninja and registered it for off road and then it could never be registered as street legal after that

With ktm when they import them to Canada they are, or atleast up until recently, not designated on or off road. It has gone by the first point of register.

The Japanese bikes are different.

My xcw could have been either. Once I made it off-road, dumb me, it would be a pain to change.

You actually would have a difficult time registering a street legal bike for off-road. I know people who have tried with scooters and such that were street legal but modified into pit bikes and such. Due to it being street legal they would not allow the change.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With ktm when they import them to Canada they are, or atleast up until recently, not designated on or off road. It has gone by the first point of register.

The Japanese bikes are different.

My xcw could have been either. Once I made it off-road, dumb me, it would be a pain to change.

You actually would have a difficult time registering a street legal bike for off-road. I know people who have tried with scooters and such that were street legal but modified into pit bikes and such. Due to it being street legal they would not allow the change.

that's interesting for sure, thanks for the info :beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine up here has a 92 CR 500 and and 89 KX 500 plated.....how fun would those be? the CR is a motard setup. he's been offered 10K for it and won't sell.

I had a 2001 CR500 motard plated for the street....totally insane bike...not as much fun as it was terrifying lol. I basically gave it away, dumb.

Top Bottom