Need advice buying a dual sport bike

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the bug to get a dual sport bike. Started looking at KLR 650s but had a buddy tell me they are mostly for road use, and are kind of a pig to ride on trails. I plan on using it mainly for zipping around the kootenays. An hour or two would be the maximum distance I would go on the road (I think, you never know I guess), with the majority of my riding being just around here and out on logging roads exploring the mountains.

At this point I am leaning towards the DRZ 400. Have heard tonnes of great feedback on this bike. Another nice thing is that it is under 400ccs so insurance is way cheaper. Bike insurance is retarded in BC compared to Alberta. Ideally looking to spend 3500, but starting to wonder what I am really going to get for that kind of money after looking around. Seems like these things dont depreciate a whole bunch from what I am seeing. I can get a brand new 2012 for 6600. The top used one on the list is a 2009 DRZ 400 with 4500km for 4500. Worth taking the risk on a four year old used bike for 2k?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a KLR650 a few years back thinking I could do both on and off road with it. Your buddy is right......it's a big heavy bike. It handled good logging roads with ease, but if I got any further off road with it than that it spent more time laying down than it did upright. On the hiway it was a little light. Great going around kootenay lake though.

Gotta think long and hard about what you want to do. In the end I ended up with 2 bikes. I bought a Suzuki 650 V-strom for a so called "dual-sport". Much more capable on the hiway and equal to the KLR on logging roads, then I picked up a DR350 for my more serious off road excursions. Best of both worlds if you can swing it.

The DRZ400 is a great bike.....if you're tall. It's a really tall bike. Even my DR350 needed to be lowered for me to be comfortable riding it at 5'10".

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a KLR600 and now a KLX400 which is made by Suzuki and is the same bike as the DRZ400. It is 2004 and brother in law bought same bike. I have 7500 kms on it and he has over 10,000. Neither bike has give us any problems other than self inflicted issues. We did have to re-jet from new but now they rip. Obviously the stock tire suck and you may want to go with a light weight muffler and battery but you will love it. The KLR is a good value but not so great in the dirt.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on the KLR being heavy and cumbersome off road. my brother had the KLR and I had the XR 650L, they were both heavy but the XR was a bit more nimble. the Suzook DRZ is a great bike, light and still holds it's own on the slab rides and is more than capable off road from quad trails to tight single track.

I plated an '06 CRF 450X, it is the best of both worlds. a little light on the highway, especially when you meet big trucks but I don't ride much slab. just enough to get to the good stuff.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a ktm EXCR 450 factory street legal but these bikes are 90% off road 10% street if you wanted to ride on roads a lot the 530 would be a better choice
but the ktms would probably not fit your budget

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think a KTM 530 EXC would be my dream bike. But at this point in life I have my first kid on the ground and more planned so Im trying to keep the budget as low as possible.

How many kms is ok to have on these things? Just wondering which ones to stay away from. 15k or more? 20?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lucked out and picked up a like new 2005 DR 650 today right here in town. Thing is in mint condition and it definitely fit into the budget. Its probably a little bulkier than the drz400 but Im a fairly big guy at 6'4 and 240 so it doesnt feel bad at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom