Dual Sporting an Off-Road Bike - Saskatchewan

JackSplat

Reaction score
I installed a Baja Designs "on-road" kit. Head, tail, signal lights, mirror, horn and license plate holder. :specool:
So, now I am wondering if any one has any info on the process of making it street legal? I called SGI and they say I need to start with a VIN verification as I bought it in alberta. That was all they could say to start out the process. Can this bike even be licensed in Sask? Oh, it's a Husaberg FE450. :d I read about Green, Red, Blue sticker tags in other provinces and states but not sure how that affects Sask? Any info would be appreciated. :beer:

Before lighting kit
IMG00387.jpg

With Baja Designs kit installed.
IMG00439.jpg
IMG00441.jpg
IMG00442.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get an out of province inspection done (tell them you want it done to show all street legal requirements are met) and take it to registries with your proof of insurance and don't say a word about it being a dirt/street conversion. pick a registries in a small town, with the youngest teller you can find. then hope she just gives you the plate....

I'm not 100% sure of saskatchewan rules, but in ab you cannot register an off road bike for street use, no matter what mods have been done. if all this is successful, don't crash it into someone or something on the streets, because insurance will probably drop you like a hot potato when it all comes out in the wash if it's an at fault accident.

I have a 450X I dual sported myself and managed to get plated here in AB. my buddy then went to do his and not only did they deny him, they flagged the VIN in the computer system so he now has zero chance of ever plating that particular bike. another friend went in and asked for a highway plate on his XR400 and they just handed him one....go figure....

Last edited:

JackSplat

Reaction score
Thanks Teeroy, excellent advice. :beer: I was trying to explain what I did and where the bike comes from. I had a blank stare coming back at me! Next time I go in, it'll all be stock equipment. :d

Cowboy151

Reaction score
I have a KLX 300R with the Baja Designs kit and have it registered in Alberta. It is far easier to beg forgiveness that to ask for permission or too many questions. I agree that go with the out of province first with all equipment attached already. Cheers.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the new rules for canada are if the bike has the closed course competion only stickers thank the bike can not be registered for street use i belive they can tell this by the serial numbers

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dual sported my WR450 in Alberta. I simply walked in to a shady looking registry and asked for an on-road plate. They just wanted to see the cash and did not care about an inspection report. That bike made me a hooligan, as it was too tempting to jump the curb whenever it suited me. Not to mention the endless wheelies. I had a guy stop me and offer $1000 more than I had into it, just because he wanted to dual sport his so bad and got shut down every time he tried. Needless to say, I sold it on the spot. I've been thinking a doing another one this year, so I'll be sure to post how I registered it if I do.f

With Alberta having privatized registries I'm sure it's much easier than Sask and BC.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dual sported my WR450 in Alberta. I simply walked in to a shady looking registry and asked for an on-road plate. They just wanted to see the cash and did not care about an inspection report. That bike made me a hooligan, as it was too tempting to jump the curb whenever it suited me. Not to mention the endless wheelies. I had a guy stop me and offer $1000 more than I had into it, just because he wanted to dual sport his so bad and got shut down every time he tried. Needless to say, I sold it on the spot. I've been thinking a doing another one this year, so I'll be sure to post how I registered it if I do.f

With Alberta having privatized registries I'm sure it's much easier than Sask and BC.

i will second that it is way to easy to goof off on a dual sport i have a 2008 ktm EXCR street legal bike i also have a 2000 honda CR250 that is plated for on road as well due to a registry error years ago

hamwallet

Reaction score
Teeroy is correct about insurance. If you get into an accident or hurt someone else, your insurance company will drop you and you will be forced to settle the matter in court, without the help of your insurance company because although Your papers may say the bike is street legal, all they have to do is pull the make and model to figure out it should never have been registered as street and then you will get charged with fraud. You'd be surprised the dirt they will try and dig up on you to try and get out of settling your accident. Sometimes I wonder who the insurance company works for. I ain't trying to scare nobody but I would like to see you are prepared for any consequences.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ive herd of quite a few people doing it easily here in bc, they just dont say noting about it being and off road bike before, and make sure you have some road tires, or dual sport tires

JackSplat

Reaction score
Here is what I found in Sasky. So on saturday I walked in to local insurance vendor (SGI). Told them I have a dual sport bike purchased in Alberta. They initially were asking for a VIN verification from RCMP, but continued to punch it into the system. Since it was a new bike and I had the orig. manufacturer document (can't recall exact name) and my bill of sale, they no longer needed the VIN verification. So all said and done, I paid the PST and I now have a fully registered and insured Dual Purpose Husaberg! :) Only issue was SGI doesn't have Husaberg on file so they registered it as a KTM. Now I just gotta figure out where to mount my plate. :beer:

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great news i would mount the plate right under your rear lightmy 08 450excr ktm has the same rear under fender alos you may want to loook into the flush mount led turn signal so they do not break off in an off road laydown
DRC products makes them refered to as sicass racing on thumpetalk or ktmtalk for more info copy the following link your local dealer can get the led lights through kimpex

Top Bottom