Let's talk mountain bikes

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a hard tail I use for down hilling at Revy, fernie, golden, baseline mountain, jump park in red deer, moose mnt, probably try Whistler out here soon. It was about 1200$ new. I modded it a bit though.

Rear suspension sure would be nice though lol

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock levels in stores are the ****s. I was more looking for best styles for entry level to the downhill stuff if I chose to go that route. Would maybe try the Valemount bike park if we go out that way this summer.

Nothing wrong with the Canadian tire bikes as a entry level... I have had one for years just to get out and ride with my kids and some trail riding.. Watched the sales you can get their higher end bikes for the same price as the cheaper ones.. Or watch your local buy and sell for a good used higher end bike but in my experience you do not see them for cheap very often. Personally i can not understand why people need to spend $2000-$10000 for a bike to ride on trails? When i was a kid we did the same thing on bikes we bought from Canadian tire or built yourself..
You can always start out cheap and upgrade in the future when you know for sure this is something you want to do..

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Lol, interesting video. That was a Walmart bike probably similar to Canadian tire. He didn’t hate it and he went down a black diamond that the bike is not designed for. I wonder if he could return it now.
Does Costco sell bikes in the season.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol, interesting video. That was a Walmart bike probably similar to Canadian tire. He didn’t hate it and he went down a black diamond that the bike is not designed for. I wonder if he could return it now.
Does Costco sell bikes in the season.

Costco did have some bikes, they were 389.99, but they only had 1 frame size.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have rode bikes for years Tyler; mega miles in the flat NWT and the prairies of Saskatchewan. I accomplished my goals of losing weight and getting into shape. The bike was a medium priced bike back in the early 1990's. I was going to get into riding again when we moved to Elkford but the terrain was not conducive to what I was used to. I found I needed a dedicated mountain bike to enjoy what I thought I would enjoy and at the time money/time was tight with building a new house. So our bikes sat unused for 20 years.

We rode 54 days last summer mostly along lake shore paths and flat pavement. The bikes and ourselves couldn't cut the "mountain trail" riding. Similar to the video above "WallyMart Huffy" chains of events happened; gravely decents, steep climbs where we had to walk/push, out of control steeper downhills through close knit trees, and a myriad of other things that were too much for us. We stuck to the flatter terrain and got into better shape and are looking forward to starting this summer. I was blown away on the Kettle Valley Rail trail with a 2% grade with how we had to continuously peddle for 4 km to reach the first goal of the first tunnel (that was a struggle) and how fast we came down to the trucks without peddling. We have bought some e-bikes and hope to do some of the quieter, more mellow logging roads. It is and will be a learning curve for sure.

Good luck and do your research so that you don't end up in a serious mechanical failure. 280# isn't for just any bike on a mountain. Lots of great advice above and IMHO, much better advice than what some run of the mill sales person is going to give you.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have rode bikes for years Tyler; mega miles in the flat NWT and the prairies of Saskatchewan. I accomplished my goals of losing weight and getting into shape. The bike was a medium priced bike back in the early 1990's. I was going to get into riding again when we moved to Elkford but the terrain was not conducive to what I was used to. I found I needed a dedicated mountain bike to enjoy what I thought I would enjoy and at the time money/time was tight with building a new house. So our bikes sat unused for 20 years.

We rode 54 days last summer mostly along lake shore paths and flat pavement. The bikes and ourselves couldn't cut the "mountain trail" riding. Similar to the video above "WallyMart Huffy" chains of events happened; gravely decents, steep climbs where we had to walk/push, out of control steeper downhills through close knit trees, and a myriad of other things that were too much for us. We stuck to the flatter terrain and got into better shape and are looking forward to starting this summer. I was blown away on the Kettle Valley Rail trail with a 2% grade with how we had to continuously peddle for 4 km to reach the first goal of the first tunnel (that was a struggle) and how fast we came down to the trucks without peddling. We have bought some e-bikes and hope to do some of the quieter, more mellow logging roads. It is and will be a learning curve for sure.

Good luck and do your research so that you don't end up in a serious mechanical failure. 280# isn't for just any bike on a mountain. Lots of great advice above and IMHO, much better advice than what some run of the mill sales person is going to give you.

Thanks Doug, I was following your adventures on Instagram last summer and look forward to continuing following them.

I'm down 20 pounds from where I was with a goal of about 240 by end of summer. So I don't want to give up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I was following your adventures on Instagram last summer and look forward to continuing following them.

I'm down 20 pounds from where I was with a goal of about 240 by end of summer. So I don't want to give up.

Good for you. I understand completely. I also understand about the boringness of walking; it is a struggle and change of trails is a good thing but not always readily accessible as "life" gets in the way. Salmon Arm is like many mountain towns and very hilly. We don't ride our bikes from home due to hills and too much traffic on the main roads. To climb up from the lake to our house is a 650' climb and we would be pushing our bikes a good part of the way so we truck them to where we ride. This summer will be better than last summer for us and we are looking forward to being back in the saddle to get the cardio working again. Keep up the good work.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I missed out on a good one:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bi...lized-hard-rock-comp-mountain-bike/1560004777
45864f40db59b23ce13b303d92a1553a.jpg

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Canadian tire bikes as a entry level... I have had one for years just to get out and ride with my kids and some trail riding.. Watched the sales you can get their higher end bikes for the same price as the cheaper ones.. Or watch your local buy and sell for a good used higher end bike but in my experience you do not see them for cheap very often. Personally i can not understand why people need to spend $2000-$10000 for a bike to ride on trails? When i was a kid we did the same thing on bikes we bought from Canadian tire or built yourself..
You can always start out cheap and upgrade in the future when you know for sure this is something you want to do..

You should come ride with us then you will see why we ride 10000 bikes. Don’t see the boys on the red bull rampage riding a crapy tire bike.
this is all about putting our 2 cents in so Tyler can find a bike. Some of us come from big back ground in riding and my opinion is go with something used and yes you do not need a $10000 bike but a good name brand is better then a cheep-o ...been there done that. Tyler is a big guy and v brakes will fail along with the rest. Injury’s and nothing worth selling at the end. It’s to bad as I just sold my devinci Ollie dh bike in large for $375. That would of been the bomb! Keep your eyes peeled Tyler your on the right track looking at the specialized.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got my old Santa Cruz Bullit I'd sell, 2001 model (?) with large frame. Needs some TLC maintenance and wear parts but rideable as is.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've got my old Santa Cruz Bullit I'd sell, 2001 model (?) with large frame. Needs some TLC maintenance and wear parts but rideable as is.
I'm in.... As long as you can point out to this newbie what needs replaced/repaired

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in.... As long as you can point out to this newbie what needs replaced/repaired

Santa Cruz Bullit was da machine in its day. Way way better than any CDN Tire bike you could buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom